News   Apr 26, 2024
 246     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 175     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 622     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

In Scarborough, close to half choose the LRT (45%), while fewer than 4-in-10 opt for the planned subway (39%). In the city as a whole, as many as 3-in-10 have no opinion (30%), while half this many are undecided in Scarborough (16%).

Read more at: http://staging-poll.forumresearch.com/post/2542/lrt-preferred-to-subway-in-scarborough/
Copyright ©Forum Research Inc.

The Globe & Mail: What Toronto’s big transit plans are forgetting: The riders

"The final proposal on the table is for a downtown relief line. As well as Mr. Ford, Ms. Chow supports this. She would use the roughly $1.5-billion saved by reverting to the Scarborough LRT proposal and would likely fund the balance through a further tax increase.

In summary, Ms. Chow's plans seem mostly grounded in fiscal realities, Mr. Tory's and Mr. Ford's proposals may be what Toronto's Chief Planner had in mind when she talked about "back of a napkin" planning.

SSE deniers are grasping at the straws, unable to explain their consistent inability to field any candidate in Scarborough elections at any level.
That's easy. People will vote for unrealistic financial plans if they think other people might pay for it and they will benefit from it. Thats much different than what they think is an actual realistic plan.

Reactions: syn
A poll conducted when the plan on the table included no Lawrence station, and asking only the Lawrence East transit riders. No surprise 93% said they prefer light rail, because specifically their commute would get worse without the station.

As the Lawrence East station is back on the table, it would be quite interesting to see what they prefer now.

That's easy. People will vote for unrealistic financial plans if they think other people might pay for it and they will benefit from it. Thats much different than what they think is an actual realistic plan.

It is remarkable that opponents of SSE call it financially unrealistic, and at the same time, claim that they would spend same amount of money on Scarborough transit but would build different lines.

Both can't be true. Either SSE is unrealistic and then their alternative plans are equally unrealistic. Or, SSE is realistic.

A poll conducted when the plan on the table included no Lawrence station, and asking only the Lawrence East transit riders. No surprise 93% said they prefer light rail, because specifically their commute would get worse without the station.

As the Lawrence East station is back on the table, it would be quite interesting to see what they prefer now.
Well ill believe it's back on the table when corona is over and we see what the financial impacts are. Last time the government had to cut back LRT funding which were significantly cheaper when there was a shortfall. I don't share your confidence that this thing is going to be built any more today with three stops as when Rob Ford proposed it the first time. I haven't even seen any designs. Maybe I need to go buy a box of napkins.

Well ill believe it's back on the table when corona is over and we see what the financial impacts are. Last time the government had to cut back LRT funding which were significantly cheaper when there was a shortfall. I don't share your confidence that this thing is going to be built any more today with three stops as when Rob Ford proposed it the first time. I haven't even seen any designs. Maybe I need to go buy a box of napkins.

Fair enough; we can't be sure until we see it built.

And yet, a poll conducted for the service model that is no longer in the plans, cannot be relevant.

It is remarkable that opponents of SSE call it financially unrealistic, and at the same time, claim that they would spend same amount of money on Scarborough transit but would build different lines.

Both can't be true. Either SSE is unrealistic and then their alternative plans are equally unrealistic. Or, SSE is realistic.

It’s a question of value for money, not absolute dollars. We live in one of the wealthiest societies ever. We could build an elevator from Ellesmere to outer space if we wanted

Last edited:
It’s a question of value for money, not absolute dollars. We live in one of the wealthiest societies ever. We could build an elevator from Ellesmere to outer space if we wanted

Exactly.

Value for money is not something the SSE offers, and a factor consistently ignored by its' proponents.

It's crazy to me that we're building this full capacity extension in Scarborough with provisions for trains to loop back since there won't be enough ridership, while 'value engineering' the RL/OL, the one line that needs as much capacity as possible.

I have no problem spending money on Scarborough transit, but I'd love to see solutions that really benefit that area of the city. The SSE budget could be used so much more effectively.

At the rate the budget is growing we'll probably be able to afford an elevator to the moon next year. :p

'Value for money' =A term the LRT lobbyists & outer Scarborough political opposition weaponized when the sad plan to build one technology with little consideration to design details in Scarboroughs overall transit network with the negative impacts to future growth in the Centre was called out.

Other subway extension or connected LRT options never stood a chance to be reviewed in detail at the City level with such overarching opposition having no interest in actually seeing the long standing issues fixed when called to the forefront of an election. Even with 99% elected political representative support at all levels and stripes of Government within Scarborough.

Classism? Racism? Entitlement? Corruption? Some of all 4? Whatever the case may be some ousiders made a crap loud of noise and refused to even attempt to work with actual Scarborough voters (Ya, not the biased TorStar polls, another issue in itself)

Thankful that the Provincial Conservatives stepped in to fix the polarized one stop mess remaining from the dysfunctional City council and we will now build a very helpful backbone line for the future.

Last edited:
Fair enough; we can't be sure until we see it built.

And yet, a poll conducted for the service model that is no longer in the plans, cannot be relevant.
I
'Value for money' =A term the LRT lobbyists & outer Scarborough political opposition weaponized when the sad plan to build one technology with little consideration to design details in Scarboroughs overall transit network with the negative impacts to future growth in the Centre was called out.

Other subway extension or connected LRT options never stood a chance to be reviewed in detail at the City level with such overarching opposition having no interest in actually seeing the long standing issues fixed when called to the forefront of an election. Even with 99% elected political representative support at all levels and stripes of Government within Scarborough.

Classism? Racism? Entitlement? Corruption? Some of all 4? Whatever the case may be some ousiders made a crap loud of noise and refused to even attempt to work with actual Scarborough voters (Ya, not the biased TorStar polls, another issue in itself)

Thankful that the Provincial Conservatives stepped in to fix the polarized one stop mess remaining from the dysfunctional City council and we will now build a very helpful backbone line for the future.
You do realize that Tory is a conservative.

You do realize that Tory is a conservative.

My take on Tory and his Mayoral terms doesn't depend on which party's card he carries in his pocket; that's mostly a theoretical question.

But if we want to discuss his place in the political spectrum .. having taken the Mayor's job, he necessarily moved closer to the centre, and effectively became a centrist, or right liberal. He often supports and executes proposals put forward by left-leaning councillors. Clearly, it was easier for Tory to work with Wynne's provincial Liberals than with Doug Ford's government.

The political landscape at the city level is very different from the provincial level, and any Mayor who doesn't want to be regularly outvoted in the council, has to take that into account.

Back