News   Apr 19, 2024
 404     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.3K     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

So most of the old streetcars are being decommissioned this year. I think it would be nice if citizens would be able to get first dibs on them for adaptive reuse, rather than the majority going to the scrap heap.

I think it'd be a good idea to elevate one onto a couple of poles/columns 30ft in the air and have it as a folly in some future park or parkette. You know that weird cow in Markham, like that. We have lots of planned parks where this could be done. It would just become what it is, a decomissioned streetcar hovering in the air. Am serious, I think it's a great idea. The LRV is quintessentially Toronto, people would be taking photos of it forever, it'd be on postcards. Let's get the ball rolling.

Why can't they just keep some of the old ones on the roads until all the new ones are here? Not having any on the 505 is an absolute pathetic joke.
You are dealing with an CEO who loves buses and take streetcars with a grain of salt. At the same time, time and cost trying to keep the old fleet on the road could be put to better use if they aren't around. ALRV are done this year one way or another. Only 12 cars are showing up with 4 of them last seen a month ago, leaving 8 for service if they return in April.

What do you call 511 with no streetcars?

TTC is using about 20% as spare ratio, which mean about 20 cars at this time that will not be in service at any given time, considering it was to be 10% or less for the first 10 years of service. If TTC went to 10% now, they would have another 10 cars for service, but not enough to do either 511 or 505 without using some buses at this time. Can't run streetcars on 505 until all the work is done on it and that is months away.

Even thought its been stated all exist fleet will be off the road by year end, its a work in process that some cars will be around for a year or 2 more, but final discussion will not take place until the fall.

TTC will be ordering some duel end cars when the next order is place when every that is. Expect they will be for Eglinton east and west extension. It been stated, the Leslie Barns will not be able to handle duel end cars which is odd.

As a note, 4573 has been sitting out side the service bay on the service track for the past 30 plus hours after been in side the past week. It currently sitting on the outbound track waiting either to do a test run or waiting for a service bay to open up. Been here 16 days so far.

Both 4528 & 4529 are currently in the service bay.

Last edited:
It been stated, the Leslie Barns will not be able to handle duel end cars which is odd.

Dual ended cars means dual sided doors, and it could be that the shop tracks in Leslie have multiple obstructions down the left side of the current single-ended vehicles because that wasn't a barrier for servicing them. With a dual end fleet, it would be.

You are dealing with an CEO who loves buses and take streetcars with a grain of salt. At the same time, time and cost trying to keep the old fleet on the road could be put to better use if they aren't around. ALRV are done this year one way or another. Only 12 cars are showing up with 4 of them last seen a month ago, leaving 8 for service if they return in April.

TTC is using about 20% as spare ratio, which mean about 20 cars at this time that will not be in service at any given time, considering it was to be 10% or less for the first 10 years of service. If TTC went to 10% now, they would have another 10 cars for service, but not enough to do either 511 or 505 without using some buses at this time. Can't run streetcars on 505 until all the work is done on it and that is months away.

Even thought its been stated all exist fleet will be off the road by year end, its a work in process that some cars will be around for a year or 2 more, but final discussion will not take place until the fall.

TTC will be ordering some duel end cars when the next order is place when every that is. Expect they will be for Eglinton east and west extension. It been stated, the Leslie Barns will not be able to handle duel end cars which is odd.

As a note, 4573 has been sitting out side the service bay on the service track for the past 30 plus hours after been in side the past week. It currently sitting on the outbound track waiting either to do a test run or waiting for a service bay to open up. Been here 16 days so far.

Who even is the new CEO? He's invisible. I miss Andy Byford. At least he frequently made statements and media appearances. He was a dynamic leader who seemed to work very hard to improve the culture at the TTC and regularly made the effort to communicate with the customer base. This new guy has done fuck all.

How will the city go about ordering more streetcars that we desperately need? That's the last thing Thug Ford would pay for.

Lastly, how is it possible that a few hundred million were spent on a brand-new, state of the art maintenance facility but handling dual ended cars was not factored into the design? There are no words to describe such folly.

Who even is the new CEO? He's invisible. I miss Andy Byford. At least he frequently made statements and media appearances. He was a dynamic leader who seemed to work very hard to improve the culture at the TTC and regularly made the effort to communicate with the customer base. This new guy has done fuck all.

How will the city go about ordering more streetcars that we desperately need? That's the last thing Thug Ford would pay for.

Lastly, how is it possible that a few hundred million were spent on a brand-new, state of the art maintenance facility but handling dual ended cars was not factored into the design? There are no words to describe such folly.

The new CEO is pretty hideous, Rick Leary. He really seems to think that as Drum was saying, streetcars are a third class transportation mode

511 should in theory be getting streetcars back in the summer, as it does every year.

I think that you would be very, very suprised to hear how much distrust and even anger still lingers within due to Byford's 5 years at the helm of the TTC.

A lot of the reason why employees are happy with Rick Leery is that he's not Andy Byford.

Dan

I think that you would be very, very suprised to hear how much distrust and even anger still lingers within due to Byford's 5 years at the helm of the TTC.

A lot of the reason why employees are happy with Rick Leery is that he's not Andy Byford.

Dan
This is news to me. Care to provide any brief insight on this?

I recall you mentioning similar a year or so ago. To those on the outside is surprising, considering from a public POV Byford was gold. Would like to hear more as to why employees were unhappy with him, part I think I can get, but still hard to hear because for the public a lot of good changes happened under his leadership.

4530 was off loaded today. This marks the 9th car to be ship this year, as 4521 was already in Toronto at the end of 2018 and it was off loaded Jan 2.

With 4531 & 4532 in route and TTC may see one or both by the end of next week, TTC may see 12 cars from TB this quarter at this rate. Nothing out of Kingston since the shipment of TTC 4573

4573 has finally made its way into the service bay again after sitting out side track 7 doors for over 30 hours and it not even on track 7 in the service bay.

This is news to me. Care to provide any brief insight on this?

While Byford was out apologizing to the public, the sentiment at the ground level was that of being thrown under the proverbial bus. A lot of his "customer service focused" efforts came at the expense of front line employees - they felt like they were getting trampled. And then there was the privatization efforts. Operators were told to look the other eye at fare evasion, as the TTC was not willing to stand up behind them. "Modernizing the TTC" was taken to mean "getting rid of as many heads as possible". And so on.

While there was no doubt that the TTC needed to get dragged into the 21st Century - kicking and screaming, it seems - the manner of which he's gone about it has been a bit reckless and roughshod, at least judging by the feelings of those in the trenches.

Dan

While Byford was out apologizing to the public, the sentiment at the ground level was that of being thrown under the proverbial bus. A lot of his "customer service focused" efforts came at the expense of front line employees - they felt like they were getting trampled. And then there was the privatization efforts. Operators were told to look the other eye at fare evasion, as the TTC was not willing to stand up behind them. "Modernizing the TTC" was taken to mean "getting rid of as many heads as possible". And so on.

While there was no doubt that the TTC needed to get dragged into the 21st Century - kicking and screaming, it seems - the manner of which he's gone about it has been a bit reckless and roughshod, at least judging by the feelings of those in the trenches.

Dan
Very interesting, appreciate the insight there.

Although I will admit, I hold very litle sympathy for many of the front-line workers who felt like they were getting "thrown under the bus". They were getting away with a lot of non-sense for years before his arrival, so of course they would feel like they were getting thrown under the bus the minute someone tried to correct some of the behavior. The rest I cant really speak to.

Back