News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

From a variety of sources, all verbal - one or two arrived Toronto Yard yesterday morning, and two arrived there this morning. So that could mean as many as four cars on hand in Toronto for delivery. Kinda like when the ketchup bottle finally delivers.

- Paul

From a variety of sources, all verbal - one or two arrived Toronto Yard yesterday morning, and two arrived there this morning. So that could mean as many as four cars on hand in Toronto for delivery. Kinda like when the ketchup bottle finally delivers.

- Paul
just in time for a long weekend so nothing gets unloaded for three days?

I was going to drop by Hillcrest today to see if anything new had arrived, but was way behind in time to do it. Not sure if it is true, but I understand 4401 is still waiting to be pickup and may have got a photo of if I had stop by. BBD may have cars ready, but CP could take their time to pick it up and then delivery to TTC to the point putting BBD in hot water.

For some odd reason, a 509 was using the pole in place of the pan leaving Union. It wasn't short turning.

Not sure if it was my eyes or where I was looking at 510 at Queen, but saw no stagger between the hangers north of the stop.

4476 is tracking and has been for a few days.

If 4 cars show up in CP yard at the same time, TTC may have to off load 2 cars a day, but would be good news having more than one car showing up every X days like the past.

Will we see 4475 in service before Monday, since it has already been here 24 days???

Photos of panto action on the 510 from today at lunch. It seems as if poles go down and pantos go up at Spadina station, as I saw one (forget number) enter the station with a pole, and emerge with a panto.

JmERo9A.jpg

6UhHKkI.jpg

WWE83Oe.jpg

aLbPxMM.jpg

SDuiA79.jpg
Yay. No more dewiring at complex intersections.

This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer here... do the pantos allow for faster acceleration of flexies? Someone said there is a limitation on the amount of power that can be drawn through the poles which caused them to limit the draw of the A/C system... surely A/C draw is OOM less than what those cars pull for accelerating up a hill.

This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer here... do the pantos allow for faster acceleration of flexies? Someone said there is a limitation on the amount of power that can be drawn through the poles which caused them to limit the draw of the A/C system... surely A/C draw is OOM less than what those cars pull for accelerating up a hill.
It has been asked and answered many times! The pantos can draw more power and the Flexities should have more due to size, a/c etc and they cause less wear on the wire and panto as the wire is staggered. They also do not dewire.

It has been asked and answered many times! The pantos can draw more power and the Flexities should have more due to size, a/c etc and they cause less wear on the wire and panto as the wire is staggered. They also do not dewire.

The pantographs can draw more power in theory, yes. That also requires larger contact wire however, and that hasn't happened here yet. So for the time being, there is no power advantage to running pantographs.

As for less wear on the wire, well, no, they don't. The wear pattern is simply different than with a shoe.

And while pantographs don't dewire, they do have other things happen to them instead, like getting snagged and broken. And a pantograph is several times more expensive than a trolley pole to replace. It remains to be seen how often that will happen here in Toronto, but on a large system such as Melbourne's they are replacing one or two pantographs per week.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

And while pantographs don't dewire, they do have other things happen to them instead, like getting snagged and broken. And a pantograph is several times more expensive than a trolley pole to replace. It remains to be seen how often that will happen here in Toronto, but on a large system such as Melbourne's they are replacing one or two pantographs per week.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

us UTrs are obsessed with progress for the city's transit. pantos represent progress and Toronto finally reaching the world standard for electric rail
standards. Its been a long time coming.

But is it progress for progress' sake? Or is it actual progress?

Putting pantographs on each car isn't going to put more cars on the road. It's not going to lower the repair and maintenance budget by any appreciable amount for a very long time, if at all.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back