News   Apr 16, 2024
 425     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.6K     7 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

Other branches could go along Weston Road/Albion Road (following the railway part of the way, if there is room) and/or Dixon Road. All merging to go downtown.

Branching is the key word.

It would be very stupid to build a Jane LRT with 8km underground (Wilson to Bloor). The only time such a length should be underground would be if multiple branches share the tunnel.
Just like Eglinton, there is no way anyone would propose an 11km underground section, costing over $4B, unless multiple branches were using it.

Other branches could go along Weston Road/Albion Road (following the railway part of the way, if there is room) and/or Dixon Road. All merging to go downtown.

How about this:

At Scarlett Rd, Eglinton LRT splits into two branches.

One continues west along Eglinton into Mississauga to serve the offices there and eventually connect to the Hurontario LRT.

The other goes north on Scarlett and west on Dixon Rd to the airport, also serving the apartment buildings on Dixon (which are now world famous).

How about this:

At Scarlett Rd, Eglinton LRT splits into two branches.

One continues west along Eglinton into Mississauga to serve the offices there and eventually connect to the Hurontario LRT.

The other goes north on Scarlett and west on Dixon Rd to the airport, also serving the apartment buildings on Dixon (which are now world famous).

I think, this is quite reasonable.

It will be even better to operate all 3 branches: Scarlett - Dixon - Pearson, Eglinton West - Mississauga, and Jane North. But I am not sure if this will work from the scheduling perspective.

There are transit systems out there that operate 3 or even more branches. But TTC's customers are used to fairly frequent service on every major route; if the trunk must operate at 3x higher frequency, it might be difficult to sustain.

I think, this is quite reasonable.

It will be even better to operate all 3 branches: Scarlett - Dixon - Pearson, Eglinton West - Mississauga, and Jane North. But I am not sure if this will work from the scheduling perspective.

There are transit systems out there that operate 3 or even more branches. But TTC's customers are used to fairly frequent service on every major route; if the trunk must operate at 3x higher frequency, it might be difficult to sustain.

Or split the trains at junction stations going outbound. If they keep three, four, even five light rail vehicle trains for downtown, they could split the trains so each car could serve different branches. Maybe have standbys cars on sidings for problem situations.

Is it available online? Maybe you could upload to Dropbox and post a link here.

Apologies for the delay in getting the files uploaded. Here's the link to just the Jane documents: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2579egirb5im589/AADGIRoGwnTORe5MEAtK638Oa/Jane

and here's the link to the rest of the Transit City documents: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2579egirb5im589/AAD5lOQ8d88zBpSZmKsynXNla

I pulled them all off the city's website just after Rob Ford got elected since I figured they'd get removed at some point

Apologies for the delay in getting the files uploaded. Here's the link to just the Jane documents: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2579egirb5im589/AADGIRoGwnTORe5MEAtK638Oa/Jane

and here's the link to the rest of the Transit City documents: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2579egirb5im589/AAD5lOQ8d88zBpSZmKsynXNla

I pulled them all off the city's website just after Rob Ford got elected since I figured they'd get removed at some point

Too bad one has to jump through hoops to get them from the Toronto Archives. Wonder if and when the proper documents for the Jane LRT and Transit City end up in the Toronto Archives in some easy access?

So we started talking about the Jane LRT on the Sheppard East thread. A lot of people were pointing out that things could be difficult between Eglinton and Bloor.

Ya I always thought that running the Jane LRT to Mount Dennis station might be a good idea instead of going south to Bloor.

That seems totally feasible to me, for the most part. The property should be easy to obtain, just punch it through and under the north end of the bridge, then go parallel to the Weston/MacTier subs to Mount Dennis.

5E9ilU0.png

The property owners are Metrolinx (3500 Eglinton Ave W + 55 Ray Ave; ECLRT Maintenance Facility), Canada Post (66 Ray Ave; Toronto West Delivery Depot), the TTC (121 Industry St; Mount Dennis Garage) and likely the City (road allowance, Touchstone Dr). Four public bodies who could find the space to offer a cheap surface ROW. In the future, an underground tunnel can redirect it back towards Jane south of Eglinton.

This would avoid the cost and property impacts that are south of Weston, perhaps making a more palatable project for the City to accept and the province to fund.

paY4SDz.png

Though how about connectivity for those travelling through Jane.

Probably simpler to just terminate it at the proposed phase 2 Eglinton line station at Jane.

That's a possibility ... though I'm not sure how the LRT would swing onto Jane at the tracks ... that looks a bit tricky, given the property constraints and bridge. And also an unnecessary detour for those travelling up Jane.

That's a possibility ... though I'm not sure how the LRT would swing onto Jane at the tracks ... that looks a bit tricky, given the property constraints and bridge. And also an unnecessary detour for those travelling up Jane.
Yeah, I'm thinking a portal structure or something, kind of like at Bay and Queens Quay for the 509/510. Only difference is the road is at a sloped grade and the TTC tracks are level.

Anyway, its tradeoffs; a little property difficulty there vs. all the way south to Bloor, and a little detour for those continuing south on Jane in return for a direct connection to the Crosstown.

Though how about connectivity for those travelling through Jane.

Probably simpler to just terminate it at the proposed phase 2 Eglinton line station at Jane.

It would be interesting to know how many people ride across the Eglinton valley, and to where.

It's not unlike what happened to various bus routes when the Bloor Subway opened - we ended up with Royal York north and south, Kipling north and south, etc. Whereas some (Dufferin, for example) go right through Bloor.

I'm wondering what north-south destinations and districts would most benefit from connectivity to the Mount Dennis hub, too. The Stockyards? The Junction district? High Park? There may be people who want to go straight along Jane, but having all those north-south bus routes make the trip to Mount Dennis has some merit.

- Paul

Anyway, its tradeoffs; a little property difficulty there vs. all the way south to Bloor, and a little detour for those continuing south on Jane in return for a direct connection to the Crosstown.
I wasn't thinking going all the way to Bloor. I was thinking of going to Jane station on the Crosstown line (which will presumably be built long before the Jane LRT becomes reality).

Back