News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

So, was 4504 in service on 501 or just testing ? Back at Leslie now !
4504 was out testing today as an in service car and usually the last step before going into service. It will be in service come Tuesday, as it out in the yard now.

4506 is about to leave the yard again, since it already has been out once today.

Based on standard tender and contract policies, BBD has blown themselves out of the water and should be ban from the next 2 bid process. They only have themselves to be blame for not being allow to bid on the next order for Line 1, since the TR's will be move that line and a new 7 car train for Line 1.

There is a big different between wanting revenge and don't complying with the contract and spec's. Again, what should happen and what could happen, depends on Ford since he has Ontario open for business. QP has call the shots where TTC is to buy their equipment and giving away good money.

4504 Has enter service on 510 after 27 days being here.

4506 still out testing on 509

4507 is tracking and out testing at Long Branch loop.

4506 is out testing and by the looks of things, it fail it first round of testing.

4508 has yet to have its GPS activated.

Which would be a shame considering Toronto Rockets are some of the most reliable metro cars in the world.

I'll be disappointed if we ban Bombardier from a Line 2 fleet renewal bid as it would be pretty clear evidence of wanting revenge rather than wanting reliable vehicles at a decent price.

Line 2 wont see new trains for 15 years at least, so its not a pressing concern, and they will most likely get the current TR's that are on Line 1, with Line 1 getting new longer trains that fit the entire platform (possible only with ATC)

CN has been notoriously late in picking up shipments from Millhaven. Some LRVs destined for Waterloo have sat for as long as 2 weeks after loading waiting for CN to pick them up.

Pickup isn't speedy at Thunder Bay either, but that's not surprising either. There is paperwork that Bombardier has to do as shipper, and then more paperwork that the railway has to do as the cars are considered dimensional (ie oversize) loads. The Millhaven cars will be interchanged so both CP and CN will have to do paperwork, and coordinate a little more than they might for a boxcar of peaches. They may get the kinks out after a few cars are shipped.

One of the transporters in the Toronto-Thunder Bay cycle appears to have been freed up and handed over to CN. I'm guessing that it may be on its way to Millhaven. I don't know whether the two transporters that were delivering KW cars are now free and clear from that duty yet.

- Paul

Reactions: rbt
Pickup isn't speedy at Thunder Bay either, but that's not surprising either. There is paperwork that Bombardier has to do as shipper, and then more paperwork that the railway has to do as the cars are considered dimensional (ie oversize) loads. The Millhaven cars will be interchanged so both CP and CN will have to do paperwork, and coordinate a little more than they might for a boxcar of peaches. They may get the kinks out after a few cars are shipped.

One of the transporters in the Toronto-Thunder Bay cycle appears to have been freed up and handed over to CN. I'm guessing that it may be on its way to Millhaven. I don't know whether the two transporters that were delivering KW cars are now free and clear from that duty yet.

- Paul
Not freed up until December or January. The Edmonton cars are even more over-sized as they have to sit on a steel structure that is longer than the flatcar.

4506 is in service on 504A after been here 11 days

4507 in the service bay and was out testing yesterday

4508 not tracking yet

Edit: that should be 504B

4509 off loaded today.

Last edited:
So, Bombardier is cutting 5,000 jobs, most in Quebec. I don't think this will slow down the Flexity order any further, but, thankfully Rick Leary says there is a back-up plan for if the whole Flexity order does not get delivered, but it should all get delivered.

So, Bombardier is cutting 5,000 jobs, most in Quebec. I don't think this will slow down the Flexity order any further, but, thankfully Rick Leary says there is a back-up plan for if the whole Flexity order does not get delivered, but it should all get delivered.

It seems to be mostly related to their aerospace division.

Backup Plan = Buses on 505, 506 and 511, with remaining CLRV backing up the LRV until new cars show up around 2024 from another supplier. May see some ALRV's, but only in the warm weather.

So far, BBD is meeting this year schedule, but Dec 28 will be the day if the schedule has been met period.

4507 is at Long Branch Loop now. May see it in service around Nov 13 if no issues surface. Been here 8 days so far.

4508 should be tracking anytime and do its first day of testing. Been here 4 days already. May see it in service Nov 17.

50 cars on TTC property so far for this year schedule.

It seems to be mostly related to their aerospace division

Backup Plan = Buses on 505, 506 and 511, with remaining CLRV backing up the LRV until new cars show up around 2024 from another supplier. May see some ALRV's, but only in the warm weather.

So far, BBD is meeting this year schedule, but Dec 28 will be the day if the schedule has been met period.

4507 is at Long Branch Loop now. May see it in service around Nov 13 if no issues surface. Been here 8 days so far.

4508 should be tracking anytime and do its first day of testing. Been here 4 days already. May see it in service Nov 17.

50 cars on TTC property so far for this year schedule.

Well, then I guess I was wrong, but, we have up to 4508 in Toronto ( 4400,4401, 4404 in Quebec for welding, 4507 and 4508 not in service yet, and scheduled maintenance), but, I have a feeling that the whole fleet might be delivered by next year, with the way Bombardier has ramped up deliveries

Well, then I guess I was wrong, but, we have up to 4508 in Toronto ( 4400,4401, 4404 in Quebec for welding, 4507 and 4508 not in service yet, and scheduled maintenance), but, I have a feeling that the whole fleet might be delivered by next year, with the way Bombardier has ramped up deliveries
Nope, 4509 is the last one to be off loaded and it was today.

I have gone by delivery to TTC property as schedule, while others going by in service like TTC CEO. Problem with in service is the length of time to get the car into service. It can be between 11-30 days these days, depending on what issues surface during testing.

TTC will have 10-20% of the fleet not in service once they do enter service and class as spares to cover a wide range of things that may go wrong while in service. Since there are now 106 cars in service, TTC has 11-21 spare cars and this allows TTC to have 4400 and 4404 in Quebec as well 2 flood damage cars to be out of service for 6-12 months.

4401 is not at TTC car, but a BBD car. When 4401 does come back, it will be a TTC car and only after it pass the standard testing like all other cars.

TTC will have another 2-4 spare cars by year end to allow more cars to be ship to Quebec for welding issues.

BBD has only 36 working days to have the other 15 cars on TTC property, but it will be less for CP to delivery those cars. You have holidays coming up during the work week. Work days are M-F only.

4510 is due next week. Never know when 4470 will show up.

Back