News   Apr 24, 2024
 134     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 602     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

^ Good points to recall. I had forgot that in the time from when Miller released Transit City up until the Council voted against Ford to keep Eglinton surface that there had been some discussions or concepts of having the portion between Laird and Kennedy below ground or above ground. I googled "John Parker Don River and found some interesting articles". I don't think it necessarily changes what I said above about the timeline of Councillor to Mayor Ford, the Liberal government, and Ford's preference for the corridor. If only there was detailed and complete timeline available in one place or page. Update: I guess the Wikipedia entry does a decent job: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_5_Eglinton#Timeline
The saga of how many decision changes and then reversals amazes me, I think it's truly remarkable that it's being built.

The saga of how many decision changes and then reversals amazes me, I think it's truly remarkable that it's being built.
I bought my place on Eglinton with the knowledge the lrt was going to be built. As soon as we moved in Rob was elected and transit city was announced dead. I prayed with as much intensity as someone stuck in a big fish. Finally it started construction and the world was at peace. Well I did have a tree from plant world die in my front yard but all in all no complaints.

Something very important thats being omitted is along with the Transfer removal at the scarborough LRT, Rob Ford required the entire Crosstown LRT to be underground, at great expense.
Except the portion close to Kennedy Station. And except the portion within the Don Valley. Basically, that well over 50% of the distance from Brencliffe Portal to Kennedy that Ford was perfectly ok to NOT have underground.
At least that's what the MOU stated. It was only after this was defeated and the B-D subway was tabled that the fully underground demand was made (starting with Stinz and DeBearmaker).

Funny how you never mention that Ford's 'plan' would've used all available funding for all other projects and that city council tabled a compromise that Ford rejected.

Funny how you never mention that Ford's 'plan' would've used all available funding for all other projects and that city council tabled a compromise that Ford rejected.
But if finch waited they would have gotten a subway now that Ford is in power. Why are you questioning this logic. Eglinton would have been all underground until Kennedy then direct connection to stc. Sheppard would have extended to Victoria park. And finch would be building a subway now. Instead delay delay delay debate debate debate study study study. The good thing is that Ford will be in power for the next 20 years so pickering will eventually get a subway.

But if finch waited they would have gotten a subway now that Ford is in power. Why are you questioning this logic. Eglinton would have been all underground until Kennedy then direct connection to stc. Sheppard would have extended to Victoria park. And finch would be building a subway now. Instead delay delay delay debate debate debate study study study. The good thing is that Ford will be in power for the next 20 years so pickering will eventually get a subway.
Right, because Toronto absolutely needs another Sheppard subway situation. LRT in the suburbs is an excellent compromise, there is no plan with zoning to make Finch dense enough to support such subway.

Right, because Toronto absolutely needs another Sheppard subway situation. LRT in the suburbs is an excellent compromise, there is no plan with zoning to make Finch dense enough to support such subway.
Keep your legacy network downtown please.

Thanks for the update. I don't often visit this thread. Appears that there has been a lot of discussion here over the years...

He’s a twisted individual with psychosis and nonsensical anger and resentment coursing through his veins. With his bizarre rants and paranoid theories about everyone being against Scarborough and subways subways subways, he has been responsible for hundreds of pages of debate here. It’s what caused him/coffey1 to be banned but somehow he was allowed to rejoin under a new username. But he still spews the same vitriol and paranoia.

Thanks for the update. I don't often visit this thread. Appears that there has been a lot of discussion here over the years...
I don't get the reference to "coffey1". Could you elaborate?

I have the poster blocked but can safely assume who is there is one that is somewhat obsessed . And it's his/her shtick to go after me with the same type of post up every few month for years. I feel targeted so I will shed my light.

Basically when I signed up years ago I didn't expect such baiting , name call calling etc to be allowed, i fought back and stooped down to the level of a couple other posters. Supporting a subway was not the most popular thing in this forum i soon found out.
Anyhow I have this one on ignore way back when and asked most to do the same but the bait still continues yearsssss later. What can you do?

Whether you agree with my view or not I post on the topic, if others are try to derail or unnecessarily make things personal because they dont like another view then really nothing i can do. I just won't give the satisfaction of engaging directly again

Last edited:

I really could care less what funding was available from the (surely also politcally low balled) old LRT plan. We needed to improve the connectivity and certain grade seperation and there was going to be a cost. It was a very good solution backed by a Metrolinx study.

The Province has far more flexibility when scope creeps which will happen even in plans far less polarized. The City proved numerous times why it can never have control over transit planning.

By no means do I believe everything is perfect now. Far from it as there is still no long term financing plan from the upper levels. But the planning an financing is in a far better location now then it was with the polarized City

Last edited:
Whether you agree with me view or not I post on the topic, if others are try to derail or unnecessarily make things personal because they dont like another view then really nothing i can do. I just won't give the satisfaction of engaging directly again

My approach on UT has never been to question people's motivations or make things personal. Happy to have people agreed to disagree with my views. Thanks for your earlier responses where I wanted to better understand your point of view by asking follow up questions.

^ Totally agree there is no long term financing plan.

For sure. But cancelling all other projects just to get one of them underground (where it isn't necessary) is extremely foolish.

Ford was unwilling to compromise, something the city has paid for repeatedly.

Last edited:
My approach on UT has never been to question people's motivations or make things personal. Happy to have people agreed to disagree with my views. Thanks for your earlier responses where I wanted to better understand your point of view by asking follow up questions.
That's nice but the response from OneCity sounds like it was written by a PR firm versus him or herself. The person uses loaded language when they call people "downtown elites" "lefties" "pinkos" "bike riders (in a negative context) " latte sipping" and then questions the motivation of people on here for what they have determined is their "hate for Scarborough" and the motivation of the Toronto Star and refers to Transit City as Transfer City. Nice that you're giving everyone an opportunity but OneCity is not the victim.

Also it is nice to see OneCity for once not deny his former username as Coffey1. That's big of them. Much better mood since they won "the war on the car."

I have the poster blocked but can safely assume who is there is one that is somewhat obsessed . And it's his/her shtick to go after me with the same type of post up every few month for years. I feel targeted so I will shed my light.

Basically when I signed up years ago I didn't expect such baiting , name call calling etc to be allowed, i fought back and stooped down to the level of a couple other posters. Supporting a subway was not the most popular thing in this forum i soon found out.
Anyhow I have this one on ignore way back when and asked most to do the same but the bait still continues yearsssss later. What can you do?

Whether you agree with me view or not I post on the topic, if others are try to derail or unnecessarily make things personal because they dont like another view then really nothing i can do. I just won't give the satisfaction of engaging directly again
So why stay then? Why create another account and come back if you didn't like how you were treated? Just Curious.

Back