News   May 10, 2024
 594     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 689     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 872     0 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

The underground section of the Crosstown can be a trunk route and there could be divergent routes going up Jane and Don Mills to at least have half of those original lines built.

I always thought that the West DRL should now connect to the Jane LRT at Jane and Bloor if Smarttrack goes ahead, as to not create competing services at Dundas West. Basically the same issue thats happening with the Scarborough Subway.

The connection possibility at Jane and St.Clair of a GO transit stop, extension of 512 streetcar is also an interesting Mobility Hub.

I always thought that the West DRL should now connect to the Jane LRT at Jane and Bloor if Smarttrack goes ahead, as to not create competing services at Dundas West. Basically the same issue thats happening with the Scarborough Subway.

The connection possibility at Jane and St.Clair of a GO transit stop, extension of 512 streetcar is also an interesting Mobility Hub.

Except that there's nothing at Jane and St. Clair apart from big box stores and body shops. Not quite "mobility hub" material...

Well the Jane LRT is still part of The Big Move (as far as I know). But nobody seems to be politically interested in it, so I wouldn't hold your breath. The project is essentially dead.
Base on Transit Expansion Presentation at TTC meeting yesterday, it still on the table as well a number of new lines.

Without seeing the map up close, it was hard to say what new lines and Transit City lines are now on the table. Need to watch Steve Munro site since he was able to get a copy of the presentation.

Under my 2006 Master Transit Plan, I did call for U line which I found out later was part of a DRL. Up to this time I have never seen any of the transit plans that been call for over a decade. I call for the U line to Jane from Steeles in the east, Queen at the Bottom with either Don Mills, Victoria Park Or Markham as the other leg going to Steeles as Phase 1. Phase 2 would extend the lines north into the 905.

I also call for $50 Billion in subway and LRT expansion then for Toronto only.

Except that there's nothing at Jane and St. Clair apart from big box stores and body shops. Not quite "mobility hub" material...

Mobility hubs have nothing to do with serving the surrounding area but as a way to transfer easily to different modes of transit.

In fact they are often in low density areas (Warden station, the new Downsview Park Station, etc)

Put a GO Station there, than it becomes a true hub. You do that, the whole area will change for the better with nice density to support the hub.

Put a GO Station there, than it becomes a true hub. You do that, the whole area will change for the better with nice density to support the hub.

Exactly, thats what i'm saying! GO/Jane LRT/St.Clair Streetcar mobility hub.

Base on Transit Expansion Presentation at TTC meeting yesterday, it still on the table as well a number of new lines.

Without seeing the map up close, it was hard to say what new lines and Transit City lines are now on the table. Need to watch Steve Munro site since he was able to get a copy of the presentation.

Under my 2006 Master Transit Plan, I did call for U line which I found out later was part of a DRL. Up to this time I have never seen any of the transit plans that been call for over a decade. I call for the U line to Jane from Steeles in the east, Queen at the Bottom with either Don Mills, Victoria Park Or Markham as the other leg going to Steeles as Phase 1. Phase 2 would extend the lines north into the 905.

I also call for $50 Billion in subway and LRT expansion then for Toronto only.

I had the idea the other day that Jane LRT connected to Don Mills LRT in a U-Shape through an LRT DRL tunnel along Queen. 4-car length LRT's. Bonus? The Queen streetcar also gets routed through the tunnel through the downtown.

So many technical challenges, and would mean the LRT would be Streetcar Gauge, but it seemed like a cool idea to kill so many birds with one stone: Queen Streetcar Subway, DRL and Jane/Don Mills LRTs all in one!

I always wondered about this idea. But where would the GO Station fit?
The station would go on top of Jane and the south side since this is where GO runs now. The exist yard there can be removed as well a few business. This would be a walk-in station only.

This is where GO Needs to rethink at different type of service and could be part of a SmartTrack plan using LRT.

If things stay on course, Lambton Yard will disappear within the next 20 years or sooner.

I had the idea the other day that Jane LRT connected to Don Mills LRT in a U-Shape through an LRT DRL tunnel along Queen. 4-car length LRT's. Bonus? The Queen streetcar also gets routed through the tunnel through the downtown.

So many technical challenges, and would mean the LRT would be Streetcar Gauge, but it seemed like a cool idea to kill so many birds with one stone: Queen Streetcar Subway, DRL and Jane/Don Mills LRTs all in one!

That's a pretty cool idea, and it helps show the flexibility of a light rail system. It'd be a helluva lot better than Metrolinx's shortlisted LRT idea where the trains would compete with traffic in the worst possible area imaginable (downtown).

Exactly, thats what i'm saying! GO/Jane LRT/St.Clair Streetcar mobility hub.

That's a pretty cool idea, and it helps show the flexibility of a light rail system. It'd be a helluva lot better than Metrolinx's shortlisted LRT idea where the trains would compete with traffic in the worst possible area imaginable (downtown).

And im sure you can overcome the gauge issue by running both gauges through the tunneled portion, showing even greater flexibility!

Example below is from Lucerne:

Multi_track_rail_crossing_Lucerne.jpg

- Wikipedia

Though I've heard there's a girl who works at a store there.

Can confirm. Was dazzled by her smile while I shopped there.

And im sure you can overcome the gauge issue by running both gauges through the tunneled portion, showing even greater flexibility!

Although I really appreciate proposing functional solutions from elsewhere, I don't think it would work in this case. TTC gauge and standard gauge are VERY similar. Each wheel is only ~1 inch "further out" than with standard gauge. There's still ways to make it work with the track itself, but I can't think of how you could make it work at the stations.

Does the station matter all that much? The LRT and Streetcars are both low floor, no? You'd be able to have both sets of tracks together and not need to worry about whether the trains line up with a platform, as there won't be a platform. An inch of difference doesn't eliminate you from using the method shown above. Track 1 and 3 would be 1 gauge, and track 2 and 4 could be the other.

Back