News   Apr 23, 2024
 9     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 396     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Who has failed to report it? It was widely reported at the time.

It was the 'best' in that it was all underground/separated. What you consistently fail to mention is that it would've taken all the available funding for every other transit project. Everything else would've been "privately funded" (including the Sheppard extension and a new Finch subway within 10 years lol), which had absolutely no chance of ever happening.

1) Miller and the provincial government agree on a Scarborough LRT, fully funded by the province.
2) Ford rails against it as an election tactic, get's it canceled. Him and upper levels of government push a subway.
3) 10 years later another Ford changes the plan and pushes it back by years.

Stealing all the funding, not unlike an unnecessary over $4 billion dollar project with a similar destination...

This revelation is going to drag into the next election, and frankly, id bet that the conclusion wouldve been the same even with this secret info. Matlow is one of the few still trying to scrape the bottom of the barrel on this issue, but i guess they dont really care anyways since in the end they will still get their posh pension either way.

Exactly this councillor acts like he's the Mayor of Scarborough from his wealthy far, far away transit filled ward. This is beyond shameful.

Matlow is moreless the Mammolitti of Downtown if not far worse as he ran his campaign directly on a main outside issue. He has become the face of a major problem in the City Politics with his extreme City dividing rhetoric which ironically will only continue to help the likes of both Tory and Ford.

I'm very thankful for John, Doug, Metrolinx and the other 99% of Scarborough Politicians and runner ups of all stripes for finding thru this ruthless endless attack from extremely entitled, outside political figures and their Downtown based media partners which have used every possible tactic to cause further trouble since they couldn't cut corners when replacing the glaring mistake from decades ago with poorly designed LRT and couldn't keep Scarborough Centre from being connected to the City's main transit artery.

With the extreme outside interference out of the way Ford or anyone after can take all the time they need to add back stops, connect the Centre and getting the Sheppard subway off the ground as it should have been long ago.

Last edited:
June 2012.
I can prove this wrong quite easily.
This Schabas report from December 2013 is the first the report was discussed publicly.
The BCA for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT was not released publicly until the author filed a request under the Freedom of Information Act, and after Metrolinx had awarded contracts to construct the tunnels.
The report does not have the exact date that the report was released to them, but this confirms it was after Sept. 2012.
Metrolinx awards $320 million contract to tunnel Eglinton LRT
By Tess Kalinowski
Transportation Reporter
Tues., Sept. 11, 2012
John Lorinc also adds to the timeline - but so many people were out to get Ford that they always ignored this report. He confirms the subway was agreed to in October 2013 - before this report was released. If you can find evidence it was released before, I am open to listen.

I can prove this wrong quite easily.
This Schabas report from December 2013 is the first the report was discussed publicly.
Perhaps the the takeaway, if only Michael Schabas considered it the best approach, years later, that it wasn't the best approach. Michael Schabas hardly has a great reputation in terms of competence.

Perhaps the the takeaway, if only Michael Schabas considered it the best approach, years later, that it wasn't the best approach. Michael Schabas hardly has a great reputation in terms of competence.
The Schabas report, and the Liberals (via Metrolinx) hiding the report for a year and a half, until all decisions had been made to go with the subway - are different issues. The first can be debated. The second is fact.

The report doesn't tell us anything we already knew.

Ford's 'plan' was not accepted because it massively increased the budget for Eglinton and proposed all other transit in Toronto would be paid for with magic beans.

So almost 1100 pages of forum posts and 14 years later, how close is this thing to actually getting a shovel in the ground? How many rail projects in North America have been proposed, designed, built, and opened since this discussion on a single extension began?

Now we are nowhere close. You could make the case we were only about a year away however Doug Ford and his monkeys have pushed it off till 2025 at the earliest. The SRT will be shut down before we even have a single shovel in the ground.

The report doesn't tell us anything we already knew.

Ford's 'plan' was not accepted because it massively increased the budget for Eglinton and proposed all other transit in Toronto would be paid for with magic beans.
Maybe you weren't paying attention to where this chat started.
It was about Metrolinx report (June 2012) - not the Schabas report.
I was just reminding others that the Scarbrorough subway was the result of the Liberals hiding the June 2012 report.
The Schabas report confirms that the Metrolinx report was hidden. It also shows that there were other options - and maybe even the Ford plan of a connected Eglinton-Scraborough, which was found to be the best of those studied, could have been improved upon with some honesty on the part of the Liberals.
I realize the some people on this thread were not around, while other may have not been paying close enough attention to notice this piece of information that the media did their best to hide because it showed the Ford plan as best. I suppose there are also some who have forgotten the facts, since this was such a long time ago.
Regardless - it never hurts to tell the truth.

It does seem Scarborough's future is now going to be buses due to sheer political paralysis

If everything keeps going the way it does I see 1 of 4 possibilities:

1: The Subway Extension does get built just a lot later then planned and quite a bit more expensive
2: To cut costs and time the Eglinton Crosstown is extended up to STC
3: To cut costs and save time the SRT is upgraded to MK.III trains (or what ever the new version is by then)
4: Nothing gets built and Scarborough looses its rapid transit for possibly decades

No matter what Scarborough has a lot of buses in its future, the TTC better start looking for Garage space.

If everything keeps going the way it does I see 1 of 4 possibilities:

1: The Subway Extension does get built just a lot later then planned and quite a bit more expensive
2: To cut costs and time the Eglinton Crosstown is extended up to STC
3: To cut costs and save time the SRT is upgraded to MK.III trains (or what ever the new version is by then)
4: Nothing gets built and Scarborough looses its rapid transit for possibly decades

No matter what Scarborough has a lot of buses in its future, the TTC better start looking for Garage space.

My money's on #3. And I think the pieces are falling in place for it.

Back