News   Mar 28, 2024
 688     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 467     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 791     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

So I FINALLY got a chance to ride the new streetcar today! A few thoughts:

Perhaps it is cause I didn't get a good view of it from the outside, perhaps I overhyped it in my mind, but it didn't seen that much longer than an articulated bus. I know the very front is blocked off for the driver, perhaps that is why it didn't seem as long as I expected?

I was a little confused with how Presto worked in it. I tapped the reader on the door and it said "Accepted," but didn't display my new balance like most readers do. Also if I tap on the transfer machine, will I get debited a second time cause I was supposed to tap on that instead? I was going from York St to Union, so I didn't need a transfer anyways, but it could have been explained better.

Overall I was impressed with the interior design. The seats were not only pretty comfortable, but there was adequate arm room on the window seats. Something the Rocket trains lack. The bright interior actually reminded me of the Van Hool Viva buses. The car also had pretty good acceleration too.

Finally, I also really like the new access to the platform at Union. Was surprised that I didn't have to go up a flight of stairs and back down to get to the subway. Never realized how close the two platforms were.

Perhaps it is cause I didn't get a good view of it from the outside, perhaps I overhyped it in my mind, but it didn't seen that much longer than an articulated bus. I know the very front is blocked off for the driver, perhaps that is why it didn't seem as long as I expected?[\quote]The length is 30 metres. The articulated buses are 18 metres. They streetcars seem quite long to me ... when I boarded one at Union the other day, I could neither see the front nor the back once I go inside!

I was a little confused with how Presto worked in it. I tapped the reader on the door and it said "Accepted," but didn't display my new balance like most readers do. Also if I tap on the transfer machine, will I get debited a second time cause I was supposed to tap on that instead? I was going from York St to Union, so I didn't need a transfer anyways, but it could have been explained better.
You have to tap on the reader by the door first. Then you tap on the machine inside to get a transfer. It doesn't charge your card (I'm curious what happens if you tap that first ... but using a Metropass most of the time, I haven't had opportunity to check).

Finally, I also really like the new access to the platform at Union. Was surprised that I didn't have to go up a flight of stairs and back down to get to the subway. Never realized how close the two platforms were.
Yes, that makes transfers easier ... makes it much more worthwhile now to jump on the subway just to go to King after you get off the streetcar, if the subway screen display says a train is just arriving.

So we have 4 of the new streetcars running by the sounds of it. :)

A number of pages back, someone mentioned that Bombardier would be ramping up production and expecting to deliver 2 per month. Has that started yet, or do we not start seeing them until April?

So we have 4 of the new streetcars running by the sounds of it. :)

A number of pages back, someone mentioned that Bombardier would be ramping up production and expecting to deliver 2 per month. Has that started yet, or do we not start seeing them until April?

Well, considering one started running at the beginning of March....

Word is that 4406 will be leaving Thunder Bay later this week.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What's source for that? 9 days ago it was going to ship 7 days ago. Then it was going to ship 2 days ago. And now it hasn't shipped yet?

I'd have thought that it would have been somewhere en route ... which presumably someone can confirm by checking the location of the specially modified flat car.

Well, considering one started running at the beginning of March....

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Thanks Dan. Didn't realize it was a new delivery. I had assumed the 4th car to start running in service was actually one of the first two test vehicles being put into production. Though I guess they both get shipped back to Bombardier for fixups before making it onto the route.

Thanks Dan. Didn't realize it was a new delivery. I had assumed the 4th car to start running in service was actually one of the first two test vehicles being put into production. Though I guess they both get shipped back to Bombardier for fixups before making it onto the route.
Read back in the thread, those (like Dan) who seem to know what's happening have said that the 2 test vehicles are being kept for a while longer and used for driver training. As far as I remember the most major thing to be fixed is the ramp. The increased production is supposed to result in more cars coming starting in April.

You have to tap on the reader by the door first. Then you tap on the machine inside to get a transfer. It doesn't charge your card (I'm curious what happens if you tap that first ... but using a Metropass most of the time, I haven't had opportunity to check).

Nothing happens. I tapped on at Union, then tapped on the machine on the car and it spat an error. I'm not sure if this is because the readers at Union don't load a transfer onto the card or not.

As far as I remember the most major thing to be fixed is the ramp.
It's been reported that to do that they need to lower the floor, and are essentially swapping out the entire module.

The increased production is supposed to result in more cars coming starting in April.
Back in January TTC reported that (4405) was going to ship by end of January (I think it was about a week later) to enter service by end of February, one (4406) at the end of February to enter service by end of March. Then in February it was reported that Bombardier would start producing 2 starting in March. I'd hope to see 4407 leave Thunder Bay before end of March and 4408 ship in early April to enter TTC service by end of April.

It does look optimistic. It will be interesting to see if they can really ramp it up to one a week in the fall.

When they start coming, they will start coming fast it sounds like...I wonder if the TTC will be ready with the on-street improvements...do we know where they are with cutouts, overhead and presto installations for the next route? Bathurst?

I am assuming that not much will be done this summer because of pan-am...

When they start coming, they will start coming fast it sounds like...I wonder if the TTC will be ready with the on-street improvements...do we know where they are with cutouts, overhead and presto installations for the next route? Bathurst?
The only Presto installation planned for Bathurst would be at Bathurst station, and that should be done soon. The overhead doesn't need to change; the new cars have run eveywhere just fine. I assume all the Bathurst cutouts have been done ... they've already been doing 501 and 504 cutouts on King and Queen street, and they are much further down the implementation list.

The only Presto installation planned for Bathurst would be at Bathurst station, and that should be done soon. The overhead doesn't need to change; the new cars have run eveywhere just fine. I assume all the Bathurst cutouts have been done ... they've already been doing 501 and 504 cutouts on King and Queen street, and they are much further down the implementation list.

In the original delivery schedule, were we not supposed to be seeing them on Bathurst soon (if not already)? If that is right, it would be very surprising if Bathurst was not ready to go already.

Back