News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 595     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 891     0 

TTC Headquarters Redevelopment 1900 Yonge (City of Toronto, ?s, ?)

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The TTC Headquarters building at Davisville is one of 8 sites listed in the initial ModernTO report by the City of Toronto that is looking to consolidate the City's office leases into fewer, more modern buildings, while at the same time maximizing the land use on particular sites that they own, to include "such [uses] as affordable housing, employment uses, and community infrastructure."

1900 Yonge.jpg

I assume that planning will start soon for a new TTC Headquarters at Eglinton Station so that the redevelopment of this site is not held up too long. Of course, the replacement HQ building at Eglinton may already be well not planning, jut with nothing public yet.

I was wrong about the TTC moving into a new building at Yonge & Eglinton: it seems that is no longer the plan. Following publication of our front page article, we were contacted by a representative of the City who let us know that the TTC is included amongst the departments which would be relocated into the 20 optimized buildings that the City will be retaining and upgrading. There is no specific proposal for where they would relocate yet, as all of the relocations will be subject to this extensive consultative report that will likely take many moons to settle. The front page story has been corrected.

Honestly that makes sense, why the need for a new building or to enter into another new lease - if they can consolidate into the existing civic centers.

It is true, the TTC staff has been languishing in an office space that wouldn't pass 3rd world standards. Not exactly the best way to attract the best and brightest talent.

It is a shame that Yonge and Eglinton did not work out for a future office space. That would be the right location.

Now I wonder if decking over the Davisville Yard will re-enter the picture.

You could fit a significant expansion to Oriole Park, extension of Duplex Ave to meet with Merton Street at Yonge, and several towers with a central plaza over the Davisville Yard if they were ambitious.

They won't be, let's be clear on expectations here. But I might look into creating a mock master-plan this weekend for fun. :)

The TTC Headquarters building at Davisville is one of 8 sites listed in the initial ModernTO report by the City of Toronto that is looking to consolidate the City's office leases into fewer, more modern buildings, while at the same time maximizing the land use on particular sites that they own, to include "such [uses] as affordable housing, employment uses, and community infrastructure."

View attachment 204681

I assume that planning will start soon for a new TTC Headquarters at Eglinton Station so that the redevelopment of this site is not held up too long. Of course, the replacement HQ building at Eglinton may already be well not planning, jut with nothing public yet.

Easily one of the coolest buildings in Toronto and one of my favourite buildings. And that Jetsons-esque bus pass through! We're so lucky that some barbarian hasn't destroyed this 1950s gem. When they invest in this site, hopefully they'll follow through on restoration and modernization rather than destroying. It's architectural layering that make Toronto a cut above 'new' places. It's encouraging to see Mississauga/Vaughan develop but they will NEVER have beauties like this.

Last edited:
You could fit a significant expansion to Oriole Park, extension of Duplex Ave to meet with Merton Street at Yonge, and several towers with a central plaza over the Davisville Yard if they were ambitious.

They won't be, let's be clear on expectations here. But I might look into creating a mock master-plan this weekend for fun. :)

As promised, I gave a mock master-plan an attempt.

Davisville_Deck_Redevelopment.png

My objective was to use the opportunity of decking over the Davisville yard to recreate a central european style town square plaza within the Davisville neighbourhood, while meeting housing objectives.

I also wanted to demonstrate what sort of density is achievable with an ambitious vision, while meeting city planning tall buildings design guidelines on tower floorplates and separation. As you can see, you could pack a lot of density onto the site. The 56s building at the corner would be an office tower replacing the existing McBrien building (sorry!), while the central plaza is lined with retail and restaurant patios and maybe a central fountain. The Yonge Street frontage is similarly lined with retail. Elsewhere you can note significant expansion for Oriole Park and Fiona Nelson Parkette to the north, an extension of Duplex Avenue to meet Merton at Yonge, with midrise buildings lining Duplex for additional density. Could also be worth using some of the Oriole Park addition to add another school to the area (perhaps where I put that flatiron building), since the area is over-capacity.

Anyway, I somehow doubt that the City will match my ambition for the site. :p

Back