News   Apr 25, 2024
 155     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 333     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 530     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Sounds like the first production line is running fine, but the second production line isn't coming up to speed fast enough. Though is it just a parts problem?

I can't help feeling a Python moment coming on

"What's the airborne Flexity carrying capacity of an AN-124?"
"Outlook or Freedom ?"
"......I don't know.........Aaaaaaaaa........"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

- Paul

Also, TTC looking for "flexibility" from Bombardier on when to exercise the 60 car option (which was due to fall in November). Presumably this will be the price of tolerating whatever this latest delay is.
Given BBD is 2 years late already when the option should kick in, its in no position to stop TTC delaying the option now or having them going elsewhere for them. You add all the delays and other problems, BBD is up the shit creek without a paddle.

This dog and pony show is playing out like it was expected last year with BBD not meeting 2017 schedule which is not looking good now.

BBD claims they will meet the 2019 deadline, but what happens to that deadline if they fail to meet the failure rate come car 65 let alone 60?? At what point does TTC say enough is enough if failure rates are not being meet as per the contracted, let alone delivery??

Since TTC is retaining a good chuck of the existing fleet until 2025 and can back off retiring cars for the time being, TTC can take a hit of 2-3 year wait for someone else to start suppling the remaining 140 plus the extra cars.

There are 5 bidders in waiting and sure a few would like to bypass a few bid procedures to get the orders sooner so they can start delivery sooner. One needs to talk to a few of these suppliers how they can help TTC and you would learn a few things.

Was that one cab or a number of them?? Very expensive for one.

Next cost is to ship it by a lowboy trailer to Thunder Bay. I guess the Thunder Bay airport can't handle this plane??

I don't know the answers to either of these questions.

Thunder Bay Airport Runway is only 7,318 ft long and the AN-124 needs 8,400 ft

Isn't the closest airport to Thunder Bay Winnipeg? Not Toronto? I can understand if this Antonov is shipping Flexity Freedom cabs to Kingston why it would land in Toronto. But if it has Outlook cabs landing in Winnipeg would halve the shipping time from the airport to BBD plant in Thunder Bay.

Isn't the closest airport to Thunder Bay Winnipeg? Not Toronto? I can understand if this Antonov is shipping Flexity Freedom cabs to Kingston why it would land in Toronto. But if it has Outlook cabs landing in Winnipeg would halve the shipping time from the airport to BBD plant in Thunder Bay.
Does it off set the cost to flying the plane there in the first place and does it have the fuel to do so??

Road trip.
cfZpW5F.jpg

How much of a screw up is it if you miss the boat and have to hire a massive plane to get your parts delivered on time...love to be in that meeting...
It's not necessarily about whether the parts missed the boat or not. having to wait over a week for shipments by boat vs 3-4 days or so via plane can sometimes be the difference between missing a deadline or not.

Back