News   Mar 28, 2024
 925     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 530     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Why couldn't the refurbished CLRV/ALRV get pantographs?

They could (I believe the prototypes ran off pantos) but I wonder if they could handle the power draw. I know the CLRV that had an AC unit installed drew an insane amount of power leading to the nixing of that particular retrofit.

^it was on the Hamilton Sub, which runs south from Campbellville to Hamilton and on to Welland. That’s the usual route for CP trains to reach Buffalo from Toronto.

The car is going to a BBD shop north of Corning NY.

- Paul

Last year, 4471 was caught in the sewer backup flooding of the King Street West underpass when the heavy downpour took place. The damages were beyond what could be fixed locally, and it was recognized almost immediately that the most appropriate place for the repairs would be the Bombardier USA plant - it has taken this long (approximately eight months) for all the coordination and arrangements to be made - it is finally on its way.

They could (I believe the prototypes ran off pantos) but I wonder if they could handle the power draw. I know the CLRV that had an AC unit installed drew an insane amount of power leading to the nixing of that particular retrofit.

The power draw of the A/C unit had nothing to do with the fact that no other cars got A/C.

Despite the fact that the roof of the CLRV is designed to handle a pantograph, it's only designed to do so in one place - where the pole is currently mounted. The roof forward of that point isn't designed for that kind of weight, so 4041 had to have its roof strengthened to handle it.

As well, they needed to run new power wires from the LVPS and main breaker underneath the car back up through the sides of the car to the roof. It wasn't an impossible task, but it was just another headache that needed to be done to make it work.

Finally, the whole idea of refitting the cars with A/C was paired up with the project to thoroughly rebuild a bunch of cars for another 15 years of service. This would have also included replacing and upgrading the propulsion control systems as well. Alas, this was nixed shortly after the contract for the Flexities was signed. And so no other cars were retrofitted save for the one which was done as a test.

Dan

4539 is now tracking and it at Hillcrest at this time.

4538 still not tracking.

4537, 4536 and 4532 in service bay. 4537 was out testing yesterday.

Last year, 4471 was caught in the sewer backup flooding of the King Street West underpass when the heavy downpour took place. The damages were beyond what could be fixed locally, and it was recognized almost immediately that the most appropriate place for the repairs would be the Bombardier USA plant - it has taken this long (approximately eight months) for all the coordination and arrangements to be made - it is finally on its way.

Well it's certainly going to the New York plant, so there's no debate about that

The power draw of the A/C unit had nothing to do with the fact that no other cars got A/C.

Despite the fact that the roof of the CLRV is designed to handle a pantograph, it's only designed to do so in one place - where the pole is currently mounted. The roof forward of that point isn't designed for that kind of weight, so 4041 had to have its roof strengthened to handle it.

As well, they needed to run new power wires from the LVPS and main breaker underneath the car back up through the sides of the car to the roof. It wasn't an impossible task, but it was just another headache that needed to be done to make it work.

Finally, the whole idea of refitting the cars with A/C was paired up with the project to thoroughly rebuild a bunch of cars for another 15 years of service. This would have also included replacing and upgrading the propulsion control systems as well. Alas, this was nixed shortly after the contract for the Flexities was signed. And so no other cars were retrofitted save for the one which was done as a test.

Dan

I really wonder what would have happened if those 100 were rebuilt. Certainly for one the 100 currently remaining would be apart of that rebuild program for one, and two, a lot of CLRVs wouldn't have turned into Rolling rusters on wheels

4536 has enter service on 510 (kg510) after 12 days being here

4537 was out last night testing as a 301 in service car. Heading toward the Barns now.

4532 was out testing last night for the first time in over a week. It on 506 in the east end now heading toward Main. Been here 21 days so far.

4538 still not tracking

4539 is tracking a day after arrival and still at Hillcrest. Arrived April 10, 2019

Last edited:
By my count, (with 4541 en-route - also assuming 4540 is here or closer) we'll have cars 4536 - 4541 delivered in the first half of April.

Does anyone readily remember what highest monthly deliveries have ever been? We could hit >10 cars delivered in April, has to be close. If they keep up this pace TB will have several months to pick up Kingston cars.

By my count, (with 4541 en-route - also assuming 4540 is here or closer) we'll have cars 4536 - 4541 delivered in the first half of April.

Does anyone readily remember what highest monthly deliveries have ever been? We could hit >10 cars delivered in April, has to be close. If they keep up this pace TB will have several months to pick up Kingston cars.

With this rate of delivery, they might be able to make up for their years of mistakes

4536 has crap out on its 2nd run to Union and left service at 8:43 after entering service at 5:43

Must be a problem with 4539, as it has yet to leave Hillcrest since being off loaded on the 10th. Currently sitting at the north end of the outside track according to Transsee. Even odder, its was tracking on the 11th, yet 4538 has yet to be track after being off loaded on the 8th.

4539 has stale tracking data. And given that some cars show up with locations in the lake, or northern Ontario, unless you have eyes on the car, it's probably not safe to assume it's where the tracking data says it was.

Back