News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

4437 has finally been off loaded today after a week been here and 2 days at Hillcrest.
Actually, 60 streetcars by itself is large. Washington D.C.'s streetcar fleet is six (that's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6).
I saw them before they every went into service a year later.

The TIDE only has a few more cars that Washington. Then Detroit, Cincinnati, Milwaukee and Kanas City have about the same number as Washington.

Boston, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Phoenix have far more cars than other systems , but not close to TTC

TTC has the largest streetcar fleet in NA and if you add the Metrolinx line cars to it, it will even be larger and close to what I stated at a TTC meeting over a decade ago that had eyes rolling. More so once extension get built requiring more cars.

Toronto has the most stops, mileage and routes and that will jump in 2022 and 2023 as well when the QQE extension is built along with Eglington east and west expansions.

Yes but that doesn't mean that they are going to get double ended streetcars and install double crossovers and get rid of the loops.

Hillcrest is going to be rebuilt because they don't have space in the existing Yards for anymore then we already have.
That can be done in phases/route when a new fleet is order around 2045. You can built crossover now, but better start 5 years or so before the new fleet starts to arrive. You take a line out of service to build the stub end or disconnect the loop and connect to to the stub end. You can still use the duel end car on the loop line until it ready to be stub.

By then, the OS will become a thing from the past and be remove in phases until all the new cars are here and the current fleet is retire.

The plan has been all along to rebuilt Hillcrest for 511 and 512 cars as it cuts down on dead heading as well adding more storage area. Anymore cars will require another yard somewhere and TTC needs to look for that land now.

That can be done in phases/route when a new fleet is order around 2045. You can built crossover now, but better start 5 years or so before the new fleet starts to arrive. You take a line out of service to build the stub end or disconnect the loop and connect to to the stub end. You can still use the duel end car on the loop line until it ready to be stub.

By then, the OS will become a thing from the past and be remove in phases until all the new cars are here and the current fleet is retire.

The plan has been all along to rebuilt Hillcrest for 511 and 512 cars as it cuts down on dead heading as well adding more storage area. Anymore cars will require another yard somewhere and TTC needs to look for that land now.

They don't need to use single-story, single-use (storing streetcars) buildings for the carbarns. Being electric, there are no CO₂ nor CO gases being generated by the streetcars. They could build second, third, and more above them. Can see using offices above them as sound barriers and residential above the offices.

They don't need to use single-story, single-use (storing streetcars) buildings for the carbarns. Being electric, there are no CO₂ nor CO gases being generated by the streetcars. They could build second, third, and more above them. Can see using offices above them as sound barriers and residential above the offices.
Having buildings over carhouse and other things has been something I being calling for decades starting with schools.

Take a look at Riverside Square to see a 4 story Toyota car dealership that once took up a large area of space with a single story building. Not the first one in Toronto.

As I noted something ago, there are carhouse that also includes bus garages on different levels with parking below it for employees while in some cases bus garages are being put underground with development overtop of it.

Outside of Hillcrest finding land for another carhouse is very limit and who TTC build over it. There been a plan to build over TTC Davisville yard over 20 years plus and still has happen.

In Europe you will find various types of business at the based of residential buildings to the point some small Walmart stores are at the base of residential buildings in the US

We need to change our thinking that single story business needs to be stand alone as well transit use with development on top.

Hillcrest is not one of those places without razing it 100% and I don't see that happening at all.

It would be nice if the new streetcars had a better interior compared to the current cars. Better lighting, LCD screens. etc. Like the T9 trams in Paris.

1620952281639.png

I'm no where near as confident as you seem to be that the TTC will get rid of lops as most of them are at stations or are being built at locations off streets where they can like the one for the 504 and former 514. I also am not as confident that we will see them remove sections of the overhead wires and swap to battery power for some sections after all it took them 40 years to swap to pantographs

At 50-odd tonnes I image vibration would be an issue for other building occupants, and possibly the seemingly ever-present TTC wheel squeal.. How would they manage the gradient to get to non-ground level spaces? Internal spiral or just a big building?

As for double-end trains, I doubt any loops would have sufficient real estate to accommodate crossovers on property, so they would have to on the public ROW. I don't know how other jurisdictions handle this.

Would greenwood make sense as an additional storage facility? Line 2 is going to need a new MSF in obico anyway, can you split greenwood to be 1/3 TR and 2/3 streetcar?

Would greenwood make sense as an additional storage facility? Line 2 is going to need a new MSF in obico anyway, can you split greenwood to be 1/3 TR and 2/3 streetcar?
I'm pretty sure greenwood can't fit TRs and that's why they need to procure new trains for line 2. Otherwise, I feel this could be a pretty good idea. Just saving some room at greenwood to store some subways but leaving all the maintenance and stuff for obico, while using the rest of greenwood for streetcar storage. The only real barrier I see is getting tracks up to the yard from Gerrard but that should be easy

4426 reenter service on 510 on Wed after arriving April 12 or 37 day.

4435 was out testing yesterday and 4437 is out testing now

Looks like 4440 took 4437 spot on the flat on May

May see 4439 being return next week or the week after that. It will be follow by 4402 the first or 2nd week in June with 4420 a few days later. 4422, 4423 and 4424 will arrive in July..

A few T1 have been store at Keele storage tunnel.

In accordance with Chapter 27, Council Procedures, Mayor Tory has called a special meeting of City Council on Wednesday, May 26, 2021 beginning at 12:30 p.m. by video conference for the following purposes:

1. To consider the tri-governmental transit funding and the purchase of Toronto Transit Commission streetcars, together with related supplementary materials; and

2. To introduce and enact a Confirming Bill for this special meeting.

In accordance with Chapter 27, Council Procedures, Mayor Tory has called a special meeting of City Council on Wednesday, May 26, 2021 beginning at 12:30 p.m. by video conference for the following purposes:

1. To consider the tri-governmental transit funding and the purchase of Toronto Transit Commission streetcars, together with related supplementary materials; and

2. To introduce and enact a Confirming Bill for this special meeting.
Should be rubber-stamped...
tenor.gif

From link. (And the time it takes will be just as long as ⬆️)

Last edited:

Back