News   Mar 28, 2024
 998     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 556     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

It's easy to forget the Eglinton East LRT was supposed to be included with the 1-stop extension, until the budget ballooned and it had to be scrapped. Now there's no talk of it at all.

A refurbished RT and Eglinton East extension would've been far more beneficial for Scarborough than just the SSE.
If only Eglinton LRT between Brentcliffe and Kennedy was grade-separated (elevated) right from the start - then one branch grade-separated to STC (and Malvern) and a second on-street to UTSC (with half the frequency) could have easily been done.

It's easy to forget the Eglinton East LRT was supposed to be included with the 1-stop extension, until the budget ballooned and it had to be scrapped. Now there's no talk of it at all.

A refurbished RT and Eglinton East extension would've been far more beneficial for Scarborough than just the SSE.

I don't remember that the EELRT was ever actually scrapped, or Council ever voting to do something else with the funding, Of course Tory would not have let pesky details like that stop the Subway.

I don't remember that the EELRT was ever actually scrapped, or Council ever voting to do something else with the funding, Of course Tory would not have let pesky details like that stop the Subway.
You're right. The EELRT isn't really scrapped. Just unfunded and stuck in limbo.

At the very worst my opinion is subjective. All the data shows that the SSE is a colossal waste of money and isn't even supported by the majority of Scarborough residents.

Your opinion that SSE isn't supported by Scarborough residents, is very subjective indeed. There is no evidence that the majority supports any other solution.

Your opinion that SSE isn't supported by Scarborough residents, is very subjective indeed. There is no evidence that the majority supports any other solution.
"Even in Scarborough, the majority of decided respondents — 56 per cent — backed the LRT, compared to 44 per cent who wanted a subway."

"Even in Scarborough, the majority of decided respondents — 56 per cent — backed the LRT, compared to 44 per cent who wanted a subway."

Careful. Only people with 'mental issues' use The Star. Use the Toronto Sun instead please. ;)

On one side:
- A single poll, with a small number of respondents.
- The poll question rigged in favor of LRT ("do you prefer the subway or the LRT that will <list of advantages of LRT>", not mentioning any of the advantages of the subway).
- And even then, a meager victory for LRT, 56:44 % .

On the other side:
- Every election in Scarborough ends with a pro-subway candidate winning.
- Not just the right-wing candidates support the subway. Libs and NDPers elected in Scarborough, support the subway as well.
- Opponents of SSE don't even try to field a candidate in Scarborough, knowing such a candidate will lose.

And yet, the SSE deniers are pretending that the residents are not in favor of the subway.

That's true. The problem is that the funding ran out.

Originally the 'final plan' was to build a 1 stop extension to STC, along with the Eglinton LRT with the total $3.56 billion budget available. Unfortunately the cost of the 1 stop solution grew to nearly $4 billion, with internal city reports outlining a cost that could balloon up to $5 billion. That left no money for the Eglinton LRT.

Council later approved the project, but had no way to fund it.

Once the province took over, the SSE was expanded to 3 stops and the Eglinton LRT fell off the map. I guess it isn't 'technically' canceled, but it's hard to see it being funded and built anytime soon. The SSE is currently estimated to cost $5.5 billion - $6 billion. Given how consistently Ford-backed project costs are drastically underestimated, I'd say the final cost is going to be closer to $7 billion or even $8 billion. I'm not sure there's going to be much appetite to spend billions more in Scarborough after that.

In Scarborough, close to half choose the LRT (45%), while fewer than 4-in-10 opt for the planned subway (39%). In the city as a whole, as many as 3-in-10 have no opinion (30%), while half this many are undecided in Scarborough (16%).

Read more at: http://staging-poll.forumresearch.com/post/2542/lrt-preferred-to-subway-in-scarborough/
Copyright ©Forum Research Inc.

SSE deniers are grasping at the straws, unable to explain their consistent inability to field any candidate in Scarborough elections at any level.

Back