News   Apr 23, 2024
 798     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 418     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

Humm!!! someone needs to ride the Jane buses

By improvements, I mean that the mode wouldn't have to change. The southern stretch of the Jane bus is busy, but it moves. There isn't any guarantee that a streetcar, especially on the narrow, hilly stretch south of Eglinton, would be any faster. At least observationally, most people who get on along the route don't necessarily leave the bus at Jane station, so I think ending the service at a regional rail station on the Weston sub where riders would have, say, a 15 minute ride to downtown or Brampton/airport to be a better deal than riding an LRT to Dundas West.

I forgot about the Eglinton line; okay, fair enough, a Jane BRT could probably curl southeast down Weston to meet up with Eglinton at an intermodal Mount Dennis GO station.

I would like to get thoughts on a regional rail station at Dundas West station? We already have GO, someday a DRL, railpath, Blue 22 and lots of land to build.

Even with the existing conditions a Jane LRT termination at Dundas West would connect to the Junction, King Street, Dundas Street, Roncesvalles and with one change Queen Street.

Dundas West has the potential to be Toronto's second Union station. It could potentially serve:

- Bloor-Danforth subway
- DRL subway
- Jane LRT
- 3 streetcar routes
- 2-5 bus routes
- GO Brampton, Georgetown, Kitchener
- GO Mississauga, Milton
- GO Bolton
- GO Newmarket, Barrie (with a short tunnel)
- VIA Kitchener, London
- Blue 22 Airport

It's also surrounded by land that is ripe for development, with possible offices and high density residential supporting such a station. But for this to happen it would need a coordinated plan for the area.

The east end of Dundas West station is located beneath Bloor station so a convenient connection could be added when volumes justify it.

Dundas West has the potential to be Toronto's second Union station. It could potentially serve:

- Bloor-Danforth subway
- DRL subway
- Jane LRT
- 3 streetcar routes
- 2-5 bus routes
- GO Mississauga, Milton
- GO Bolton
- VIA Kitchener, London
- Blue 22 Airport

It's also surrounded by land that is ripe for development, with possible offices and high density residential supporting such a station. But for this to happen it would need a coordinated plan for the area.

Totally agree. If you're gonna dream, you might as well dream big. I would be so ecstatic if the Crossways and the Price chopper/Shoppers were pulled down to make way for some giant mall/condo-multiplex with an adjoining 8-track intercity and regional rail station. Turn the Wallace triangle into Shibuya. Booyah!

Totally agree. If you're gonna dream, you might as well dream big. I would be so ecstatic if the Crossways and the Price chopper/Shoppers were pulled down to make way for some giant mall/condo-multiplex with an adjoining 8-track intercity and regional rail station. Turn the Wallace triangle into Shibuya. Booyah!

See, this is exactly why I think Toronto needs some serious master planning. So much potential, so little vision.

If the Jane LRT is to go down to the Jane Subway Station, instead of my preference of the Dundas West Subway Station, does that mean the possibility of the return of the 138 South Kingsway bus?

I think that from 1989 to about 1996, there was a 138 South Kingsway bus that ran from the Jane Subway Station down along the South Kingsway, and looping over part of the current 77 Swansea looping by the Queensway.

If the Jane LRT does wind up going to Jane station, it would be silly not to extend it the short distance south to the Queensway to integrate it with the West Waterfront LRT.

If the Jane LRT does wind up going to Jane station, it would be silly not to extend it the short distance south to the Queensway to integrate it with the West Waterfront LRT.

The 138 South Kingsway bus vanished in 1996 due to low ridership and Mike Harris' downloading. We'll have to return the 138 South Kingsway bus to see if the ridership will return and exceed the 1996 numbers before we can even think to extend Jane LRT down to the Queensway.

Either way it should be sent down to the Waterfront West. The question is:

Will the southern connection be either if it's done at Jane or if it's done at Dundas West?

Coming south on Jane, the street passes over the railway corridor just south of Trethewey. From there, the CN Weston subdivision goes southwest towards Bloor GO / Dundas West station and on into the downtown core.

- Bloor-Danforth subway
- DRL subway
- Jane LRT
- 3 streetcar routes
- 2-5 bus routes
- GO Mississauga, Milton
- GO Bolton
- VIA Kitchener, London
- Blue 22 Airport

Not quite as coordinated as you probably want, but here are some related City projects:

1) Bloor Dundas Avenue Study: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/bloordundas.htm

2) Wallace Junction Focus Area: http://www.southjunctiontriangle.ca/WallaceJunctionFocusAreaMeeting

3) Bloor-Lansdowne Avenue Study (Yarr...my link to it is dead).

4) They're already looking at tunneling from Bloor GO to Dundas West: http://www.southjunctiontriangle.ca/node/113

5) Adam Giambrone has mentioned the possibility of a Bloor station on the Barrie line, though that's likely VERY far off....

Back