News   Mar 28, 2024
 296     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 332     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 690     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

And the old streetcars will probably be on the roads until 2022, to make up for those 3 streetcars missing at any given time for their 19 week refits.

Well!!! That was fast. 4494 westbound on Queen St at Shaw St in testing stage. Fastest in a long long time.

4489 is in its standard location outside of Toronto and been in a few different spots as well.

4493 still in the service bay, but was out for testing yesterday

And the old streetcars will probably be on the roads until 2022, to make up for those 3 streetcars missing at any given time for their 19 week refits.
That's a pretty minor issue compared to the streetcar shortage. And it's more than 3 at once.

They only ordered 204 cars, based on 2005 projections on requirements. Streetcar ridership has increased about 40% or so since then.

Look at the latest TTC streetcar estimated streetcar fleet requirements. At the end of 2020 they require 206 cars in service during rush hour - not including spares. They are using a spare rate of between 17% and 19% in their calcuations. That's at least 240 new streetcars.

As they have yet to order more than 204 new streetcars, they'll be pressing old streetcars into service in significant numbers for years - presumably until they fall apart.

The report (and June 2018 presentation) also shows by 2023, they'll need more than 264 new streetcars in service (about 268, growing to 289 by 2026). However, even the most optimistic plan there, doesn't see car 265 arrive until April 2024 with a more pessimistic car 205 arriving in April 2024 or later.

Given how these things tend to slip, it's not hard to imagine them needing 204 Flexities and 100 CLRVs running in 2026 ... which in reality means a lot of buses ...

4494 testing at Bathurst station, used the loop to head back up northbound on Bathurst, presumably to test on the hill?

Attachments

• IMG_20180823_171834.jpg
    IMG_20180823_171834.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 276
Looks like 4493 could enter into service on Friday, as its in the yard on track track 4 near the front west end. If it enter service Friday, 20 days after arrival, compare to 19 days for 4492 & 91

4494 about to leave the yard for more testing. It maybe in service before 4489 on or about Sept 4.

4489 GPS stills has the car elsewhere, than the service bay after 44 days. Still has to do more testing.

4493 In service after 20 days on Route 504 Heading to Dundas West Station

4489 waiting for a service bay on the west end yard track

4494 was out last night and in the service bay

I noticed that too the other day. I wonder what happened.
I hope enough Flexities come online and are delivered before the Ex is over so that they don't have to remove them at all.

It could be a technical issue, I don't know, the 509 has used pantos with no problem, but the 510 is having issues with it, did it happen on Queens Quay or on Spadina though?? Also, the 511 IS being converted to buses in the first week of September because of work at Bathurst Station. The streetcar loop will be shared between 511 shuttle buses and 7 Bathurst buses, so 7 buses will be backed up during this work...

It could be a technical issue, I don't know, the 509 has used pantos with no problem, but the 510 is having issues with it, did it happen on Queens Quay or on Spadina though?? Also, the 511 IS being converted to buses in the first week of September because of work at Bathurst Station. The streetcar loop will be shared between 511 shuttle buses and 7 Bathurst buses, so 7 buses will be backed up during this work...
Happened northbound at King. All cars I saw afterwards were also on pole.

Happened northbound at King. All cars I saw afterwards were also on pole.

This afternoon, we crossed Spadina on our way to and from St. Lawrence Market (approximately 4:15 PM and 5:45 PM), the cars were using their pantographs on Spadina. We can see Spadina at the intersection with Front Street and as it crosses the rail lines from our place. All evening the cars on Spadina, both north and southbound, have been using their pantographs. It is getting dark now, so that level of detail is no longer visible from our place, so no further updates on this issue tonight.

4495 is tracking now, but out for testing on the Queensway after being here 4 days. That's is the fastest this year if I remember correctly.

4494 heading that way as well.

Back