News   Mar 28, 2024
 113     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 282     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 648     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I'm not a fan of saving the guideway; its unremarkable. Its not 'The Highline' Scaborough isn't so lacking park space and the deadzone created under the guide way isn't great for the public realm.

Better to scrap it all.

In the case of Kennedy...............

View attachment 393293

Anyone for Toronto's largest subway station sheltered bike parking? The ramp is a pretty gentle grade......connected to the Meadoway bike trail.........
I'm really going to miss the 70s style architecture of the SRT stations. Other than that, good riddance and goodbye.

(I will have to take a trip to visit all the stations before they shut down. I've still never stepped foot in McCowan station 😂)

I'm really going to miss the 70s style architecture of the SRT stations. Other than that, good riddance and goodbye.

(I will have to take a trip to visit all the stations before they shut down. I've still never stepped foot in McCowan station 😂)
I like the way you think, I did this last year. Figured doing it during Covid would allow me to properly see and photograph the SRT without the madness of the crowds. Dont worry though, McCowan is virtually a ghost town all the time anyways.

Get your pics in before the roller coaster fully breaks down, who knows if the thing will even make it to 2023.

I'm not a fan of saving the guideway; its unremarkable. Its not 'The Highline' Scaborough isn't so lacking park space and the deadzone created under the guide way isn't great for the public realm.

Better to scrap it all.
Thought about this a lot more, and I think the section from Brimley to McCowan could be cool. The only reason it’s a dead zone right now is because it’s parking lots and roadways. The Bentway seems like a good example of reclaiming that space. And really, if there is stuff to do like a public event space or plaza/square, it wouldn’t feel much different from the overhead walkway at Nathan Phillips Square. It’d could be kind of a neat linear park. Could also make a nice pedestrian route away from the traffic to Albert Campbell Square, Civic Centre, and the existing STC entrance.

A lot of my friends in Scarborough didn't realize the SSE meant the end of the RT. They're going to miss it. I will too.

Hopefully they can make good use of the space.

Interest rate increases may make budgets near the end of his second term interesting, as older bonds start to rollover at the higher 2023 rates. I'm not expecting any major projects beyond what is already underway, though Ford budgets have surprised me (nearly every year).

Incidentally, does anyone know what term's were being issued for pandemic debt? Those rates were fantastic (for government) but were they 30-year?

Last edited:

I like the way you think, I did this last year. Figured doing it during Covid would allow me to properly see and photograph the SRT without the madness of the crowds. Dont worry though, McCowan is virtually a ghost town all the time anyways.

Get your pics in before the roller coaster fully breaks down, who knows if the thing will even make it to 2023.

I love how they tried to make McCowan a thing with the DRT route terminating there instead of Scarborough Centre's regional bus terminal (which would've obviously made a lot more sense), but even then I'm willing to bet that people use the Triton Rd bus stop way more than just taking it one stop on the RT.

I love how they tried to make McCowan a thing with the DRT route terminating there instead of Scarborough Centre's regional bus terminal (which would've obviously made a lot more sense), but even then I'm willing to bet that people use the Triton Rd bus stop way more than just taking it one stop on the RT.
I believe the imminent closure of the Scarborough Centre Bus Terminal played a part. Probably thought it wasn’t worth negotiating with Metrolinx to use the GO side of the terminal.

From @Steve Munro 's latest blog post:

At the TTC Board Meeting on June 23, 2022, the quarterly financial update reviews the status of the 2022 operating and capital budgets together with the status of major capital projects. This report is one of the more valuable contributions to understanding the state of the TTC, certainly in more detail than the superficial CEO’s Report. But even at that, its concern is primarily with the current year.

A specific reference to the SSE:

Subway Trains and Facilities

The purchase of subway trains (primarily replacements for the existing T-1 fleet on Line 2 BD) must be fully funded before the TTC signs a contract lest the City be on the hook for funding that was assumed to be available from others.

The total project cost is $2.3 billion of which only $619 million in City funding has been nailed down. No provincial nor federal contribution has arrived.

If TTC is unsuccessful in receiving funding for the subway car purchase, then the existing funding of $619 million will need to be increased by $100 million and utilized for T1 Life Extension Overhaul instead, to extend the useful life of the T1 trains from 30 to 40 years, thereby deferring the cost of subway trains that will inevitably be required. [p. 25]
The TTC has an RFP on the street for supply of these trains, but it is unclear if they will be able to award the contract. If the decision is taken to rebuild the existing fleet, this carries two major risks:

• Whether the fleet will last reliably to 2040. The TTC’s experience with life extension programs has mixed results notably with the CLRV/ALRV streetcar fleets, and of course with the SRT fleet.
  • What will be done about the signal system on Line 2. ATC conversion is a funded project, but retrofitting the T-1 fleet for ATC operation would be expensive and add to the complexity of any overhaul. The SSE to Sheppard is planned to operate with ATC. Conversely if the existing system is left in place, it would be over 70 years old by 2040.
This is not simply a question of shuffling money around in the budget, but of potentially boxing in the TTC’s options for the future of the Bloor-Danforth subway.

Related unfunded projects include changes to Greenwood Yard and additional storage to accommodate the co-existence of old and new fleets. Further in the future is a new subway yard west of Kipling Station that could be either a standalone project or built as part of a western extension of Line 2.

RFP Closed for SSE SRS (Stations, Rail and Systems)

On the agenda for the first meeting of SCC for the new term of Council is a report requesting a demolition permit for 642 McCowan Road. The reason for the request being at Council is that there is no permit in place
for a new residential building.

The request comes from the site owner, Metrolinx and is in service of building the new Lawrence East Station at McCowan.

The home is south-west of the intersection, immediately south of the Shell Gas Station on the south-west corner:

1669042105762.png

The Letter requesting the permit is partially shown below:

1669041997266.png

From: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/sc/bgrd/backgroundfile-230059.pdf

Back