News   Apr 16, 2024
 395     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 402     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 755     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

This may be the reality, but I'd like for Malvern to get an extension of a line in the future.
Isn't there a plan to extend Line 5 to Malvern? I really don't see how a subway to Malvern is justified. It would not be a good terminus for bus transfers.

Isn't there a plan to extend Line 5 to Malvern? I really don't see how a subway to Malvern is justified. It would not be a good terminus for bus transfers.
I would not to attempt to guess what the city would look like in three or so decades. I'm sure that a lot of the things we thought would happen thirty years ago happened quite differently. I was just commenting that it seems unwise to make decisions about the future today when things could change quite a bit.

I guess there will be those who know much more than me about that plan, but it seems like anything that happens in the area is two movies away. I'm assuming nothing will happen in the next two decades.

I would not to attempt to guess what the city would look like in three or so decades. I'm sure that a lot of the things we thought would happen thirty years ago happened quite differently. I was just commenting that it seems unwise to make decisions about the future today when things could change quite a bit.

I guess there will be those who know much more than me about that plan, but it seems like anything that happens in the area is two movies away. I'm assuming nothing will happen in the next two decades.
Nothing precludes a transit line being built to Malvern. Line 4, if anything, should go down Ellesmere. If we're not going to get then, connecting Line 4 and Line 2 makes sense to eliminate the pointless transfer at McCowan for trips from Line 1 to STC. We can always build a new line at a later point to upgrade the Ellesmere BRT.

Seems like Line 4/Line 2 are wildly more capacity than ever would be needed to serve Malvern. So if most trains would short turn at McCowan rather than running empty to Malvern and back, what is to be gained by building a $1B/km subway instead of LRT that could run more frequently.

Nothing precludes a transit line being built to Malvern. Line 4, if anything, should go down Ellesmere. If we're not going to get then, connecting Line 4 and Line 2 makes sense to eliminate the pointless transfer at McCowan for trips from Line 1 to STC. We can always build a new line at a later point to upgrade the Ellesmere BRT.

Seems like Line 4/Line 2 are wildly more capacity than ever would be needed to serve Malvern. So if most trains would short turn at McCowan rather than running empty to Malvern and back, what is to be gained by building a $1B/km subway instead of LRT that could run more frequently.
No doubt you're more understanding of the specifics. I have barely thought about it as I worry that the projects underway are not a guarantee and can always be stopped. Penalosa wanted to stop the extension when he ran for mayor last, for example.

On the topic of extensions, was there ever a proposal to add another stop north at Finch/Woodside Square?

Report to next week's Executive Ctte on how to deal w/the impending shutdown of the SRT later this year.

Transportation/TTC seeking to make a large number of changes to multiple roads, notably Kennedy, Ellesmere, Midland and Brimley.

While the Busway idea is still possible, it is currently unfunded.

Route for upgraded SRT replacement bus service. The small changes (and medium-sized ones) are a bit too numerous to post. Follow the link for the details.

1682431147556.png

Report to next week's Executive Ctte on how to deal w/the impending shutdown of the SRT later this year.

Transportation/TTC seeking to make a large number of changes to multiple roads, notably Kennedy, Ellesmere, Midland and Brimley.

Route for upgraded SRT replacement bus service. The small changes (and medium-sized ones) are a bit too numerous to post. Follow the link for the details.

View attachment 471979

That is going to be a flipping disaster.

They would be better going down Brimley and Midland than Kennedy and Midland. On a good day, Kennedy Road is bumper to bumper traffic and this will not help anything.

View attachment 471979
Not sure if it's an official Line 3 shutdown date, but the target service date for these changes is November 19, 2023.

That is going to be a flipping disaster.

They would be better going down Brimley and Midland than Kennedy and Midland. On a good day, Kennedy Road is bumper to bumper traffic and this will not help anything.

For those in Scarborough, don't take the single-occupant car. Take public transit, or cycle, or walk. Most traffic congestion is caused by the single-occupant automobile.

From link.

IF, big IF, they actually go through with the measures for the buses...
A suite of transit priority measures are proposed to support the bus replacement service plan:

(1) priority bus lanes on Kennedy Road, Ellesmere Road, Midland Avenue and Eglinton Avenue East designed as a one-way loop routing between Kennedy Station and Scarborough Town Centre Station;

(2) queue-jump lane on southbound Brimley Road at Ellesmere Road;

(3) left-turn lanes exclusive to TTC buses;

(4) transit signal priority; and

(5) stopping and turning prohibitions.

Depends on the Toronto Transportation Department and their pro-automobile stance they have.

Back