News   Apr 18, 2024
 456     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Wow, the city spent all that money, don't put lighting, and now people crash and damage their cars, along with the barrier itself, which will now require repair. Good job.

The last time I checked cars have headlights - and I wonder how fast the car is going a) to reduce reaction time enough such that a collision is unavoidable and b) to cause that kind of damage.

AoD

Still, the barrier is painted in bright yellow and there's onus on the motorist to drive with due care. At most, I could see a judge finding the city at 50% fault in this case.

Is it actually something the city did or is it the fault of the contractor?

It may have something to do with lighting....it may also just be it's "weird". I drove by it this morning at around 9:30...daylight, obviously......was travelling north on Bathurst, and it just sort of "jumps out at you" once you get past the line of cars turning right onto Front.

Not sure if it is just a visual thing or if it actually slightly changes the lane alignments....but it is a bit of a weird thing the first time you see it.

I think it's visual. The lane and the platform are pretty much the same width as before, but because the platform is longer, the end of it is where drivers used to do a bit of last-minute lane changing when they decided whether they wanted to go on one side of the platform or the other. If you're not used to it being that far out, you will hit it if it's not lit up.

Wonder what sort of lawsuits will follow.

None.
It's your responsibility as a driver to be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Not picking on you or anything, but as a driver myself I can't stand when drivers blames something else for their lack of attention.

The last time I checked cars have headlights - and I wonder how fast the car is going a) to reduce reaction time enough such that a collision is unavoidable and b) to cause that kind of damage.

AoD

Sure, it is the motorists' fault, but, especially consider the multiple collisions, that doesn't mean the city couldn't have helped out too. That's why the streets are lit for example. Or why the railway crossings have flashing lights and arms. Motorists should be able to see and hear the trains for themselves, but it's probably better to have those lights and arms.

When the construction workers were on site, even in daylight, they sure weren't betting their lives only on drivers' vision. They had huge illuminated signage helping to inform drivers, pylons, a huge truck parked 'upstream' as a barrier, etc.

Last edited:
Those new islands did not appear overnight. They were built over weeks of destruction and construction.

At this time of year, one should be on the lookout for any obstruction, including potholes, windblown debris, or even people wearing dark clothing at night.

None.
It's your responsibility as a driver to be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Not picking on you or anything, but as a driver myself I can't stand when drivers blames something else for their lack of attention.

If the city is "grossly negligent" when people slip on icy sidewalks, then I'd have to imagine that not turning on safety equipment designed for these barricades isn't a small matter that they can escape all blame.

Last edited:
maxresdefault.jpg

Its not just ordinary drivers who don't pay attention.

Its-Even-Funnier-When-A-Cop-Car-Runs-Through-Wet-Cement.jpg

they retake the test 4 times. I passed first try on all 3 tests, most people my age didn't. Some took 2, some took more. I'm of the opinion that if you can't pass after 2 tries, it should become mandatory to take drivers ed, and once that is completed you must wait another year before retrying.

Back