News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 540     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Eglinton W would get more because of the airport. Also more people feel Sheppard East is a bigger priority FWIW, if you take that tack.

Sheppard East still ranks pretty low; 28% think it should be #1 or #2. It is kind of interesting that Sheppard Est slightly overtook SSE; maybe some North Yorkers remember of Sheppard East, while only Scarberians remember SSE.

You are right, Eglinton W might get more, but only if the question asked expressly reminds that it goes to the airport.

Last edited:
Poll suggests Torontonians deeply divided over Doug Ford’s subway upload plans | The Star

"the pollster found building the downtown relief line was the top transit priority for 38 per cent of those surveyed and the second most important transportation project for 17 per cent, while 45 per cent had no response."

"extending the Sheppard subway to the Scarborough Town Centre was the top priority for 13 per cent and the second biggest for 15 per cent, with 73 per cent having no response."

"the Danforth line to the Scarborough Town Centre, in place of the existing LRT, fared even worse, with just 11 per cent saying it was the top priority and 11 per cent saying it was second, while 78 per cent had no response."
Was this a ranked poll? It would be interesting if the was a survey to rank all the projects in order and seeing the weighted results.

Sheppard East still ranks pretty low; 28% think it should be #1 or #2. It is kind of interesting that Sheppard Est slightly overtook SSE; maybe some North Yorkers remember of Sheppard East, while only Scarberians remember SSE.

You are right, Eglinton W might get more, but only if the question asked expressly reminds that it goes to the airport.
All good points. I personally think both subways will get built if Ford has his way. The real issue for me will be the Square One Subway vs the Milton Line. Looks like the subway will win thanks to CP Rail

U

John Tory wasn't wrong, he incorporated a good idea into his campaign platform, but unfortunately he didn't deliver much.

Torys biggest problem is that he was not specific enough about the plan. The "back of a napkin" sort of approach just opened him up to a complete assault from the left, and tarnished the reputation of what essentially was a good idea, albeit not fleshed out enough.

If Tory had actually done his homework prior to election and realized the issues with going in the Eglinton corridor with heavy rail, with incorporating it with GO RER, etc, we would be discussing SmartTrack in a much better light today.

In politics you simply can't have a half baked idea, even if its a good one in theory, because the opposition is at the ready to tear you to shreds.

That's a pretty generous assessment. Tory's problem is that he had no idea what he was talking about, that he then spent the next few years misrepresenting what he was talking about, and that he always picks the most expensive, unrealistic, and anti-progressive solution to every problem to pander to his base.

Tory's problem is that he had no idea what he was talking about, ...

Few politicians know what they're talking about. Government is in a ton of fields and the politician might know one field well.

Tory's problem is his advisors proposed a plan based on the physics of the track while ignoring the political landscape and ignoring Metrolinx's plans for a mix of express + local service. It wasn't a bad plan, just dramatically overreached the position he was running for.

Last edited:
Probably more a sign of the left-hand not knowing what the right-hand is doing.

Though I'm not sure that anything precludes putting one more station on the old signalling system, if the new one won't be in place for years. That cost seems minor compared to the $5 billion or so they are budgeting to build it!

Why don't they just make this a part of the SmartTracks plan with half the trains going to York Region and half going to STC and save themselves a few billion bucks?

Why don't they just make this a part of the SmartTracks plan with half the trains going to York Region and half going to STC and save themselves a few billion bucks?

Because they didn't upgrade the Union rail corridor to support the train frequency needed for such operation.

Otherwise, it would be a very good idea.

Relief Line storage will be at Greenwood.

The new yard for Bloor is by Obico, I believe that transaction closed already, but don't hold me to that.

The acquisition is paid for, yard development is not. From my reading, about 10% of yard development appears to be funded at this time.

Edit: Steve Munro just published a new article today, outlining that the new yard will be online in 2031 according to the current budget.

The issue w/signalling and subsequent fleet replacement for Line 2 is a separate one, it is unfunded in the just approved budget.

Line 2 will actually get the existing Toronto Rockets when new vehicles are ordered, while Line 1 will get the shiny new stuff. (with ATC, expect new Line 1 Rolling Stock to be the full length of the platform)

Edit: From the new Steve Munro post, linked below, the new rolling stock purchase is out, in favour of a life extension program for the T1s. This does not appear to included ATC retrofit, which makes absolutely no sense!

Last edited:
So what's the over under on John Tory even being alive by the time this thing opens. I'm 40 and I'm skeptical ill be alive.

So what's the over under on John Tory even being alive by the time this thing opens. I'm 40 and I'm skeptical ill be alive.

The TTC is struggling to keep the old Mark Ones afloat. They've done some refurb/life extension work......but they don't have more than 8 years left. As such if they don't get moving on SSE they will need an alternate strategy, soon.

Referenced by Steve Munro in this post: https://stevemunro.ca/category/vehicles/subway-cars/

Back