News   Apr 18, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

If you actually commuted in Scarborough, you'd realize the 1 stop subway extension will shorten the commutes of relatively few people in Scarborough. A trip from UTSC to downtown would be a whopping 1 minute faster on the Scarbrough Subeay.

Where is this coming from? The 38 Highland Creek bus is a 15 minute commute from the campus to Scarborough Centre Stn. STC to Kennedy is 10 minutes via the SRT, the non-stop subway would be 6 minutes tops. That's at least 4 minutes savings, not including the time it takes to transfer lines. Of course the 38 could always be made into a limited stop express route (Durham Region is even planning a BRT-lite route along Ellesmere which could run from STC to Durham via UTSC) further reducing the travel time.

And of course your comment ignores the fact that Tory's proposal is the only one that actually revives the SMLRT to UTSC from the proverbial ashes it was previously left in; featuring prominently as a condition of getting the so-called "one-stop" subway extension approved (so-called because future stations can and likely will be roughed in).

Tory's proposal is good for everybody involved. But let me guess, you likely see building anything in Scarborough as somehow "stealing" from "more deserving" DRL projects; even though neither projects are mutually exclusive and monies can easily materialize for both if only the petty tribalism (i.e. region vs. region) and infighting would stop.

Where is this coming from? The 38 Highland Creek bus is a 15 minute commute from the campus to Scarborough Centre Stn. STC to Kennedy is 10 minutes via the SRT, the non-stop subway would be 6 minutes tops. That's at least 4 minutes savings, not including the time it takes to transfer lines. Of course the 38 could always be made into a limited stop express route (Durham Region is even planning a BRT-lite route along Ellesmere which could run from STC to Durham via UTSC) further reducing the travel time.

And of course your comment ignores the fact that Tory's proposal is the only one that actually revives the SMLRT to UTSC from the proverbial ashes it was previously left in; featuring prominently as a condition of getting the so-called "one-stop" subway extension approved (so-called because future stations can and likely will be roughed in).

Tory's proposal is good for everybody involved. But let me guess, you likely see building anything in Scarborough as somehow "stealing" from "more deserving" DRL projects; even though neither projects are mutually exclusive and monies can easily materialize for both if only the petty tribalism (i.e. region vs. region) and infighting would stop.

No it's not. practically everyone pointing what a massive waste this subway is, is poniting out that the SMLRT is one of several lines that could be built instead with the Subways funding and serve Scarborough much better. and there is no longer funding available for this LRT, the subway has sucked much of it up again.

And the SMLRT was put into the ashes because of Subways, and was one of several lines that would likely have been funded by now, along with several others that would have been built by now if not for the resurgence of subway buffoonery over the last few years.

Second, Scarborough is not the only part of the city that needs transit relief. Everyone does. Scarborough getting exactly what they want means someone else does not. I'm not even going to comment not he nonsense 7-stop subway remark. A nice dream, sure. But impossible.

"If you don't get it you never will. "
The difference is Scarborough needs transit access, not relief.

Somehow the consensus on here and with the transit lefties is that better off people on the Yonge Line getting a bit of relief is a higher priority than immigrants in Scarborough getting equal access in the first place.

If it weren't for our politicians striving for social and transit equity then the situation would be pretty dire.

Somehow the consensus on here and with the transit lefties is that better off people on the Yonge Line getting a bit of relief is a higher priority than immigrants in Scarborough getting access in the first place.

That's BS

And Scarborough would have better transit access with LRT, not one subway stop.

Yah, I don't think Scarborough has an argument for transit access after rejecting the LRT in favour of the subway plan.

In either case, this is the same argument waged against York Region on extending the Yonge subway. We cannot afford to do it because the current Yonge subway is well over capacity, and things will grind to a halt if the Yonge subway is not relieved. The economic vitality of our city-region is dependent on our downtown and the Yonge subway, there is no debate over that. So yes, relieving the Yonge subway is and should always be our number one priority.

Luckily for Scarborough (unlike York Region), extending the Line 2 subway doesn't preclude relieving the Yonge subway, just potentially competing with available funds. It will exacerbate the problem at Bloor-Danforth as the hordes of Scarborough commuters get stuck at that bottleneck, but hey, they wanted their precious subway not the Relief Line anyway, right?

Somehow the consensus on here and with the transit lefties is that better off people on the Yonge Line getting a bit of relief is a higher priority than immigrants in Scarborough getting equal access in the first place.
Because immigrants don't live in other parts of the city :facepalm:. Is this a coffey1 alt account? I can't really take this post seriously either.

If it weren't for our politicians striving for social and transit equity then the situation would be pretty dire.

I really get a chuckle about this constant reference to 'lefties'. Righties don't want to build transit at all. Lefties figure the public purse is endless, and there is an endless supply of fat rich bastards who deserve to be taxed heavily to pay for what the public needs. If lefties were actually involved, Scarborough would have two subways already.

What we have are centrists who have a dilemma over how to make the best use of a pot of money that is ultimately finite. They work in concert (too closely, imho) with a development community who have their own finite pool of money and want to make that pot grow to obscene size. Sure, the system is beyond the influence of the average Joe, but that's a universal. There are no transit 'rich' communities. I can walk to a subway, and to a GO station....now try getting anywhere quickly, without pushing on to a crowded vehicle.

Is Scarborough getting its share ? I wouldn't know how to quantify that. Certainly the developers don't have any obligation to be 'fair' about where they spend their funds. Do they demand transit before they spend? Not in Humber Bay, that's for sure.

No one is saying the public money isn't going to be spent in Scarborough - this is a debate about how to spend it wisely. We are showing Scarborough the love, we simply don't want it all put in one hole.

As I said above, this is a fact-based transit planning process that has been snagged and hijacked by a non-transit issue, ie Scarberians' sense of being deprived. The rational solution is to de link the two...... give Scarborough something that gives them status, and gets them off the transit wavelength. A theme park, a major league franchise, heck even a new auto plant ! Maybe Siemens could set up a new streetcar assembly line there. I suspect Tory has his backroom people burning the midnight oil along these lines - that's how politics works.

- Paul

Last edited:
And the SMLRT was put into the ashes because of Subways, and was one of several lines that would likely have been funded by now, along with several others that would have been built by now if not for the resurgence of subway buffoonery over the last few years.

Please stop & don't make shit up. The SMLRT was put in the ashes by METROLINX under MCGUINTY. At the time they had proposed two hack LRT lines which McGuinty was toying and cutting back further. Has nothing to do with subway. NOTHING

You read about this line probably weekly. Do you really have no clue whatsoever? Scarborough has enough trouble with hand picked "facts" that atleast carry some truth to fit the Political narrative. This is just absurd.

Peak ridership.png
Do you care that boardings at STC are expected to be only 7500?

Do you care that....

figure is better than 70-80% of the current stops NOW. It'l be #3 on the B-D line for #$* sakes. Imagine that kind of ridership would have put SCC possibly near the top 90% at the time of construction for the subway system.

I personally think itll be much higher when you consider 35-40K per day in the area of the RT already & those are the ones who have to use it. Im very interested to see the number when other commuters will actually decide to use it. Well see soon enough. Either way it very good for a subway contrary to the red brush it's been painted with.

Or did you think that number was per day? Because of how it has been used so negatively in the media I could see that mistake. So very far overblown. I see some stops that could be removed though and help my commute if you want to have that discussion? But lets not.

Gonna be a great stop. One of the best actaully

Attachments

• Peak ridership.png
    Peak ridership.png
    178.2 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
But we need to build 6km of subway to get to that stop. One way of looking at it is that it'll be the 3rd busiest stop on the BD line. Another way of looking at it is that it'll have the lowest ridership of any 6km of subway on the entire system. I think the second way makes more sense since subways cost more by distance.

When you have an artificially constructed metric like the one you just made up, then yeah sure. But the only reason you're getting such a figure is due to the cost-cutting on this line that resulted in this one-stop subway extension in the first place. There should at least be a Lawrence East stop to replace the current one. Not too concerned about the the Sheppard-McCowan stop though, personally, though it would be a nice-to-have.

I still have a hard time believing these new cost estimates. It really makes me concerned for the DRL....

Back