News   Apr 19, 2024
 85     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 743     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.2K     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

15 or 20 wrecked streetcars is likely quite a bit cheaper than constructing improved drainage for the locations that flooded. I'd rather place an order for 50 more cars, expecting to lose half over 20 years, than pay the equivalent amount in street drainage improvements.

Improved drainage for the subway line though will definitely be cheaper than building additional lines.
That doesn't take in account of other economical values. Streetcars aren't the only thing affected by this, the amount of emergency calls, people's lives at risk, cleanup, flooded basements, insurance going up, disease spread around to wildlife that would after humans, etc. 15 more streetcars ain't going to revive you if you unfortunately drowned in this mess.

Edit: Nor will it fix this problem. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...onto-harbour-water-monitoring-group-says.html

Last edited:
4492 is out testing on King St W, 7 days after arrival

4493 is now tracking

4491 in service bay

4489 out in lake Ontario/service bay

That doesn't take in account of other economical values. Streetcars aren't the only thing affected by this, the amount of emergency calls, people's lives at risk, cleanup, flooded basements, insurance going up, disease spread around to wildlife that would after humans, etc. 15 more streetcars ain't going to revive you if you unfortunately drowned in this mess.

Edit: Nor will it fix this problem. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...onto-harbour-water-monitoring-group-says.html

Fixing the specific issues which flooded TTC streetcars will not resolve 95% of your list either; it will prevent flooding of those specific locations for a few hundred million (I'm envisioning a fairly sizable sewer rework or large catch basins rather than a switch which closes the storm drain moving the problem upstream).

Fixing everything to comfortably handle 70mm of water over a couple hours probably requires a Tokyo type solution which would cost around $10B to build today.

I'm on board with that idea but Ontario finances (particularly with planned tax reductions) are such that you may now be looking at deferring DRL (South+North) in order to build the flood protection. Also, I can assure you that the some voters expecting their tax reductions would prefer to see Torontonians die rather than pay more in tax. These are the same people that shut-down their own small town hospitals 20 years ago rather than pay more in tax to keep them open.

Last edited:
Not that scarce - there's what, 90 of them or so on the roads now?
89 less the lost 2 this week compare to the supposedly 160. Now thats is scarce along with the problem car 4489.

Looks like 4492 about ready to leave the yard for more testing.

Anyone see 4494 yet?

Maybe all those gps results showing new streetcars out in the middle of the lake are not false readings......maybe they do deep water testing in the lake to prepare for nights like last night?

tramwaybethunehumour.jpg

tram-house-boat-on-the-desna-river-ukraine-photo-sergei-rzhevsky--72372.jpg

Also, I can assure you that the some voters expecting their tax reductions would prefer to see Torontonians die rather than pay more in tax. These are the same people that shut-down their own small town hospitals 20 years ago rather than pay more in tax to keep them open.

I have clipped the above comment from a previous post. So once again Mike Harris' fault? Or the voters of small town Ontario, that may not wish to fund Toronto's sewer system on top of major contributions to the TTC?

And as far as funding hospitals goes I thought that is why Mr McGuinty set up the health care levy in the early 2000's.

By the time the Special Weather Statement was issued a swath of 4 to 5 inches of rain had already fallen and the storm was drifting south. Part of the problem is that Environment Canada completely dropped the ball (and is worth prolly another thread as you would not believe how many times that happens), they also should issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning & Rainfall Warning but for some reason neglected to do so.

While you may or may not be correct, meteorology being as much an art as a predictive science, how would that knowledge have changed anything?

I have clipped the above comment from a previous post. So once again Mike Harris' fault? Or the voters of small town Ontario, that may not wish to fund Toronto's sewer system on top of major contributions to the TTC?

Voters who elected our current majority government (and scared the crap out of Wynne 5 years ago) primarily on a tax-reduction policy. Neither the province or the city have finances at current tax rates (let alone future revenue projections) to take on anything significant that isn't absolutely essential.

It's not exactly small town either. Toronto (by urban size; not using the randomly drawn divisions for managing it) controls roughly half the card; it's effectively impossible to win a majority government without taking a large chunk of seats in Toronto.

Re Harris: He's isn't at fault for anything as he followed directions the public set forth. A non-trivial chunk of the GTA handed him a majority government indicating approval of his first term actions and desire to continue in that direction. Blaming Harris is blaming the messenger.

And as far as funding hospitals goes I thought that is why Mr McGuinty set up the health care levy in the early 2000's.

Yes it is why he did that and it didn't make him any friends outside of urban areas. In the 14 years since very very few seats flipped from Conservative to Liberal after that action.

* Liberals did win more seats in 2007 than 2003 but that was largely because additional seats were added in already Liberal areas (urban).

Last edited:
Looks like we will see 4491 enter service on Sat, as its now on track 2 in the yard.

4492 testing on Spadina.

4489/93 out in Lake Ontario.

Speaking of accessibility, I took a 509 last weekend and saw a person in a wheelchair unable to board because a CLRV arrived.

Back