News   Apr 23, 2024
 372     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC Mulling Automated Passenger Info System

U

unimaginative2

Dr. Gridlock

What if riders know when the bus is driving by?
JEFF GRAY

If knowledge is power, then TTC riders are particularly powerless.

Leave aside the muffled, unintelligible announcements in subway stations, which more often than not fail to inform passengers about the cause of a delay. Just figuring out when the next bus or streetcar is supposed to come can be a pain.

Schedules, if they are even posted, are often unreliable. And they are most often reproduced in a font that seems designed to cause eyeballs to shrivel. This leaves most riders at outdoor transit shelters stepping into the road every few minutes, squinting into the distance for signs of a TTC vehicle.

An automated TTC phone line used to give out bus and streetcar schedule information, but died in 1999 because of the Y2K bug. It would have cost $1.25-million to upgrade it, but the TTC decided to let it die because so few riders used it.

The TTC now has its somewhat useful 416-393-INFO line, which tells riders about how often any particular bus is supposed to arrive and then allows customers to request schedules or ask an operator for actual times from a schedule.

But the problem with both of these services is they provide only schedules, not real-time information about how your bus or streetcar is coming along, slowed by traffic congestion or other delays.

There is another way, but it involves technology, which seems to scare the TTC. Transit systems all over the world, and more and more in North America, are giving their riders extremely detailed information about how long they must wait.

One company that hopes to entice the TTC into spending money on new technology to do just that is Toronto-based Grey Island Systems, which has produced software that already tracks waste and road-salt trucks for the city's works department.

Last year, the firm took a jump into the world of public transit by buying U.S.-based NextBus Inc., which provides real-time transit information systems for 40 transit operations in the United States, including San Francisco. Washington's Metrobus has just signed up, and the firm is testing its wares in Chicago. Its first Canadian customer is the bus system in Guelph.

It works like this: All transit vehicles are equipped with global positioning systems, allowing a computer system to track their whereabouts and predict how far away a vehicle is from any given stop. This information is then relayed to electronic changeable message boards at certain stops, which tell waiting passengers how many minutes before the next bus or streetcar arrives. Riders can also get the information on an automated phone line or on the Web.

Grey Island's executive vice-president of business development, Brian Boychuk, says the system will cost Washington about $2-million (U.S.) in the first year, and then $2-million over the next five years. Outfitting the TTC might be even cheaper, he said, since the transit agency is already forming plans to put GPS-based automated stop announcements on its buses. NextBus, he suggested, could simply reuse the same data.

Mr. Boychuk, who has hired lobbyist and former TTC chairman Paul Christie to make his point at city hall, says transit passengers love the service: "It gives you more control in terms of how much time you spend at the stop. So if you've got time to buy a coffee, go to the drugstore to pick up a few things, you've got some comfort knowing that the bus is going to arrive at a certain point."

Because of the possible cost and complexities of the idea, TTC chairman Howard Moscoe says, TTC staffers are "not really keen on it."

But he said he would like to see such a system go ahead, and use the city's coming 311 phone information system to convey the information. He would like to see advertisers sponsor the electronic signs, making the system cheaper, he said.

When could it happen, given the transit agency's yearly budget woes? Who knows? This is the TTC. You may have to wait.

Dr. Gridlock appears Mondays. Send comments or questions to jgray@globeandmail.com.

© Copyright 2006 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved

When I read the title I was thinking the TTC was implementing a system which would have information about passengers rather than for passengers. Thank goodness it wasn't that at all.

We know when you ride, where you ride to, and why you ride there.

We're the TTCIA!

This was brought up some months ago at a TTC meet where it was stated that it would cost between $1,500 and $5,000 per stop to put in real time info at stops.

TTC has over 100,000 bus stops and those are huge $$$$$$. TTC wants the private sector to help with the cost.

There is a report to done on this and brought forth some time this year on a system as to time line and cost.

You start with routes that have long length and have poor service. This will save people a lot of time as they could do some thing with better their time than stand out in the cold when they could be shopping or having something to drink or eat than waiting for a bus that is over 15 minutes away. Anything that has 15 minutes or less service would be the last to be done.

The subway stations were supposed to have real time late this year as the track signals are upgrade to send the info to the new video screens at each stations, but not going to happen. Not sure what has happen with the video screens, but there are a lot of stations that don't have screens and some only have one in place of the plan 2.

I have not seen anymore video screens installed since last summer when TTC decided not to outfit the subway cars with smaller screens. I guess the supplier walk away as they were not going to get the exposure like it wanted so they could charger the advertisers the big buck to get their ad’s on the system and make money.

TTC is planning on having Automated Passenger Info System on all of their equipment starting with the subway this year as well on various surface routes. This is not cheap and there are various issues to be work out first.

They are still installing the new screens. Broadview and Sherbourne are two of the latest stations to get them. They even had delay information on the bottom part of the screens today. The subway was shut down between Kipling and Islington around 4pm and all the screens on the Bloor-Danforth line said "Delay both ways between Kipling and Islington." Of course, a couple hours later at 6:30pm the subway was running again but the no one had turned off the message on the screens.

I remember reading that the screens didn't get rave reviews among focus groups, citing they were too small to read unless you were standing nearby.

I tend to agree. If you're on a crowded rush hour platform and there's a delay, you probably couldn't get close enough to read the screen. But small screen is better than no screen, I guess. And even that's a vast improvement over the old screens that never had any relevant information, with half their lights out and always the wrong time displayed.

This is pointless. If the service is frequent and reliablle enough there is no need to tell people when the bus or train is coming.

This is pointless. If the service is frequent and reliablle enough there is no need to tell people when the bus or train is coming.
Agreed, however the only part of the process that is missing is the actual display.

They already collect or intend to collect most of the real-time information in order to improve the schedules, particularly short-turns and on-the-fly changes due to street closures or high unexpected load.

If they can figure out a low cost way of installing and maintaining the displays for end users (low cost includes both dollars and advertiser impact on the surroundings) then they should go through with that component.

I take the King and Spadina streetcars. I don't think you'll find many more frequent routes in the city. The problem is not with their frequency: it's their spectacular unreliability (particularly Spadina). I've waited 25 minutes or more at a Spadina streetcar stop only to have (literally) five streetcars arrive at once. This is exactly the kind of thing that real-time information could avoid.

A side benefit that hasn't gotten mentioned is that it provides reams of data to TTC planners and supervisors who can determine exactly which areas are causing problems with the schedules and which vehicles are having more problems than others.

I don't really see that much value in the system on most routes. How can this system actually tell when the vehicle will arrive if the next vehicle gets short turned or there is an accident or traffic jam. In the situations where the vehicle is not on schedule I can see the next arrival time working like the "percentage complete" on software installations where it reaches 95-98% and then waits for a long time to reach 100% or a download time indicator than goes forward and backwards in time remaining. Perhaps a distance from the next vehicle display would add more value because you could see if it is moving or not. The time till arrival seems like an unreliable value.

Back