News   Apr 26, 2024
 218     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 169     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 609     0 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

In a world where most of Jane could be more than 4 lanes wide and where a DRL proposal did not exist, then the Jane LRT would perhaps be a good idea. But unfortunately we don't live in that world.

I would like to see it built. Underground south of Wilson, maybe above ground around Eglinton Flats, and above ground north of Wilson.

I'd have it underground from Falstaff to Weston Road and then in a ROW in the weston rail corridor where it would connect to Mt. Dennis Station and terminate at Dundas West.

I really hope this never gets built.

It does seem like it could be a bit awkward in terms of routing but I've always really liked the Jane LRT. Proven high-ridership bus route, substantial dense and/or low-income communities en route, and a new north-south transit line in the west of the city? Yes please.

Northwest Toronto could really use this. Major pockets of low-income people occur in these areas for this very reason, IMO; it takes forever to take a bus to get to the subway (and therefore anywhere else in the city). It takes me an hour to get from Weston to work in Midtown, and the only reason I want to move after my lease expires is because it takes so long to get anywhere. Objecting to building LRTs in these areas ignores the great social need for it, and doesn't encourage the potential prosperity these neighbourhoods have.

Northwest Toronto could really use this. Major pockets of low-income people occur in these areas for this very reason, IMO; it takes forever to take a bus to get to the subway (and therefore anywhere else in the city). It takes me an hour to get from Weston to work in Midtown, and the only reason I want to move after my lease expires is because it takes so long to get anywhere. Objecting to building LRTs in these areas ignores the great social need for it, and doesn't encourage the potential prosperity these neighbourhoods have.

For Eg-Weston to midtown, the Eg Crosstown should help.

For Finch-Weston to Jane-Finch, hopefully the Spadina extension with Finch West station helps (and the Finch LRT if it happens).

If Jane is 50% underground, it seems like overkill to me, but I guess I'm not too familiar with the Jane route.

If Jane is 50% underground, it seems like overkill to me, but I guess I'm not too familiar with the Jane route.

I'd agree. The appeal of LRT is supposed to be lower costs compared to a subway anyway, right?

I can see it going underground until the flats (at Eglinton). The only major constraints after that are a) interfacing with the future phase of the Crosstown, and b) space restrictions under the 401.

How many people that actually want this to happen have regularly taken the Jane bus?

One of my favourite restaurants in the City of Toronto is just south of Jane St. and Wilson Ave. (Mì Phở Song Vũ at 2109 Jane St.), and it's not easy to get up there!

The roads are always clogged.

There's little space in many areas to widen Jane St.

I think it would be a miserable idea.

Besides, isn't underground LRT just as expensive, or even more expensive, than subways?

Last edited:
I remember reading on here that Jane St. also has lots of hills, especially south of Eglinton. It won't be ideal conditions for an LRT, for sure....

How many people that actually want this to happen have regularly taken the Jane bus?

One of my favourite restaurants in the City of Toronto is just south of Jane St. and Wilson Ave. (Mì Phở Song Vũ at 2109 Jane St.), and it's not easy to get up there!

The roads are always clogged.

There's little space in many areas to widen Jane St.

I think it would be a miserable idea.

Besides, isn't underground LRT just as expensive, or even more expensive, than subways?

Thank you for recommending! I will definitely try that Pho place.

Anyways, if it's not easy to get there because the roads are "always clogged", then wouldn't the LRT make it easier to get there without any traffic at all? (by actually riding it)

Jane, north of the railway at Weston Road, could become an arm or branch of the DRL.

Or a branch of the Eglinton line.

These are my two personally preferred options for the Jane St corridor. Either build the LRT as an extension of or branch of the Eglinton line, or build a B-Line type of service along Jane feeding into Mount Dennis Station (current ECLRT terminus and hopefully future DRL terminus). The B-Line service would be a precursor to the subway, in order to gauge demand.

Any version of RT on Jane that does not directly feed into a downtown-bound RT line is going to be much less popular than one that is.

These are my two personally preferred options for the Jane St corridor. Either build the LRT as an extension of or branch of the Eglinton line, or build a B-Line type of service along Jane feeding into Mount Dennis Station (current ECLRT terminus and hopefully future DRL terminus). The B-Line service would be a precursor to the subway, in order to gauge demand.

Any version of RT on Jane that does not directly feed into a downtown-bound RT line is going to be much less popular than one that is.

Other branches could go along Weston Road/Albion Road (following the railway part of the way, if there is room) and/or Dixon Road. All merging to go downtown.

Back