News   Apr 26, 2024
 266     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 489     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.4K     4 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

The guy acknowledges the subway will save time for future commuters (not to mention the removal of a transfer) and yet throws the usual BS about it being one stop when he most likely knows exactly what is going on.

Seems like a typical Toronto special interest group doing what they usually do.

So very thankful the usual obstructionists are on ignore by those that matter and we can move on towards the subways that should have been built decades ago.

...And worse the delay had little to nothing to do with the RT line. So typical ?

Last edited:
The guy acknowledges the subway will save time for future commuters (not to mention the removal of a transfer) and yet throws the usual BS about it being one stop when he most likely knows exactly what is going on.

Seems like a typical Toronto special interest group doing what they usually do.

So glad these usual obstructionists are on ignore by those that matter and we can atleast move on towards a subway that should have been built decades ago.

....And worse none of his delay had anything to do with anything to do with the decision on this line. Anything to beat a dead horse.
Like I said... Enjoy your Scarborough neighbours. Such a progressive bunch.

First of all, the cost of subway won't be enough to pay for 3 light rail lines. The rule-of-thumb ratio is about 1:4 (4 km of light rail for 1 km of subway). The 3-stop subway will be 7.5 km long, that can cover about 30 km of light rail, but not 40 km.

The apples to apples comparison would be two light rail lines, say SLRT plus Eglinton East, vs the subway. If we have only 2 LRT lines, the access argument gets weakened. Instead of 1 in 6 residents within walking distance of a light rail stop, we will have 1 in 9, or 11%.

If 23% of Scarborough transit riders travel to DT, then roughly half of them will benefit from the subway extension. Same 11% of all riders.

How much time will be saved? That will vary from one trip to another, but the range is similar. The subway extension eliminates the transfer at Kennedy: let's say 5 min walking from one vehicle to another, plus 2-3 min waiting for the next train. Plus, the subway will be 3-4 min faster because it will have fewer stops. Total saving should be 10-12 min each way.

LRT? If the length of a typical LRT trip is 10 km, that will take 26 min at 23 kph. On a bus (17 kph), the same trip would take 35 min. Total saving is about same, 9 or perhaps 10 min.

However, there is one category where subway definitely wins: compatibility with the future transit enhancements. A subway in the McCowan corridor doesn't in any way preclude EE LRT, or other light rail lines for that matter. EE LRT may be delayed by a few years, but it stays on the books, and will likely catch the next funding train.

On the contrary, if SLRT is built now instead of the subway, it will not be replaced with a subway in any foreseeable future.

Network redundancy would actually be what would resolve that dude's commute problem, and those of many Scarberians.

Building the Relief Line would provide that redundancy. 1 or 3 stop Scarborough underground funway will not.

The RL/OL combined with RER will improve redundancy. While the Scarborough subway will improve connectivity to the main feeders and travel time to far more people east of McCowan looking to commute inwards towards the Core.

All these lines are far overdue.

Last edited:
"Lawyer. Urbanist. Progressive." I thought the "elites" all lived downtown. Maybe he was confused when he moved back to the 6ix from NYC and didn't get the memo. Forget about the commute and try enjoying life with your fellow progressive neighbours such as OneCity.

Wait a second - is coffey1 admitting this multi-billion dollar investment will only shave a few minutes off commute times?

How is that justified? And how is the SSE going to improve the scene in that picture?

I guess Scarberian opinions only matter if they support SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS?

I get the feeling this extension isn't going to be done by 2029.

Recently published concerns about industry wide construction capacity (a valid concern too) is a pretty strong indicator that something is going to be delayed.

Wait a second - is coffey1 admitting this multi-billion dollar investment will only shave a few minutes off commute times?

How is that justified? And how is the SSE going to improve the scene in that picture?

I guess Scarberian opinions only matter if they support SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS?

Whereas the multi-billion dollar LRT shaves off nothing and keeps forcing people off keep the additional non-central transfer. Amazing, to think we could have some foresight for the future to build something that improves travel time when replacing the RT mistake

Keep in mind if council played nice over the decades the line could have been connected cheaper and could have been a connected LRT, but the details or improvements never mattered to the self proclaimed 'evidence based' transfer LRT LRT LRT! crowd.

Atleast this line can finally be designed and built without this type of extreme opposition. More importantly Sheppard can finally be reviewed with connected options without the interference from polarized politicians outside of Scarborough or the usual activist special interest groups who had far too much to say and involvement on the RT replacement.

Last edited:
Recently published concerns about industry wide construction capacity (a valid concern too) is a pretty strong indicator that something is going to be delayed.

If so, then it wouldn't make much harm to delay Eglinton West by a couple of years.

If so, then it wouldn't make much harm to delay Eglinton West by a couple of years.
I think Scarborough is used to delays. They're a super patient and rational bunch. Plus they think buses are as good as LRTs. I think instead of a lrt or a subway they should get busses and prove to the rest of the city how cultured, progressive, cost effective they are. Eglinton west goes right by Doug Ford's home. You can't expect him to wait can you. He's the great saviour of transit. At least let him cut a ribbon on his own line will you.

I think Scarborough is used to delays. They're a super patient and rational bunch. Plus they think buses are as good as LRTs. I think instead of a lrt or a subway they should get busses and prove to the rest of the city how cultured, progressive, cost effective they are. Eglinton west goes right by Doug Ford's home. You can't expect him to wait can you. He's the great saviour of transit. At least let him cut a ribbon on his own line will you.

Doug will not ride that LRT, thus the LRT going right by his home makes no difference. For the ribbon cutting, he can travel to any other part of the city.

Eglinton West will have at most 1/2 of Scarborough Subway's ridership, for a comparable cost. That alone should make Eglinton West a better candidate for being delayed.

I get it that people prefer cheaper transit in the corridors where the demand level allows a cheaper option; as long as such views are promoted consistently. I can't help noticing though, that every fact-based post in support of Scarborough Subway prompts a stream of sarcastic responses and name-calling from a group of usual suspects. Same people make hardly a pip about the 4.7 billion Eglinton West plan, or about TYSSE that has lower ridership than all the SSE projections.

It almost looks like some opponents have developed an SSE anxiety.

Doug will not ride that LRT, thus the LRT going right by his home makes no difference. For the ribbon cutting, he can travel to any other part of the city.

Eglinton West will have at most 1/2 of Scarborough Subway's ridership, for a comparable cost. That alone should make Eglinton West a better candidate for being delayed.

I get it that people prefer cheaper transit in the corridors where the demand level allows a cheaper option; as long as such views are promoted consistently. I can't help noticing though, that every fact-based post in support of Scarborough Subway prompts a stream of sarcastic responses and name-calling from a group of usual suspects. Same people make hardly a pip about the 4.7 billion Eglinton West plan, or about TYSSE that has lower ridership than all the SSE projections.

It almost looks like some opponents have developed an SSE anxiety.
Wait. Eglinton west is going to cost between 4-6 billion dollars. When did that happen?

I get it that people prefer cheaper transit in the corridors where the demand level allows a cheaper option; as long as such views are promoted consistently. I can't help noticing though, that every fact-based post in support of Scarborough Subway prompts a stream of sarcastic responses and name-calling from a group of usual suspects.

Considering there really hasn't been any support for this line from experts I have to question the facts. If it really was as common sense as you're making it out to be there wouldn't be this huge debate and there would be more people supporting this line.

As for the sarcasm. I am simply challenging mark twains "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.". I'm sure getting a lot of experience on here. I'll happily retire from commenting with a simple ban as long as coffeey1 (onecity) is banned as well. I have no problem being a spectator on this site. However my enjoyment of this site has diminished significantly reading this persons rants. There is plenty of people on here who has different views than I do which is fine but this isn't the place to post ones conspiracy theories. I should apologize as I know I have taken out my frustration with that individual on others sometimes simply because they support the SSE. For the record I am completely fine with the one stop plan but that is a whole other topic.

Last edited:

Back