News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 299     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 847     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I’m absolutely stunned that the government didn’t suppress and/or falsify this report.

I was under the impression that the province was considering alternative alignments including potential above-ground segments, but I don't see any evidence of that in the report.

It might be a pretext for using alignments that drives the cost down.

AoD

No stop at McCowan/Eglinton?
There hasn't been talk about a stop here in forever. Even in the first three stop plan it wasn't there. Only in OneCity fantasy plan where the subway stops at his front door is this discussed. We're not trying to have this line cost as much as the Ontario line. On the other hand go ahead and restart planning to include this stop. I don't think this is ever going ahead anyways. What's the difference. OneCity sure you get your stop. Hope you're alive in 2250 to enjoy it.

Ford's compromise with McGuinty, combining a grade-separate Eglinton with the SRT, was the best plan we've seen in a decade or more.
I said at the time, the Liberals, and the Councillors, decided instead of prioritizing transit, they would prioritize defeating Ford. Basically, they declared that we must defeat Ford at all costs. Now is the time to pay those costs.

There is an amazing amount of "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" going on with this line. They didn't compare the SSE to the SLRT because they know what the answer would have been. The report clearly says the SSE isn't worth the money yet they continue to push forward with it. We all know this project was not grounded in logic or common sense but in politics and feelings and all parties involved insist on living in a bubble while ignoring and suppressing anything that contradicts their views.

It might be a pretext for using alignments that drives the cost down.

AoD

Agreed, this is just setting the stage for the preliminary design and this report will be used a a baseline show any 'effeciencies' down the road in the upcoming pre-design

It will be interesting to see what modifcations they propose on this alignment to save costs. My understnding is they are not going back to review any other alignments, but will be reviewing the stops and construction methods.

There is an amazing amount of "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" going on with this line. They didn't compare the SSE to the SLRT because they know what the answer would have been. The report clearly says the SSE isn't worth the money yet they continue to push forward with it. We all know this project was not grounded in logic or common sense but in politics and feelings and all parties involved insist on living in a bubble while ignoring and suppressing anything that contradicts their views.

To be fair, when the transfer SLRT was compared to a transfer free Crosstown connection the SLRT lost out in a Metrolinx report. Ford(s) also support this prior to McCowan. Problem would have been solved, then Sheppard needed fixed next. (And also the SMLRT which has been improved greatly since the initial poor design effort)

I would have preferred to see the BDL extended on the old RT corridor over the Crosstown, but either way both plans were optimal and the SLRT should have never been proposed in the first place when connecting Scarborough Centre for the future.

Various key details were heavily neglected in Transit City for all Scarborough lines. I'm not mad whatsoever at Ford again for trying to fix yet another piss poor design from the City and Provincial Liberals.

I'm so glad the City has been taken out of transit planning, and whatever revisions are made to get the costs down Im damn sure the line will be much better then the previously approved plans.

Last edited:
Clearly when the taken in account of better located stations and miss opportunities, the SLRT had a much better alignment with a direct station at Centennial College, Sheppard/Progress station is closer to Malvern and a potential extension to Malvern Town Centre. The only plus for the SSE is a station at Scarborough Hospital and an extension to Markham???

If they compared the travel times from Centennial College to Bloor-Yonge on the current SRT, SLRT and SSE, the SLRT extension would have won by 10 minutes. Even if they actually compared from STC (the mall) to B-Y, the extra walking time to a deeper station would have undone the time saved from the connection at Kennedy.

They also forecast about ~12k boarding at peak AM hour westbound at the 3 stations total by 2041 which could be easily carried by LRT with ATO.

Agreed, this is just setting the stage for the preliminary design and this report will be used a a baseline show any 'effeciencies' down the road in the upcoming pre-design

It will be interesting to see what modifcations they propose on this alignment to save costs. My understnding is they are not going back to review any other alignments, but will be reviewing the stops and construction methods.

Certainly removing the stop in front of your house will drive down costs.

But that would inevitably lead to your freak out about the Downtown Latte-sipping NDP Elites not Respecting Scarborough and killing your Subways, Subways, Subways. We certainly can’t have that.

Ford would be wise to have a Value Engineering session where construction leaders, transportation engineers and the like are gathered for a week to find efficiencies while still meeting the goals of connecting STC to the downtown. At the end of the week, they could release the results giving alternatives along with pros and cons. Likely most of the public would accept some minor disadvantages to reduce costs, increase construction speed, and create a better transit line for the future. The political decision could then be made on which option to follow, and more detailed engineering could be done.
For Ford, it would also allow him to look like he cares about this file.

Back