News   Apr 22, 2024
 782     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 665     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

The new Sydney CBD and Southeast tram runs without overhead wires along George Street in the core. Though it does have overhead wires outside the CBD. Trams in Sevilla and Bordeaux are wireless, if memory serves me correctly; however, I don’t recall if that’s only in certain sections. On the plus side the TTC has finally managed to figure out the pantograph. So, you know, baby steps.

Cannot speak to the Bordeaux trams, have not been there - but: From my recollection, and unless it has subsequently changed, Sevilla trams are only battery between stations, at least in the downtown area. There are catenary wires at the stations, which provide power to the rapid recharge batteries. The new Sydney CBD trams have pickup shoes under car body, with a segmented centre rail which is energized section by section as the tram passes over.

The new Sydney CBD and Southeast tram runs without overhead wires along George Street in the core. Though it does have overhead wires outside the CBD.
The section without an overhead wire in Sydney uses a third rail system between the rails to draw power fro the streetcars they don't run off f battery power.

4600 is on the 511. Anyone having a 4600 party? Or are waiting for 4603?

I seem to recall discussion in this thread about how to celebrate the end of the order waaaay back near the beginning of deliveries. Don't think I am going to try to track it down. But I will try to ride 4603 as soon as it is put in service (It's now in Toronto, awaiting delivery)

- Paul

I seem to recall discussion in this thread about how to celebrate the end of the order waaaay back near the beginning of deliveries. Don't think I am going to try to track it down. But I will try to ride 4603 as soon as it is put in service (It's now in Toronto, awaiting delivery)

- Paul
I wouldn't be surprised that TTC has a media event for 4603 before it goes into service.

Now its in Toronto, should be off loaded Tuesday Jan 21 and most likely ready for service Feb 2 if it stays to the current time frame from arrival to service.

When 4603 finally makes the scene x number of days into January it will not in fact be x number of days overdue.
IIRC, the schedule actually called for the final car and only that one to arrive November 2019. All the rest including 4602 were due by 10/31/19.
If you scroll back in this thread you'll see the spread sheet. BBD just added two months themselves to move the goalposts.

4406 is moving around a bit at Lesile today. Could go back out tomorrow. 4601 still not tracking.
Been out testing since about 8 pm and currently heading backup to St Clair from Bathurst loop. It being having issues up to now and lets see what the next few tells us.

When 4603 finally makes the scene x number of days into January it will not in fact be x number of days overdue.
IIRC, the schedule actually called for the final car and only that one to arrive November 2019. All the rest including 4602 were due by 10/31/19.
If you scroll back in this thread you'll see the spread sheet. BBD just added two months themselves to move the goalposts.
BBD being moving the goal post from day one and to be technical clear/True, the last car is not 4602 or 4603, but 4401. 4401 ready at least 6 month late as a prototype car under BBD ownership and has never been a TTC car other as a trainer for the trainers and some driver.

Can't say why 4401 wasn't ship the TB in 2017/18, as it was only sitting in the yard and only sent to Quebec May 14, 2018. My quest TB had no bay space and was trying to get the other cars to TTC ASP. It was sent to TB around Sept 2019 from Quebec after welds fix to become a production car. Only after 4401 is off loaded at Hillcrest can the delivery book be close on the original order then or when it goes into service for the contract book. Either way, BBD hasn't meet its last statement that TTC would have "ALL" that 204 by December 31, 2019 and is not late by a few days, but 3 weeks so far and could be months when 4401 shows up. Where does 4401 fit in production line along with 4471 & 4478??

4601 isn't tracking yet and could be on Monday.

Assuming TTC allows the remaining cars to be ship to Quebec, TTC will not see a full fleet until 2023-25 since that plant is making the frames for Edmonton and Metrolinx order now for most this year and maybe 2021.

Unless TTC can get the spare ratio down to under 10% as claim by BBD, TTC is going to be hard press for the next 3-5 years putting more service on 504 and other lines that needs it without increasing headway on most of the other routes or continue to bus them at the expense of bus routes that needs more service yesterday.

2020 is going to be a telling year for BBD as a whole company or not.

Last edited:
Unless TTC can get the spare ratio down to under 10% as claim by BBD, ....

Bombardier has never, ever made such a claim. And it certainly isn't in the TTC's plans at any point to reduce the spares ratio to below their current standard of 15-16%.

Dan

A friend who did a drive by today tells me there are three TTC Flexities sitting outside at the Millhaven plant.

- Paul

4406 is now back at Lesile. Seems to have done a ton of testing in the last few days. I think it will be in service tomorrow.
Nope!!...................It has to be prep for service along with the installing the Presto system and that takes a few days, assuming its has past all it testing at this time that includes the 600 km burn in.
A friend who did a drive by today tells me there are three TTC Flexities sitting outside at the Millhaven plant.
- Paul
Could be cars that have arrived from Quebec or the cars that were sent there from Quebec last year and now ready to be ship to TTC. Could be 4403 shipped February 20, 2019; 4404 shipped October 29, 2018; 4405 shipped April 10, 2019; or 4407 shipped June 07, 2019; or 4408 shipped June 28, 2019.

Nope!!...................It has to be prep for service along with the installing the Presto system and that takes a few days, assuming its has past all it testing at this time that includes the 600 km burn in.

Could be cars that have arrived from Quebec or the cars that were sent there from Quebec last year and now ready to be ship to TTC. Could be 4403 shipped February 20, 2019; 4404 shipped October 29, 2018; 4405 shipped April 10, 2019; or 4407 shipped June 07, 2019; or 4408 shipped June 28, 2019.

It's probably 4403-4405. They've been gone for a long time now and it wouldn't surprise if for the name of ''making it look good'', they will now send them back.

A friend told me the Star had it that the last of the new streetcars are to be delivered to Hillcrest by Wednesday. Is this 4603 or 4401 or both? I figure I’ll go out and watch the proceedings tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited:

Back