News   Mar 28, 2024
 85     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

We have no idea what current TTC-BBD expectations are now given the January settlement - I suspect if the 35K MDBF is now “by car 204” if not abandoned in favour of an achievable number

It may be true that carhouse personnel are overcommitted - I suspect availability of LFLRV service bays may also be an issue - but culling the CLRV fleet means transferring that load to the bus garages. Even when McNicoll becomes available, is bus maintenance headcount sufficient to absorb that load?

One thought I have had is for TTC to tender for someone else to do ALRV/CLRV decommissioning work - just do enough to get the cars transported elsewhere, have remaining salvage done and the scrapper pick up thereafter. Clear out the dead lines, have the Commission staff focused on vehicles that can carry passengers. I certainly don’t want to see PCCs around this summer if they are hampering efforts to keep the service fleet moving.

4542 is now tracking

4544 was off loaded today

4545 Could be off loaded tomorrow

4546 is en route in Northern Ontario.

La Pocatiere also shipped a car that has reached Toronto Yard. Number unknown,

- Paul

4546 is en route in Northern Ontario.

La Pocatiere also shipped a car that has reached Toronto Yard. Number unknown,

- Paul
Could be 4401 since it was the first car ship on May 14, 2018 for rebuilt as a production car. Then it could be 4400 that was shipped September 07, 2018.

The streetcar that shipped from La Pocatiere is indeed the 4401, and it is bound not for Hillcrest but rather Thunder Bay. I spotted it on a westbound CP train this afternoon in Woodbridge. Hope to have a picture available when I get home later.

- Paul

Here we are. Five years old, and has never carried a fare paying customer.

If Toronto ever names these cars, I'm suggesting "Avro Arrow" for this one.

- Paul
20190507 TTC 4401 WB.jpg

There is absolutely no plan to permanently abandon streetcars on Kingston Road.
That's good to hear - but it's pretty clear there won't ne enough streetcars available to run AM peak on all routes for many years - that would be about 180 cars needed if Steve Munro's numbers are anywhere near close and there's no ridership growth.

Given we were previously told that the TTC had agreed to take damages from Bombardier with new cars, and that they'd also be taking up an option for up to 60 more cars shortly, the delay until the mid-2020s. With 20% spares (which presumably will be the case for years with the warranty repairs) there's only 170 cars available at peak.

By the time 505 is deployed, they'll need 169 cars (or greater if there's more unexpected latent demand). So where do the 11 502/503 cars come from for AM peak?

Sigh, even 15 additional cars from Bombardier would have made a difference to this.

Back