News   Apr 16, 2024
 93     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

4478 is tracking

I maybe wrong, but where 4475 is sitting in the yard now, could be finally ready for service, considering it was out all day and still at 3:30 am today when I went to bed. It was in the service bay at 11 am when I got a chance to look at it.

4475 just left the Barns as an in service 512 after 28 days

4478 left the Barns just after 12 am for testing on 510 and the fastest a car that has seen testing this year. Could we see the return to 8-10 from arrival to in service again??

4477 & 4479 not tracking yet. 4478 return to the Barns a few hours ago.

A rough ride on a late 509 even holding onto something.

There is always someone to find fault. And since Chris Hume is a professional critic, he is good at it. Much of this commentary has nothing to do with the vehicles themselves.

I'm not even sure if some of his complaints are even accurate. Like this, for example:

But it’s not all the drivers’ fault: the doors — all six of them — close so slowly, every stop becomes an exercise in anger management for frustrated passengers late for work. The doors take longer to open and close than those of the new subway cars underground.​

I'm not even sure if some of his complaints are even accurate. Like this, for example:

But it’s not all the drivers’ fault: the doors — all six of them — close so slowly, every stop becomes an exercise in anger management for frustrated passengers late for work. The doors take longer to open and close than those of the new subway cars underground.​
Seems like a lot of first world problems and adjusting to the norms of the rest of the world...

Sorry Chris, but the days of the old school clrv are over

^ I’m not sure the cars are inherently slow, as I have certainly seen them move along when traffic permits.

But I certainly have experienced frustratingly slow moving Flexities, especially on Spadina.

I wonder if there are subtle differences that encourage drivers to creep...... for instance, at island stops where two CLRV’s will fit, a following CLRV won’t hesitate to pull right up behind the first. But if a Flexity is in the same space, the second vehicle may just creep or coast, because there is no point in arriving until the first car departs. Overall route velocity may be the same, but the passenger experience is that the car is moving slower. Just a theory.

- Paul

Seems like a lot of first world problems and adjusting to the norms of the rest of the world...

Sorry Chris, but the days of the old school clrv are over

Indeed. This reads a lot like "Old Man Yells at Cloud".

Doors aren't that much closer than CLRVs* BUT people are entering/exiting much faster (no stairs). The door time is a higher ratio (thus perceived as much longer) because the other component (people walking) got so much shorter.

* Physical open/close time is longer but the delay to starting the close mechanism seems about the same.

From my point of view, the LRV are faster than the current fleet when drivers drive the cars correctly, as well stopping.

I find that the cars that arrived this year offer a rougher ride than the rest for some reason. Having fix wheels doesn't help.

Doors are still a major issues and some caused by riders themselves. Ridership numbers per car will not be meet as claim.

Seen too many fare machines not working.

Fare evasion is higher and not surprise at the numbers, since you see next to no enforcement on the lines most of the times. Spadina is the worse line for evasion from my point of view. Saw 3 at Union on Sunday with a line up snaking onto the platform to catch a car that I decided not use the line and travel some where else. People gave up waiting and plan on walking to the waterfront after talking to staff.

4479 is tracking, but not 4477. 4478 has been out every day at all hours since Friday and could/should be near the end of its test runs. Its currently in the yard on track 7/8??.

If we use the old standard for in service, 4478 could enter service Friday based on what I am seeing at this time. Uselessly it takes 24-48 hours to ready a car for service after final testing is completed and past. Adding the Presto and fare machines take place at this time.

^ I’m not sure the cars are inherently slow, as I have certainly seen them move along when traffic permits.

But I certainly have experienced frustratingly slow moving Flexities, especially on Spadina.

I wonder if there are subtle differences that encourage drivers to creep...... for instance, at island stops where two CLRV’s will fit, a following CLRV won’t hesitate to pull right up behind the first. But if a Flexity is in the same space, the second vehicle may just creep or coast, because there is no point in arriving until the first car departs. Overall route velocity may be the same, but the passenger experience is that the car is moving slower. Just a theory.

- Paul
The reasons why cars move slow on Spadina are:
1. A lot of run-time
2. A lot of track switches (operators must stop at each facing switch to ensure that it is set for the intended direction of travel)
3. A lot of traffic signals
4. Busy route
The cars can actually move quite fast in the right conditions. However, when you combine all of the factors above, it can be difficult to get them up to full speed. The schedules on the 510 give the cars a lot of time to get from end to end, so that's why the operators don't fly. On the contrary, if you go up to the 512, the schedule is a bit tighter and the speed limit is higher. There are also way less switches to stop at so the cars move quicker.

The 510 seems to have gain significant ridership in the reason years. Even CLRVs can't keep up with the demand and would be slowed anyways. The 510 as well as many streetcar routes really needs gap cars to relief unbalanced demands and delays.

4477 & 4479 not tracking yet. 4478 return to the Barns a few hours ago.

There's a new shipment that left Thunder Bay overnight. Depending on how far it gets before CP shuts down for its strike, someone may be able to spot it and get the car number. That will tell us if there are any previous cars out there still waiting for delivery.

A rough ride on a late 509 even holding onto something.

Count your blessings. The same ride at Canada's Wonderland would cost a lot more ;-)

- Paul

Back