Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

TBH it is just a matter of time. EGLRT will start impacting flemo within 2-3 years however Thorncliffe Park will be safe for another 7-8 years imo as EGLRT won't impact that area as much, quicker to take 25 to Pape Station. If you are thinking of buying real estate this is the area lol

Many of the TCHC / Coop buildings are in a state of disrepair and will need complete tear down, I am pointing particularly at the townhomes in Flemo (south side of Rochefort).

If current rates are mandated, they can only be done for so long (30 years at most practically speaking). It is a ticking timebomb that Flemo and Thorncliffe communities will be lost forever. Their diversity, culture and the way the community operates will be non existent within 15-20 years. Maybe remnants will remain but what we know it to be today will be quickly forgotten. The largely immigrant population will be forced out farther and farther.

Again I simply disagree.

For one thing, Toronto is majority foreign-born, and this applies across low, lower-middle, middle and upper-middle income demographics ( the uber-rich are less diverse, but Flemo is not becoming the new Rosedale) .

Sure the area will evolve, of course it will, all areas do.

But I don't think it will evolve as much as you expect.

Agreed. Just look at St. James Town, which is about as accessible via transit as Thorncliffe will be once the OL opens. There's been infill and rents for new units have climbed over the years, but the character of the neighbourhood hasn't been completely erased–not even close.

Again I simply disagree.

For one thing, Toronto is majority foreign-born, and this applies across low, lower-middle, middle and upper-middle income demographics ( the uber-rich are less diverse, but Flemo is not becoming the new Rosedale) .

I think there is good reason to assume gentrification (placeholder term for the underlying phenomena, don’t read into it) would occur given the scope of transit investment and change. That said, you bring up many of the counter mechanisms that will dissuade this from happening.

My take on the situation is that if we were only building the OL, then maybe there would be cause to worry. But our transit expansion feels like a “rising tide lifts all boats” situation. While transit investment often locally creates gentrification, doing so on such a massive scale means far fewer inaccessible (affordable) places to go for those on the low end, and countless places for those at the high end looking to move in. In essence, the more transit there is overall, the less it can dictate sociospatial patterns across the city.

To a lesser extent, the general area here has never been that desirable to live in and this will impact the ceiling of gentrification. This isn’t Corktown- is there really something to latch on to for your average person with money, besides the transit access? That isn’t the be-all-end-all when you have options. It also has to be legitimately desirable to live in. What and how much change occurs to that end is going to be a product of our current policies, which are relatively untested in such a specific instance. In any case, I don’t really think the ‘luxurious’ north Toronto appeal nearby does/will extend to here, and that is the biggest threat. But, I’m not in-tune with real estate enough to say.

Back