News   Apr 16, 2024
 74     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

4524 is sitting on track 19 in the yard and ready to enter service on Sunday

My daughters never sit there unless their friends are across. Too many man spreading apparently.

Over 50% of the public. Think about that for a while...some of those women are tough...

A few annoying guys - great sample size you got there for 50% of the population, not to mention it's nothing more than a toxic term dreamed up by a tiny group of extremist campus activists.

Over at Hillcrest, the service track which TTC's spur runs off is full of freight cars. They are mostly loads of some sort of aggregate or clay, I don't know where they are headed but they have been there for long enough that the wheels are beginning to show rust.

Botttom line - until CP moves these loads, TTC won't be getting any deliveries, because the TTC spur is blocked
With train tracks going essentially right past the Leslie barns, can’t they transport the new streetcars to Leslie St?

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/maps-of-torontos-old-rail-lines.25310/

Last edited:
They could, in theory, but that would require every car would be interchanged to CN, a more circuitous routing, a longer trip, and higher charges. And the cost of building a new ramp.

- Paul
I wonder if they considered the Leslie tracks at the beginning of the project? It seems a good way to get the cars directly to the intended barn. Maybe CN doesn’t go to Thunder Bay?

Things sure get interesting. This morning, I went looking for new cars. I found both 4526 and 4573 are sitting in CP's Lambton Yard.

Over at Hillcrest, the service track which TTC's spur runs off is full of freight cars. They are mostly loads of some sort of aggregate or clay, I don't know where they are headed but they have been there for long enough that the wheels are beginning to show rust.

Botttom line - until CP moves these loads, TTC won't be getting any deliveries, because the TTC spur is blocked.

- Paul

They've been there since Wednesday or Thursday ... I think they finally moved it this morning / overnight last night.

I wonder if they considered the Leslie tracks at the beginning of the project? It seems a good way to get the cars directly to the intended barn. Maybe CN doesn’t go to Thunder Bay?
remember Leslie didn't open until three years after the first prototype arrived...

A few annoying guys - great sample size you got there for 50% of the population, not to mention it's nothing more than a toxic term dreamed up by a tiny group of extremist campus activists.
I trust you caught my subtlety?
Over 50% of the public. Think about that for a while...some of those women are tough...
Men are only 49% of the population. In the event, it's not just the equipment we have between the legs, it's the hip geometry, and the fact that the TTC uses seats that are optimized for miniature people. Even as a senior (albeit in great shape) when it's crowded, I'm much more comfortable standing than having to squeeze in between people with massive hips and shoulders.

Who in hell were those seats designed for? Pixies? (And even pixies with winter wear on couldn't fit in the space allotted). It's time for a return to bench seating *without defined seating sections* like is being done again on a number of systems, or if defined seating space, of a size that matches actual need.

Last edited:
@steveintoronto Indeed, the new streetcars have cramped seats, a poor internal layout and narrow aisle. I just can't get on board a packed LFLRV with terms originating in toxic campus culture which I have seen up close from the inside over the past few years. I confess irony and sarcasm can be difficult to detect online.

@steveintoronto Indeed, the new streetcars have cramped seats, a poor internal layout and narrow aisle. I just can't get on board a packed LFLRV with terms originating in toxic campus culture which I have seen up close from the inside over the past few years. I confess irony and sarcasm can be difficult to detect online.

The Flexity seat layout is definitely bad, especially how they think people will want to face each other. Unfortunately, that was the final design and WE HAVE to live with it.

They do but only westward since they abandoned their Kinghorn sub. The loads would have to be backhauled to Winnipeg.

All manufactures use the same double seat layout over the wheels that I have been on. Between the wheels, it various and more to do with the buyer,..

When will the Flexity Outlooks only be delivered with the pantographs? No trolley? Will that mean we'll have to wait till the 501/301 QUEEN route itself goes with pantographs? Or beyond?

I assume so, don't forget that the 501/301 QUEEN route is very long, and it isn't as easy as other routes to rewire the OCS,

Back