News   Mar 28, 2024
 23     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 262     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 636     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

This is ridiculous. This thing was announced back in 2013 and after 6 years there is not even real progress in design.
No real progress? They are hundreds of millions into the assessment and design and were ready to start tendering the tunneling work.

Also the current city plan may be that old, but it's years more since they announced the first and second LRT solutions, and even longer since they announced they were going to fix it by spending less than $200 million to modify the curve/tunnel to handle larger cars, and extend the platforms for larger trains.

The Conservative plan to defer the line until after the DRL and even the Yonge extension shows where their priorities are. A 4-year delay and uploading the subway, simply pushes the go/no go decision onto the next provincial government.

No real progress? They are hundreds of millions into the assessment and design and were ready to start tendering the tunneling work.

Also the current city plan may be that old, but it's years more since they announced the first and second LRT solutions, and even longer since they announced they were going to fix it by spending less than $200 million to modify the curve/tunnel to handle larger cars, and extend the platforms for larger trains.

The Conservative plan to defer the line until after the DRL and even the Yonge extension shows where their priorities are. A 4-year delay and uploading the subway, simply pushes the go/no go decision onto the next provincial government.
there are a lot of assessment, announcement, are ready to...are going to.... if we actually get the shovel in the ground, or have signed a contract, DoFo could not have done much to it, like the Hurontario and Hamilton LRTs...

there are a lot of assessment, announcement, are ready to...are going to.... if we actually get the shovel in the ground, or have signed a contract, DoFo could not have done much to it, like the Hurontario and Hamilton LRTs...

He could have kept the current plan and could have had construction started before the next election.

Now this line is essentially up in the air. That 2030 date is nearly meaningless.

Based on the timelines in Ford's announcement SSE will still be in the design stage during the next provincial election.

On the one hand, then we're probably just screwed. On the other, and more seriously, I really wouldn't put much hope on defeating Ford after a single term.

Is there a good image or Google Maps satellite view that shows a comparison to where the STC Station is located with the one-stop design vs the three stop design? With the three stop design, the STC station shifts to the east and is oriented more on a north-south axis, right?

Is there a good image or Google Maps satellite view that shows a comparison to where the STC Station is located with the one-stop design vs the three stop design? With the three stop design, the STC station shifts to the east and is oriented more on a north-south axis, right?
I thought the “old” Scarborough Centre Station design allow for extensions North, so it won’t need to move east a bit for the current plan.

I thought the “old” Scarborough Centre Station design allow for extensions North, so it won’t need to move east a bit for the current plan.
It won't need to move. The earlier 3-station plan though did have a different location. Not sure why the province would move the station back to that old location though ...

I think the Scar subway extension is a huge waste of money but if they are going to go forward then Ford's plan is the best one. A one-stop subway extension was beyond stupid and at least this one takes the line to Sheppard. If they are going to spend the money anyway then they should spend more and actually make the line useful to someone instead of just being an STC express.

People bitch about the Kennedy transfer, but London, which I visited last week, has also got some lengthy transfers and no one complains.

People bitch about the Kennedy transfer, but London, which I visited last week, has also got some lengthy transfers and no one complains.

Are the trasnfers placed before a major future growth node and City Centre? Transfers are fine in practical locations. The 3 stop subway is a great improvement not only for the Centre but for Lawrence and Sheppard feeders. The current RT is nonsense for 54 riders east of Midland. The subway will also pick up riders in a far more central location.

Connecting the Crosstown seamlessly or extending the BDL on the old corridor would have been an acceptable compromise and provided similar benefits if not more if run up thru Markham/Milner towards Malvern TC instead of McCowan/Sheppard. But the benefits for both the vast majority of riders feeding into the 3 stop subway and the development of a connected Centre will be far outweigh the inconvenience of the transfer LRT

Last edited:
lol growth nodes. Central London has the kind of density that no area in Toronto's suburbs will ever achieve.

Can you provide detail on the exact transfers in London you find useful we can compare if they fit similar circumstance and reason? I get the concern over the cost of tunneling thru Scarborough for the subway but I dont understand the strong desire to hack in transit when it doesn't have to be and shouldn't be for both riders and yes a major planned growth node in the GTA

Your lol jab really has nothing to do with the connectivity of central Scarborough and is a very poor high level comparison to undermine this issue.

Last edited:

Back