News   Apr 18, 2024
 612     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Once the Flexities are on 511 and 512 route fully, do you think the TTC should extend the 511 along Bathurst to St.Clair?

I believe in the past the reason for not doing so was that with the steep grades, during rain etc the ALRVs could get stuck, and thats what was run on the 511.

With the Flexities I believe that is no longer an issue.

I think that would be an idea well worth exploring.. I live on St Clair West and I would frequently take a Flexity eastbound then transfer southbound if it existed. Would probably be a quicker route for many people in that area to get to DT west than the subway and then westbound on Dundas/Queen/College

I think that would be an idea well worth exploring.. I live on St Clair West and I would frequently take a Flexity eastbound then transfer southbound if it existed. Would probably be a quicker route for many people in that area to get to DT west than the subway and then westbound on Dundas/Queen/College
I think the TTC would do it if it didn't interfere with Bathurst streetcars entering and exiting the station also the entrance from the north is at the mid point of the platform at Bathurst and the Flexs actually cover over the sitch well they are in the platform to load unlike when a CLRV or ALRV is there it is forward of it.

From yesterday. 4437 waiting at Hillcrest.

IMG_5414.JPG
IMG_5411.JPG
IMG_5410.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5414.JPG
    IMG_5414.JPG
    493.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_5411.JPG
    IMG_5411.JPG
    735.7 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_5410.JPG
    IMG_5410.JPG
    654.7 KB · Views: 298
And to continue the good news, via Xtrasteve on CPTDB, 4436 is currently in service on the 510.

29/36 Flexities visible in Transsee at present.

So they delivered their 3rd in May with 2 days to spare .....phew.

Whether it is the right schedule or not....they finally seem to have found a series of promises/commitments that they can meet....and that may take a bit of the sting/emotions out of things.

So they delivered their 3rd in May with 2 days to spare .....phew.

I suppose.

I kinda considered that bonus LRV at the very end of April to be their first May delivery and consider this to be their 1st June delivery with 1 more expected during June.

Basically, they're about 1 week ahead of the last submitted schedule.

Ragging on them about being tight in May without mentioning they delivered 2x the required target in April isn't helpful. At best (if TTC complained) it would result in BBD holding completely finished vehicles in a random yard until the target delivery time-frame is reached to prevent early delivery.

Last edited:

Interesting idea for sure. Terminate it at St Clair West station I'm assuming?

I suppose.

I kinda considered that bonus LRV at the very end of April to be their first May delivery and consider this to be their 1st June delivery with 1 more expected during June.

Basically, they're about 1 week ahead of the last submitted schedule.

Ragging on them about being tight in May without mentioning they delivered 2x the required target in April isn't helpful. At best (if TTC complained) it would result in BBD holding completely finished vehicles in a random yard until the target delivery time-frame is reached to prevent early delivery.
BUT 4435, 4436 and 4437 are May cars.

We need to see 4438 and 4439 both delivered in June. 4440, 4441 and 4442 in July. 4443 and 4444 in August. 4445, 4446, 4447 and 4448 in September.

The schedule from now on only is alternating 2 and then 3 cars every month. The first car from the 2nd assembly line arrives in September. Then it heads into 3 or 4 a month per assembly line.

At best (if TTC complained) it would result in BBD holding completely finished vehicles in a random yard until the target delivery time-frame is reached to prevent early delivery.

Except that would be completely insane. It would cost Bombardier money to do that, and with a lot of these kinds of contracts payments are made based on milestones - such as deliveries.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Interesting idea for sure. Terminate it at St Clair West station I'm assuming?
Whether terminated at SCW in normal ops or not, once 512 is a Flexity route I would have to wonder what justification there would be not to operate from Gunns Loop down Bathurst on any occasion where the 512 route from StCW eastward is bustituted, other than TTC's normal "we can pretend we have enough streetcars if we keep bustituting on a rotating basis" thing.

Whether terminated at SCW in normal ops or not, once 512 is a Flexity route I would have to wonder what justification there would be not to operate from Gunns Loop down Bathurst on any occasion where the 512 route from StCW eastward is bustituted, other than TTC's normal "we can pretend we have enough streetcars if we keep substituting on a rotating basis" thing.
There's another problem with running streetcar service on bathurst on a regular basis from Bathurst station to St. Clair and that's the arrangements of the switches on St. Clair the Northbound one heads into St Clair West where as the southern one comes off of a side street a little further west, but is only approachable from the west. Because of the arrangements streetcars would have to run from Bathurst North to St, Clair West loop around and head west and the proceed to the next loop west before heading back south gain.

Last edited:
There's another problem with running streetcar service on bathurst on arelur basis from Bathurst station to St. Clair and that's the arrangements of the switches on sat. Clair the Northbound one heads into st clair west wher as the southern one come off of side street a little further west.
ever since i started reading your posts....I have gotten a lot better at deciphering those personalized license plates on cars....thanks! ;)

Fixed it, sorry spellcheck for some reason mised some stuff
no, really it is amazing how fast now I look at the combination of letters "arelur" and read "a regular" and how I instantly know that "sat Clair" is not a woman named Claire who goes out on Saturdays! You have trained my brain ;)

Back