News   Sep 28, 2021
 83     0 
News   Sep 27, 2021
 2.6K     3 
News   Sep 27, 2021
 1.9K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A lot of bunching is caused by drivers for TTC who don't give a rat ass and want to be Sunday drivers. Seen too many cases where supervisors and other drivers have bitch to these Sunday drivers who gives them the fingers.

Traffic lights don't help ROW service to the point, it slows service down.

Even if the lead X vehicle does only drop off, there will still be bunching one way or another.

The opposite for traffic priority will happen with Doug Ford now in charge at Queens Park. Watch for requests NOT to improve transit priority at traffic signals from Doug. From link:

Doug Ford complains that it takes him over an hour to drive from his house in Etobicoke to Queen’s Park. “That’s unacceptable,” he says.
Doug taking public transit? If it's not a photo op, forget it.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
After being here 29 days, 4488 has enter service on 512. It left the yard at 5:42 am.

4492 at Hillcrest to be off loaded with 4493 maybe tomorrow if on the same train.

Last edited:

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
saw 4481 on Bathurst this morning....been a while since I saw one of the new vehicles on Bathurst.
I just found out they are operating Flexity on 511 7 days a week since July 24 and will end in Sept when buses replace the streetcars then. Was taken back on Monday when I saw 3 of then that day, considering they only ran on the weekends in the past.

I think 4481 was on the route on Monday.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
4491 was up on St Clair doing it first day of testing after 12 days and dealing with a damage pole in transit. It southbound on Bathurst St at Dundas St. NOTE: Heading to 509 for testing as it now on the Bathurst Bridge

Mean while, 4489 has yet to its first day of testing after being here 25 days so far. Been in and out of various service bays with a GPS having it all over the place outside of TTC system. Has spent days all over the yard and current on the track at the east end of the service bays.

No idea whats up with 4490, as its been on the service track in the yard for most of the week after being in the service bay a number of days after it last testing. At the rate it was going, expecting to be in service this week. It been here 17 days.

Both 4492 & 93 aren't tracking yet. 4492 off loaded Aug 2 and 4493 on Aug 03.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
4491 was up on St Clair doing it first day of testing after 12 days and dealing with a damage pole in transit. It southbound on Bathurst St at Dundas St. NOTE: Heading to 509 for testing as it now on the Bathurst Bridge

Mean while, 4489 has yet to its first day of testing after being here 25 days so far. Been in and out of various service bays with a GPS having it all over the place outside of TTC system. Has spent days all over the yard and current on the track at the east end of the service bays.

No idea whats up with 4490, as its been on the service track in the yard for most of the week after being in the service bay a number of days after it last testing. At the rate it was going, expecting to be in service this week. It been here 17 days.

Both 4492 & 93 aren't tracking yet. 4492 off loaded Aug 2 and 4493 on Aug 03.

I wonder how the fires are affecting the delivery schedules?

Along that same line is it possible they are doing some preliminary work here relating to the defective weld situation while Northern Ontario burns?

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Those last 2 cars delivery this week maybe the last for this month, depending if BBD has a crew working on a car or 2 while the plant is on a 2 week holiday. Not sure if this is the start of the 2 weeks, or when it starts.

I'm sure BBD will be off the hock if CP stops moving trains due to the fire. The only other way to get cars here is the long way by using the US route and add a lot more time in shipping time as well cost.

Does anyone have an idea when cars will be ship La Pocatière, QC and what number the first batch will be? If more than 2 being ship at a time, will have to catch a spot to shoot those X cars on an Montreal train.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Those last 2 cars delivery this week maybe the last for this month, depending if BBD has a crew working on a car or 2 while the plant is on a 2 week holiday. Not sure if this is the start of the 2 weeks, or when it starts.

I'm sure BBD will be off the hock if CP stops moving trains due to the fire. The only other way to get cars here is the long way by using the US route and add a lot more time in shipping time as well cost.

Does anyone have an idea when cars will be ship La Pocatière, QC and what number the first batch will be? If more than 2 being ship at a time, will have to catch a spot to shoot those X cars on an Montreal train.

There’s another car waiting to ship at the Bay. The fires seem to have been held just short of the rail lines and didn’t really impact rail operations - yet.

I have forgotten just how many cars La Pocatiere will produce, but assuming it’s in the order of 40-50 cars, we are roughly 2/3 through production at Thunder Bay..... not that anyone ever had expectations that it would last this long.

- Paul

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
There’s another car waiting to ship at the Bay. The fires seem to have been held just short of the rail lines and didn’t really impact rail operations - yet.

I have forgotten just how many cars La Pocatiere will produce, but assuming it’s in the order of 40-50 cars, we are roughly 2/3 through production at Thunder Bay..... not that anyone ever had expectations that it would last this long.

- Paul
I thought La Pocatiere was only doing the repairs on the first 67 cars only??

Its been stated Kingston was to have a line up and running by later fall or this now been moved La Pocatiere because of the repairs???

By the end of Q3, TTC will have 102 cars here, including 4500. Q4 is to see 22 cars, leaving 80 cars to be delivery in 2019. With 4494 to be here in the next week or so, leaves 8 more cars to meet Q3 schedule.

Based on what being seen on 4489 to date, not a finish car and being finish here or it has some serious issues since its hasn't done any testing so far.

With TTC staff taking holidays now and more cars in the fleet to maintain, going to take a well before new arrivals are ready for testing and in service. Then, the fleet is seeing more maintains than it supposed to and doesn't help getting new cars into service sooner than later. Just looked at the tracker and 4491 out testing with 4490 and 89 in the same spot 24 hours ago.

AHK

Member Bio
Reaction score
There are still obvious problems with controlled deceleration / braking. Last night, one of the newest cars, I think it was 4487, was on King Street West, eastbound approaching Spadina, with a green light, no traffic ahead of it. The operator applied the breaks to slow down in advance of the switches. I do not know what happened - whether the operator over-reacted, or there was a glitch in the car, but the wheels locked with a screeching sound on the rails, and the car rocked from side-to-side. The operator quickly released the brakes, and then did a controlled slow down in advance of the switches, before proceeding through the Spadina intersection.

Training? Operator error? Equipment malfunction? Some combination of the afore mentioned?

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought La Pocatiere was only doing the repairs on the first 67 cars only??

Its been stated Kingston was to have a line up and running by later fall or this now been moved La Pocatiere because of the repairs???

Good catch. I honestly can't remember which is assembling cars for TTC, I do recall with certaintly that LaP is making some components instead of Mexico.

- Paul

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Good catch. I honestly can't remember which is assembling cars for TTC, I do recall with certaintly that LaP is making some components instead of Mexico.

- Paul
I stand to be corrected, but all framing other than the cab section are being built at LaP.

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
There are still obvious problems with controlled deceleration / braking. Last night, one of the newest cars, I think it was 4487, was on King Street West, eastbound approaching Spadina, with a green light, no traffic ahead of it. The operator applied the breaks to slow down in advance of the switches. I do not know what happened - whether the operator over-reacted, or there was a glitch in the car, but the wheels locked with a screeching sound on the rails, and the car rocked from side-to-side. The operator quickly released the brakes, and then did a controlled slow down in advance of the switches, before proceeding through the Spadina intersection.

Training? Operator error? Equipment malfunction? Some combination of the afore mentioned?
OK! This is the first reference I can recollect about the brakes, which are horrendously bad on many of the Flexities, to the point that if you're not hanging on tight, both hands, and even at 5kph w/ brakes applied, they lock. *Grabby* is the classic terminology we used in driving business. Whether this is mechanical or software, I have no idea, but in a simple hydraulic coupling, the adjustment would be termed "modulating the braking"...and in some sophisticated hydraulic systems, there's actually a device called "the modulator" albeit its function is also to evenly distribute stopping force to a number of brakes simultaneously.
http://www.g-locbrakes.com/faqwd/what-is-brake-modulation-2/

My thinking all this time was "It was never like this on the European models" which have superbly measured and controlled braking.

Something's up....