News   Apr 19, 2024
 486     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.6K     3 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

Jane LRT
Steeles > Weston Road (Mt Dennis) > Eglinton (Line 5, interlined) > Dufferin > Exhibition > Bremner > Union

Think of the ridership on such a line.

Honestly, I get not every line has to go downtown. But if there's a city that needs more transit going in to Downtown, it's Toronto.

Although, some effort would be required to split the underground line near Dufferin. LRT can handle tight turns, yet any modifications to the underground structures are not trivial.

Maybe the trains coming from Jane will have to divert ~ 100 m before Dufferin, and skip the Eglinton & Dufferin intersection.

Or maybe the Jane trains will continue east on Eglinton till they reach the Eglinton West subway, then divert and go south-west back to Dufferin. As I remember, there are no highrises in those quarters, so the new LRT tunnel can cut diagonally to the street greed without hitting any deep foundations.

Although, some effort would be required to split the underground line near Dufferin. LRT can handle tight turns, yet any modifications to the underground structures are not trivial.

Maybe the trains coming from Jane will have to divert ~ 100 m before Dufferin, and skip the Eglinton & Dufferin intersection.

Or maybe the Jane trains will continue east on Eglinton till they reach the Eglinton West subway, then divert and go south-west back to Dufferin. As I remember, there are no highrises in those quarters, so the new LRT tunnel can cut diagonally to the street greed without hitting any deep foundations.
Don't forget about how hilly Dufferin south of Eglinton is.

Dufferin needs 2 tunnels with one south of Eglinton to south of Rogers Rd and North of St Clair to south of Dupont to the point you mild wise make it one tunnel.

How many time will Dufferin riders have to transfer to get from Top to Bottom for this idea???

How many time will Dufferin riders have to transfer to get from Top to Bottom for this idea???

They have to transfer 2 times as of today: bus 105 to the subway, and then subway to bus 29.

It would be basically same if the LRT route reaches the Eglinton West subway station before veering back to Dufferin.

Or it could be 0 transfers if another branch of the Dufferin LRT goes up all the way to Wilson, then through the Downsview airport lands, and continues to Steeles. But I guess this might belong in the Fantasy Maps thread.

Last edited:

South of Eglinton, tunnel is the only practical option; both because of the hills and because of the street width. The right-of-way only widens north of the former Belt Line, about 300 m north of Eglinton. If we want a continuous Dufferin line, it will have to be tunneled south of the Belt Line, but may run in the exclusive surface lanes north of that point.

Maybe the city should keep all LRT lines with the grid. So, Jane LRT should go to the Lakeshore

Lakeshore is unlikely because of the surface constraints. South straight on Jane, probably means a terminus at Bloor and little chance to get extended south of Bloor.

They have to transfer 2 times as of today: bus 105 to the subway, and then subway to bus 29.

It would be basically same if the LRT route reaches the Eglinton West subway station before veering back to Dufferin.

Or it could be 0 transfers if another branch of the Dufferin LRT goes up all the way to Wilson, then through the Downsview airport lands, and continues to Steeles. But I guess this might belong in the Fantasy Maps thread.
Talking about 29.

If the Dufferin LRT happen as proposed, riders will have to transfer once going north of Eglinton and assuming it goes to Dufferin Loop or Union Station or Exhibition. If not, a 2nd transfer from X to Y that not great for riders than a faster trip to/from Eglinton to/from ?

South of St Clair, there will be not ROW as the street is too narrow to support one without ripping everything out along it and that is DOA. You are better off having the line underground from Eglinton to just before the Dufferin loop.

Other than the cost of the tunnel south of Bloor St, there is no reason the Jane line can be part of the Waterfront LRT system and not using Queen or King at all. There is a cost to do the tunnel that could stop the extension.

Is there a real need to keep things in a grid system?? I looked back in 2006 of X and Z lines to move people from one corner to another as well servicing the city core. Many cities have such things in Europe. Doing so is very costly as it has to be 100% below ground and take decades to build at the rate of things done in Toronto as well opening in phases with construction on going.

It seems like the pace of implementation is picking up in Toronto/Ontario. As much as it is maligned, I think Metrolinx plays a role in that. It also makes the province a much more obvious and direct role in getting things done, instead of just being the level of government that held the purse-strings and the cities would beg for cash. It also seems like the Ontario PC Party has been swung enough to be pro-transit. Probably because the suburban ring around Toronto gets it that we can't build any more roads and things are just going to get worse.

I just hope that with Metrolinx we make plans and execute them. Instead of endless waffling about which solution is better. The deployment of BRT in the York, Brampton, etc has been encouraging too. Looks like Dundas will be getting BRT as well. Just get it done.

I understand why you might have it going to Eg West Station then back to Dufferin but I think in this scenario riders can simply transfer at Line 5, or Caledonia or Mount Dennis.. A Jane > Eglinton > Dufferin LRT would cross 2 GO lines where riders can get express service downtown or to the Suburbs.

Majority of Jane riders are north of Eglinton, Majority of Dufferin riders are south of Eglinton. Through my observation at least. This routing also allows for useful connections to 5 streetcar routes..

Last edited:
Talking about 29.

If the Dufferin LRT happen as proposed, riders will have to transfer once going north of Eglinton and assuming it goes to Dufferin Loop or Union Station or Exhibition. If not, a 2nd transfer from X to Y that not great for riders than a faster trip to/from Eglinton to/from ?

South of St Clair, there will be not ROW as the street is too narrow to support one without ripping everything out along it and that is DOA. You are better off having the line underground from Eglinton to just before the Dufferin loop.

Other than the cost of the tunnel south of Bloor St, there is no reason the Jane line can be part of the Waterfront LRT system and not using Queen or King at all. There is a cost to do the tunnel that could stop the extension.

Is there a real need to keep things in a grid system?? I looked back in 2006 of X and Z lines to move people from one corner to another as well servicing the city core. Many cities have such things in Europe. Doing so is very costly as it has to be 100% below ground and take decades to build at the rate of things done in Toronto as well opening in phases with construction on going.

Is everyone going to/from the core? The issue you run into is that you need both to serve the city.

Is everyone going to/from the core? The issue you run into is that you need both to serve the city.

Yes, most people are going Downtown. Not a majority, but most. And yes, most of the growth in terms of employment in total numbers is also Downtown.

The YorkU extension, Line 5 Eglinton, Line 7 Finch West, Scarborough Subway, and the Yonge extension will all increase the burden on already overcapacity Downtown bound subway lines.

If GO electrification doesn't materialize in a significant way, even with the Ontario Line, the capacity issues into downtown will persist. IMHO the biggest priority for Toronto in terms of transit is increasing capacity into downtown.

Yes, most people are going Downtown. Not a majority, but most. And yes, most of the growth in terms of employment in total numbers is also Downtown.

The YorkU extension, Line 5 Eglinton, Line 7 Finch West, Scarborough Subway, and the Yonge extension will all increase the burden on already overcapacity Downtown bound subway lines.

If GO electrification doesn't materialize in a significant way, even with the Ontario Line, the capacity issues into downtown will persist. IMHO the biggest priority for Toronto in terms of transit is increasing capacity into downtown.
There's no reason to believe now that GO Electrification isn't happening. They just announced yesterday they have teams actively working on a bid that will close in Spring 2021.

There's no reason to believe now that GO Electrification isn't happening. They just announced yesterday they have teams actively working on a bid that will close in Spring 2021.
1599764836757.png

Back