News   Apr 16, 2024
 305     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 669     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.5K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

http://www.ttc.ca/News/2014/April/0417_beach_parade.jsp

The public will have its first chance to board the new streetcar during Doors Open Toronto on Sat. May 24, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the TTC’s Russell Division, 1433 Queen St. E.

This is off topic but that link reminded me of something I always find strange....the way that the TTC describes its group passes....they are so firm on it that there must be a reason but I can't think of it.

Enjoy the holiday weekend with a TTC Family/Group Pass. For $11 a day, a TTC Family/Group pass provides unlimited one day travel for a group of up to six people, maximum two adults and not more than four children/youths 19 years of age or under. The pass is valid from the start of service until 5:30 a.m. the next morning.

up to 6...no more than 2 adults and no more than 4 children.......it seems to me there is only one way within that to make a group of 6! I, kinda, understand why they would not allow a group of 3 and 3 but what is the reason for, say, not allowing 1 adult and 5 youths/kids? Or, since the youth thing goes to 19 y/o, why not 6 of those?

Sorry to interrupt everyone's streetcar fantasies but it is a bit of a strange set of restrictions.

More on topic...during doors open will people boarding get an opportunity to feel it move? Likely not but it would be cool if they had a very limited route that it could take people on a wee spin.

The wide seat is much wider than a regular seat. think of it as a "plus size seat". Its not the regular seat, the skinnier one is the regular one.

I call it the fat seat, but really its the "more personal space seat".

People seriously overweight to the point of requiring it (who also tend to be very uncommon on the streetcar network due to the level of active transportation required for regular use) will likely be too embarrassed to use the seat, and it will also become the most popular on the streetcar due to the increased personal space.

I really am the lucky one here I guess, having actually been in one, and having seen it on the street once as well. I have even taken a quick "test run" of the fat seat haha. They feel a lot like the new TRs on the inside, much airier and spacious than the outgoing models. Low floor is awesome as well, but they have a couple of rows of seats facing each other which may be problematic.

Last edited:
The wide seat is much wider than a regular seat. think of it as a "plus size seat". Its not the regular seat, the skinnier one is the regular one.

I call it the fat seat, but really its the "more personal space seat".

People seriously overweight to the point of requiring it (who also tend to be very uncommon on the streetcar network due to the level of active transportation required for regular use) will likely be too embarrassed to use the seat, and it will also become the most popular on the streetcar due to the increased personal space.

I imagine that they'll be a little bit of awkwardness if a larger individual wanted to use the seat. Giving up the seat is basically equivalent to calling them fat. And I don't think very many people would be comfortable asking for the seat :p

TTC Flexity Outlook Streetcar - Wide and Narrow Seats by Vic Gedris, on Flickr

I call these the "Laurel & Hardy" seats.

The people who walk to pubic transit tend to be more fit. Obese people tend to drive more. Same happens to kids who are chauffeured everywhere by their parents, they tend to get obese. The TTC wouldn't need that many such seats on the new streetcars, if the obese people continue to drive themselves.

The only problem I see is in winter with the heavy winter coats, people would target those seats.

Last edited:
or...one for parent and one for child? presumably there was limited space and this is what would fit there...one full size seat and one smaller one?
What do you mean? The one on the right is a regular size seat, and the one on the left is extra-wide.

Here's a better perspectiv, from the mock-up I think:
20111110streetcar11.jpg

What do you mean? The one on the right is a regular size seat, and the one on the left is extra-wide.

Here's a better perspectiv, from the mock-up I think:

Having never been on one, I was responding to someone who described the big one as a seat for a person and the small one as a seat for a bag. The comment made me think that the big one was regular sized and small one was smaller than regular sized (given the lack of perspective I don't even feel dumb for thinking that)....so I thought if they had to squeeze in a small seat that perhaps they were not thinking "we'll give someone a comfortable place for their bag" rather "a spot for a parent and child".....clearly that was stupid thing to say ;)

The people who walk to pubic transit tend to be more fit. Obese people tend to drive more. Same happens to kids who are chauffeured everywhere by their parents, they tend to get obese.

I dunno, there are a lot of hyper-obese people on public transit, especially in poorer areas. But those people are more likely to be obese because they are poor and marginalized and have diseases like diabetes, and other social determinants of health, than because they drive and have sedentary white collar office jobs.

Back