News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 313     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 686     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

That itself is a fallacy as for the same cost of the subway, we could built the Scarb LRT, Sheppard LRT and Eglinton East LRT.

Well that's just a silly argument, as I could just as easily say, instead of building the DRL long east + west ($15-20B?), we could build every single imaginable LRT line in the entire GTA.

If we look at it like this, we'd never build another subway ever again.

I think the waters are so muddy now, the best thing we can hope for is a dedicated transit tax like Los Angeles to build the SSE with a stop at Lawrence and to build the DRL after. The promise of subways seems to be the only thing people see as progress, rightly or wrongly. But if this can show people that their money is being spent specifically on something they can "see", maybe a dedicated revenue stream for transit will be more palatable.

The worst case is we have another right-wing populist who balks at the $3 billion price tag, vows to pay for it with "efficiencies", guts TTC service again, doesn't find enough, doesn't want to raise taxes, and Scarborough ends up with nothing.

Well that's just a silly argument, as I could just as easily say, instead of building the DRL long east + west ($15-20B?), we could build every single imaginable LRT line in the entire GTA.

If we look at it like this, we'd never build another subway ever again.
It's not the same thing. The difference is that the LRT is appropriate for the projected ridership on the SRT route, and a subway is appropriate for the projected ridership on the DRL route. We should be building transit based on ridership rather than based on who "deserves" a subway.

Ah, but that is the key fallacy though...the amount of people within walking distance of the 7 LRT stops is basically irrelevant as none of them aside from STC really matter.

All sarcasm aside. A 7 Stop subway would be even better and your points would be validated and so would the oppositions.

Im also not quite sure its a 7 stop LRT anymore with Smarttrack. So not really an accurate statement anymore but yes ore than 1 stop in any event :)

It's not the same thing. The difference is that the LRT is appropriate for the projected ridership on the SRT route, and a subway is appropriate for the projected ridership on the DRL route. We should be building transit based on ridership rather than based on who "deserves" a subway.

Aw yes we built subways elsewhere and then decided to make a ridership model afterward which wasn't used to justify any of the existing lines at the time. Interesting. SCC has more ridership potential than appox. 80% of the current stops. It all politics & make for a great "fact" to be used to segregate SCC as a useful hub.

"Sorry Scarborough Center we decided to create a new model that was never used before, just a coincidence you're inline for new transit."

Last edited:
I think the waters are so muddy now, the best thing we can hope for is a dedicated transit tax like Los Angeles to build the SSE with a stop at Lawrence and to build the DRL after. The promise of subways seems to be the only thing people see as progress, rightly or wrongly. But if this can show people that their money is being spent specifically on something they can "see", maybe a dedicated revenue stream for transit will be more palatable.

The worst case is we have another right-wing populist who balks at the $3 billion price tag, vows to pay for it with "efficiencies", guts TTC service again, doesn't find enough, doesn't want to raise taxes, and Scarborough ends up with nothing.
I think it should be the tax anyways but now im praying even more so for tolls and parking taxes as scarborough residents are easily the most attached to their cars. Put a toll on the gardiner expressway too please especially since we decided to keep it up for them.

we need more transit
tory is playing the fool
give us the transit

Of course we were sold a sham by Ford Nation
But hold those streetcars Lefties, Scarborough isn't down with the other sham of City Segregation

Look at all those stops who cares about yet another transfer?
How about that many stops on a surface subway. Now look I found the answer

Last edited:
I thought streetcars were placed only in the rich parts of town. You're going to have to live with a second rate lrt instead.
screen-shot-2016-06-28-at-8-49-06-pm-png.79944

What if the King Streetcar turned into a different technology at Yonge so they people could transfer going in the same direction. Maybe when they upgrade King st. the East King can get LRT & the West gets underground subway. A similar design was applauded in Scarborough?

Now there's a more accurate comparison. Again.... It's a BS segregated design not the technology.

Last edited:

Back