News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

4529 was off loaded today.

Looks like 4573 is about to leave the yard for a night of testing.

I agree that would be ideal, but isn't a Dundas West station and loop reconstruction many years/decades away? Was there ever anything beyond that Metrolinx (?) concept done? K/Q/Q/R is already scheduled for next year, so I see zero chance that they would be done together.
Yes, and there is also the problem that getting special trackwork built (it is built by a US company) has a long waiting list and takes several years. (In fact the Board are approving, I assume, a new contract at their meeting today and the info on agenda says "The current contract expires December 31, 2019. However, due to the long lead times required to fabricate special trackwork castings, the first year of the contract for this requirement is typically used to cover the design and fabrication of patterns and assemblies. As a result, an order must be placed in early 2019 to allow for the replacement of special trackwork to be completed in 2020, to ensure continued safe and reliable operation. " As @brainfreezed says, even if TTC had all the specs prepared it is already too late to get any new 2020 projects onto the schedule.

That gets increasingly complicated

Delivered - 4400, 4402-4526, 4528, 4572-73 - 129 cars
Built to less than full spec, not yet delivered as a "complete" car - 4401 - 1 car
Shipped, en route - 4527, 4529

So, 132 in existence, but.....

4 cars off site for rewelding
1 car off site for repairs (flood damage)
1 car off site for final fit-out

- Paul

They STILL havent upgraded 4401?

Jeesh.

They STILL havent upgraded 4401?

Jeesh.
It still hasn't return from Quebec where its being not only rebuilt as a production car, but fixing the welds issues. The other prototype cars took about a year to be rebuilt.and this one was ship May 18, 2018. May see it in June or July or when, when TTC gets it back. Still has to do full testing once here like all new cars. All cars going to Quebec or NY will under go standard testing for all new cars once they return.

Which ones are out for rewelding now? I had assumed they were going to go out more-or-less sequentially, but I still see 4402 out on the road.

Which ones are out for rewelding now? I had assumed they were going to go out more-or-less sequentially, but I still see 4402 out on the road.
As to when CP pickup the cars and hand them off to CN is a different story with no dates. Same goes for CN picking up the cars as well delivering to BBD plant. Supposed to be 2 week trip each way.

4400 Loaded September 07, 2018, 4401 Loaded June 17, 2018, 4403 Loaded February 20, 2019, 4404 Loaded October 29, 2018.

I saw 4572 on Queen, they must have really sped up delivery.
Nope. It was off loaded December 17, 2018 and enter service January 11, 2019. It was to show up in Oct along with another car. 4473 off loaded February 19, 2019 and could see service this week.

4529 Just left the yard on its first test as a 501 and is tracking

BBD has averaged 7 days per delivery thus far this year. For them to meet target they need to average about 7 deliveries per month. So they are about 5 behind already.

Rest of the year they need to deliver a car every 4 days (including weekends and holidays). There are not even on pace with TB deliveries last year, which averaged 5/month.

BBD has averaged 7 days per delivery thus far this year. For them to meet target they need to average about 7 deliveries per month. So they are about 5 behind already.

Rest of the year they need to deliver a car every 4 days (including weekends and holidays). There are not even on pace with TB deliveries last year, which averaged 5/month.

By "delivery", could mean they don't have enough flatcars for the Flexity Outlooks available up to today? Could the "delivery" pickup if they had more flatcars?

FWIW BBD managed to deliver 10 units in the month of December 2018. In the first 63 days of 2019 they have delivered 9. Not sure if flatcar availability is really the issue....

^In the last couple of months, Bombardier has in fact obtained more flat cars, mostly because more delivered cars are going more places.... the rewelding program, Kingston coming on line as a TTC car builder, and the shipment of one car to the US have all resulted in need for more transporters. But the real story just now is just how congested CP is, due to winter conditions.
CP pretty much stopped returning transporter cars to Thunder Bay after unloading in Toronto. Its yards and mainline operations are in free fall. It may in fact be more expedient to set up and supply new transporters in Thunder Bay than to attempt to return the old ones directly from Hillcrest. The transporter that took the flood-damaged car to NY just turned up at Thunder Bay, possibly getting there via Chicago.
Same with deliveries. TTC 4527 is still out there someplace, having come down from Thunder Bay around Valentines' Day. 4403 left Hillcrest around the 20th, and only reached Montreal yesterday.
Things have improved a little in the past few days, but it's a cold snowy jungle out there. Let's hope for an early spring so operations get moving again.

- Paul

Back