408     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 758     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

My afternoon take:

Matlow is desperate.

Really, really desperate.
Very.

I get his arguments but quite frankly, re-engineering STC is a better plan in the long run. City staff (Not Tory), sold me on that vision. Making STC as a desirable destination like North York Centre is a more viable long term plan.

Matlow plan is getting grilled and there's no guarantee of a 24 stop network right from the get-go. That's a very long delay and a lot of money to go back. The maths don't add up.

afternoon take:

I miss Miller

I get the overall sense that Tory is just out of his depth trying to run the City of Toronto. He has no overarching vision for the city. He just seems to take positions and grasp at issues in a haphazard way.

Like him or not, Miller tended to have strong, well-articulated visions of how the city should be run (the City of Toronto act, Transit City, Live with Culture, Waterfront Toronto, etc). Tory doesn't strike me as someone who thinks a lot about how cities work. I'm not even sure why he wanted to be mayor.

I get the overall sense that Tory is just out of his depth trying to run the City of Toronto. He has no overarching vision for the city. He just seems to take positions and grasp at issues in a haphazard way.

Like him or not, Miller tended to have strong, well-articulated visions of how the city should be run (the City of Toronto act, Transit City, Live with Culture, Waterfront Toronto, etc). Tory doesn't strike me as someone who thinks a lot about how cities work. I'm not even sure why he wanted to be mayor.

Well, he is the creature of the province (just look at the whole ST debacle). Which is kind of ironic, because he never got to run it.

AoD

Since Day 1 this has been my biggest problem with Tory. He vigorously fights for the status quo; I sense no clear desire for him to advance the city. More than any other mayor we've had, he seems intensely determined to do as little as possible.

Since Day 1 this has been my biggest problem with Tory. He vigorously fights for the status quo; I sense no clear desire for him to advance the city. More than any other mayor we've had, he seems intensely determined to do as little as possible.

We got exactly what we voted for...boring and "anything but Ford". Once the hangover of Ford has passed, Tory will have a fight on his hands if a charismatic and competent candidate comes along next time

Moreover, my problem with Tory is that he doesn't even believe the things he support are the best options for the city. We know this from his positions before he got involved in municipal politics. He supports the things he does purely because he believe it will have him reelected. I can't support that level of selfishness amongst a politician. At least with Rob Ford and Miller, I could respect that they were fighting for what they genuinely believed was best for Toronto, and not simply throwing Torontonians under the bus to save their own career.

Someone close to Tory once said that the man has no backbone, and will support anything that will get him elected. He was absolutely right about that.

don't worry smart track is coming.. no one knows when, what it is or how much it costs but it has SMART in the name. Anyone realize how far off 2031 is. I guess for the next 20 years we will continue to see more and more growth downtown as people will give up on the TTC and will want to walk or bike to work. The good news is that this crappy plan is going to continue to grow the downtown core by creating more disillusioned ttc riders. Good luck trying to get people to move out to the suburbs post 2040 after the city has transitioned to being an urban city. Moving to scarborough will be as appealing as someone from NYC moving to New Jersey.

Let's look forward a few years. It's given that the subway will be approved today, although its likely going to be a close vote. How long will it take for the EA to be completed, and for the full extent of the cost overruns are known? Will that be before or after 2018?

Let's look forward a few years. It's given that the subway will be approved today, although its likely going to be a close vote. How long will it take for the EA to be completed, and for the full extent of the cost overruns are known? Will that be before or after 2018?

After 2018 unless they're ridiculously obvious. Nobody will lose their 2018 seat by voting in favour of the subway today.

Moving to scarborough will be as appealing as someone from NYC moving to New Jersey.

I generally agree, but the good parts of Jersey City are basically priced the same as the cheaper parts of Manhatten Island, but with a more expensive commute. It's not that big of a deterrent.

Back