News   Apr 25, 2024
 255     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 582     0 

TTC: McNicoll Bus Garage (Approved)

The Portlands would likely be a good spot for a new downtown garage. The city already owns a ton of lands there, they are designated for low density employment uses still, and it would provide very easy deadheading into the downtown with access to the Gardiner.
And it doesn't have to be a hideous anti-urban industrial street presence. If you make it multi-level garage, you can wrap it with shallow midrise (single loaded apartment midrise) with retail or townhouses at grade.

If Europe can do it, why can't TTC??

There are many places in Europe where bus granges are been torn down and being rebuilt on the same site, but underground with mixed development on top of it. This becomes a win win for the transit system as they not only get a new garage, but income from the development on top of it.

I have seen garages that have many levels to the point staff car parking below ground, trams storage with bus and tram maintenance at grade and 2 levels of bus storage above grade.

If Europe can do it, why can't TTC??

There are many places in Europe where bus granges are been torn down and being rebuilt on the same site, but underground with mixed development on top of it. This becomes a win win for the transit system as they not only get a new garage, but income from the development on top of it.

I have seen garages that have many levels to the point staff car parking below ground, trams storage with bus and tram maintenance at grade and 2 levels of bus storage above grade.
Yep, the RATP in Paris is doing this with all of their garages. Sadly TfL in London sold the garages to private operators when the routes were put out to tender... :(

Found this really neat piece of history the other day and wanted to share - the trees are located at the western edge of the employee parking lot next to Kennedy.
3580608D-F2F1-4039-B378-DF4AEF86F2BC.jpeg
579E2B70-CEDF-40FC-882B-37D10BF145F8.jpeg

Found this really neat piece of history the other day and wanted to share - the trees are located at the western edge of the employee parking lot next to Kennedy.
View attachment 393309View attachment 393310
A few weeks ago I was walking around the Exhibition grounds and happened upon some Vimy Oaks and a plaque describing their origin. It mentioned those were descended from these oaks in Scarborough, but was not very specific about the location of Lieutenant Miller's farm. Thanks for getting me the info! 😉

Back