News   Apr 23, 2024
 71     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 832     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 286     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

any idea when these will come to 502 street car?

They don't have enough streetcars. In fact, they are not using old, old streetcars, but "retiring" them.

From link.

ttc-4196-russell-dead-line-20161013.jpg

TTC CLRV 4196 sits in the "Dead Line" at Russell Carhouse on October 13, 2016, alongside 4080, 4248, 4143, 4060 and 4138. Out of sight is 4012. Photo by Bill Robb.

any idea when these will come to 502 street car?

If bombardier manages their schedule, I believe the TTC plans to deploy them on 502/503 in 2019. More likely, they will be there in 2020-21. It will, I think, be the last route, or one of them (I recall 502/503, 512, and 506 being the last ones).

They don't have enough streetcars. In fact, they are not using old, old streetcars, but "retiring" them.

Those aren't simply retired, they are stripped for parts. Not surprising considering how worn out the fleet is.

I wonder what the threshold is for retirement - likely a $ value for repair, or failure of a particular component(s).

- Paul

Those aren't simply retired, they are stripped for parts. Not surprising considering how worn out the fleet is.

I wonder what the threshold is for retirement - likely a $ value for repair, or failure of a particular component(s).

- Paul

I would guess it come down to how much of the body work can be repaired. I know the first two retired were involved in crashes. One with a TTC Bus. And yes they would most likely strip all usable parts from them before retiring them for scrap, much the same way steam engines were many years ago.

Considering they couldn't get anyone to buy the design when they were new I don't think there is much of a market for almost 40 year old streetcars with 1980's tecnnology

Considering they couldn't get anyone to buy the design when they were new I don't think there is much of a market for almost 40 year old streetcars with 1980's tecnnology
More important, they aren't accessibility, unless you use a high platform for them.

Like most made in Ontario Design for transit, this is one of those failure to be sold to the world. There are too many cars in the market to get either new or been retire than buy these cars were parts have to be custom built.

4000-4004 are almost 40 years old with the rest being a few year younger and only worth scrap value.

With 1/7 of the fleet scrap, parts from those cars will keep the rest of the on the road until they retire.

By 2035 or sooner, most places will have new accessibility cars on the road in place on the non ones as well cars older more than 40 years.

How so I read somewhere they tried to sell them to Boston and even sent a couple of ALRVs down there for them to test and they said no and went with Boeing.
50 sold to Santa Clara, which were later resold to UTA and Sacramento. The 21 Sacramento LRVs were stored but were given to Siemens to refurb in 2015 and are now in service.

Back