News   Mar 28, 2024
 937     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 536     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 831     0 

TTC has got to be the worst public transit in all of developed countries!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrejeffry

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/63000--angry-riders-plan-ttc-protest

Angry Riders Plan TTC Protest

Some disgruntled TTC riders are planning to protest the latest proposed fare hike, which would see an adult token jump from $2.75 to $3.00.

The hike could take effect in less than two months and would earn the TTC millions in revenue at the risk of a drop in ridership.

Nicole Winchester is one rider who won't take the news sitting down. She's organizing a day of protest on Friday, urging people to boycott the Red Rocket to show the TTC what effect raising fares would have on ridership. So far thousands of people have joined her Facebook page.

"Find a car pool...ride your bike, that's what i'll be doing, walk, anything you can do," she advised.

According to TTC officials, a fare hike is the best option when it comes to dealing with their financial woes.

"Nobody wants a fare increase, the reality is that the alternative to a fare increase is really massive service cuts," noted TTC Director of Corporate Communications, Brad Ross.

Winchester isn't buying it.

"Either other options haven't been considered or if they have been the TTC hasn't been very transparent about how they've been considered or why they've been rejected," she argues.

The plan to hike fares goes to a vote November 17th and it is expected to pass. If it does, the increase would take effect January 3rd.

The price is expensive, the service is horrible, horrendous. The staff is rude, the ticket collectors look dirty, smelly, very un-professional. And you know what? 1,150 TTC Employees make over $100k per year, and 400 more by overtime. Ticket collectors make more than $100K a year, are you freaking kidding me?!?
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...-ttc-ticket-collectors-earning-over-100k.aspx

this is just one of the samples lazy TTC workers caught watching movie on the job, remember this kinda of TTC workers are making 90-100K a year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DNPk5C_COI

I'm done with TTC. I'm driving to work starting next year

Last edited:
It ain't the best but it's no where near the worst. You really ought to travel more . $3.00? Try riding the Tube through two fare zones or park downtown during a weekday.

These people are the reason why we can't have nice things. You could always move to the suburbs to dodge the fare hike. Oh wait.

Travel to pretty much any US city, other than New York or Chicago, and you will very quickly miss how extensive TTC is.

Travel to a place like London you very quickly miss how cheap the TTC is.

It ain't the best but it's no where near the worst. You really ought to travel more . $3.00? Try riding the Tube through two fare zones or park downtown during a weekday.

don't you tell me to travel boy, been to over 20 countries, worked in 5, lived in 3.

And yes by all comparison, TTC is the worst. you comparing the tube and TTC, are you sane? the tube network is like 10X bigger than TTC, and yet the service is still better

I can relate to the anger and frustration, but I think it hurts your message to call the TTC "horrible, horrendous". The subways are clean, frequent and fast, the buses access every corner of the city (which is vast) for a relatively modest flat fee, the safety record is great, etc.

But yes, we need better and more extensive service, we need to figure out how to make downtown streetcar routes work, and we need a sustainable way of funding these improvements. The TTC alone can't solve these problems, it's also a matter for politicians on all levels of government to work out.

I would add a few more countries visited, worked in and lived in and agree with you totally.

It isn't that the TTC doesn't do a few things well nor that other systems in other lands don't have problems but when you weigh all factors together then the TTC is the worst public transport system for a city of its size in the developed countries and in much of the developing world also. Sad...but, true.

I've had extremely limited experience with the Chicago transit system, but I wasn't at all impressed with it when I was there. It was great for radial routes (from any point in the city to the Loop), but laughably bad if you wanted to move laterally across the city. The directions people invariably gave me were to take the subway to the Loop, transfer, and then go all the way back out to wherever I wanted to go.

Toronto isn't great for crosstown transit (getting better with Transit City tho), but my impression was that we did it better than Chicago. New York, well, that's what people mean about when they talk about network connectivity, but its New York, a totally different kettle of fish.

I'm not sure $3 is a totally unreasonable price to pay for a trip tho. I'd still prefer if we had zoned fares (it's ridiculous that I pay $3 to go from Yonge/College to Yonge/Eglinton, while someone in Malvern could get to Union for the same cost), but even at $6/day for your round-trip commute it still easily beats driving (you'd pay more than $6 just to park your car downtown).

I'm not comparing the tube network to the TTC's. I'm using the Tube as an example of an exorbinant fare system (well, not for short commutes) which is the root of this protest.

No offense to any fellow forum members but, a mass protest would be best served outside a nondescript office building on Wilson Avenue. I'm not saying the city isn't to blame as witnessed with Miller's bonehead ending of the garbage strike but, this province has been at the mercy of these organization for far too long. They will continue to harass us until the general voters start protesting en masse these organized voting associations.

Last edited:
It isn't that the TTC doesn't do a few things well nor that other systems in other lands don't have problems but when you weigh all factors together then the TTC is the worst public transport system for a city of its size in the developed countries and in much of the developing world also. Sad...but, true.

Criticism is fine but this is downright preposterous ... unless, for example, you don't consider the sunbelt or west coast as "developed"

I would add a few more countries visited, worked in and lived in and agree with you totally.

as I expected, people that have traveled, worked, and lived in other countries can testify how ridiculously backward TTC is in comparison to other systems

This exaggerated statement is the biggest exaggerated statement in the history of the UNIVERSE!

It's no laughing matter. I know I wish the TTC was as developed as the transit network in Detroit. Or as cheap as in London. Or as large a subway system as Houston. Or as developed of a light rail network as Cincinnati.

I get the feeling that "worst in developed countries" actually just means "thoroughly worse than Europe or New York City", in which case I would say it is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back