News   Mar 28, 2024
 62     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 544     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 352     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Yes of course. And we remember that BBD got the contract to build Caesar's war chariots. (Plus a million Denari bailout). Last chariot still out for rework but latest schedule indcates will be done before Saturnalia is over.

And a Happy Saturnalia to you. See you all at the gladiatorial games on glacies sometime. ?

BBD emptying their TB lines might suit them but it might not suit TTC who may struggle to find enough service bays for them but will likely see a drop off in deliveries in January. Hopefully Millhaven will deliver a few more to keep things ticking over in those early weeks of 2019.

4518-4519 arrived Toronto Yard this morning. I guess delivery will depend when CP runs its local trains over the holiday, and whether TTC will have staff working to unload them.

No word on 4520-21.

- Paul

Reactions: max
4518-4519 arrived Toronto Yard this morning. I guess delivery will depend when CP runs its local trains over the holiday, and whether TTC will have staff working to unload them.

No word on 4520-21.

- Paul

There are times where I wish there was a giant robotic arm that would pluck the streetcar from the flatbed and plop it on the tracks. This is one of those times.

No word on 4520-21.

- Paul

The elfs are busy, so maybe 4520/21 might not be coming right away ?

The elfs are busy, so maybe 4520/21 might not be coming right away ?

LOL.

The train that CP generally uses to bring the cars down, No 420, leaves Thunder Bay late at night, runs through Northern Ontario by daylight, and is in Toronto around breakfast the following morning. It runs pretty much to a schedule ("Precision railroading"!) so once the car is out of Thunder Bay, it's fairly easy to predict when it will arrive. The variables are how often CP runs its local switcher in Thunder Bay to collect the cars, and get them across town to where 420 is built. The time elapsed from Bombardier releasing, to the cars leaving the Bay, can be several days. And then, when the cars reach Toronto, it's not consistent how often CP runs its local to deliver them, and then, whether TTC has people available to unload them.

- Paul

No word on 4520-21.

- Paul
They will be off loaded 27, 28 or 31 if CP delivery them to Hillcrest like past years. One of 4520=21 could be off loaded 31 if the other two are done this week. Assuming 3 cars are off loaded in the next 7 days, TTC short 2 cars for this year schedule, with Kingston still behind schedule, with only on car delivery so far.

4516 was out testing yesterday and in the shop now. May enter service Christmas Day now.

4517 GPS thats been all over the place the last few days is now showing the car in the service bay, compare it wasn't a few hours ago.

4572 still not showing up yet.

Considering the rewiring project extends beyond the final delivery date, I expect many of the additional 60, if ordered, will have trolley poles delivered with them.

A pole strapped to the roof isn't much of a maintenance burden.

I don't know. Are trolley poles a maintenance burden? Anyone here think they can answer that ?

LOL.

The train that CP generally uses to bring the cars down, No 420, leaves Thunder Bay late at night, runs through Northern Ontario by daylight, and is in Toronto around breakfast the following morning. It runs pretty much to a schedule ("Precision railroading"!) so once the car is out of Thunder Bay, it's fairly easy to predict when it will arrive. The variables are how often CP runs its local switcher in Thunder Bay to collect the cars, and get them across town to where 420 is built. The time elapsed from Bombardier releasing to the cars leaving the Bay can be several days. And then, when the cars reach Toronto, it's not consistent how often CP runs its local to deliver them, and then, whether TTC has people available to unload them.

- Paul

Let's not hlame the elfs then...

They will be off loaded 27, 28 or 31 if CP delivery them to Hillcrest like past years. One of 4520=21 could be off loaded 31 if the other two are done this week. Assuming 3 cars are off loaded in the next 7 days, TTC short 2 cars for this year schedule, with Kingston still behind schedule, with only on car delivery so far.

4516 was out testing yesterday and in the shop now. May enter service Christmas Day now.

4517 GPS thats been all over the place the last few days is now showing the car in the service bay, compare it wasn't a few hours ago.

I saw 4516 and 4517 at Queen and University yesterday, testing, around 11 AM/12 noon, not long after each other.

Obviously number of cars built/shipped/received is important. But based on numerous posts I have read here, I was under the impression the TTC was using (64 for FY 2018) vehicles in service as their metric. We won't have that number for a week-anything else is speculation.

Last edited:
Obviously number of cars built/shipped/received is important. But based on numerous posts I have read here, I was under the impression the TTC was using (64 for FY 2018) vehicles in service as their metric. We won't have that number for a week-anything else is speculation.

Absolutely correct. Apart from enjoying our own factchecking of whatever PR Bombardier and TTC come out, all this obsessive tracking is just its own spectator sport. You can read the score in the paper the next day, but it's fun to listen for the 'clunk' when the puck bounces off the goalpost and misses the net by a hair.

- Paul

Back