News   Oct 26, 2021
 861     3 
News   Oct 20, 2021
 116     0 
News   Oct 19, 2021
 767     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

pstogios

Member Bio
Reaction score
You seem to get all testy whenever a discussion is not strictly on topic. Why don't you become a moderator?

Considering that a number of posters here (including yourself) are quick to blame Bombardier for every problem related to our old streetcars, I think Munro's point is indeed relevant to the discussion.

I didn’t know one could become a moderator. That’s a good idea.

And something is slightly off with you that you took the effort to quote so many of my messages. I typically enjoy your messages but what you just did was super creepy.

Finally, about the point of my message. As Munro said, the ALRV rebuilds were supposed to last through this period of time and the failure by the TTC to do so is a topic of conversation not related to the Bombardier fiasco. So this conversation should occcur in another thread.

salsa

Member Bio
Reaction score
I didn’t know one could become a moderator. That’s a good idea.

And something is slightly off with you that you took the effort to quote so many of my messages. I typically enjoy your messages but what you just did was super creepy.

Finally, about the point of my message. As Munro said, the ALRV rebuilds were supposed to last through this period of time and the failure by the TTC to do so is a topic of conversation not related to the Bombardier fiasco. So this conversation should occcur in another thread.

I apologize for going a little too far with my reply. Anyway, here's a tweet that is definitely not off topic :).

Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 2.04.54 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 2.04.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 2.04.54 AM.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 271

Maltesefalcon

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is my first post so I am backtracking a bit on some issues a week or two ago. One of the reasons that was given for failing to ship the 63rd car by 12/31 was a shortage of parts. Anyone know what those parts would be?
If its a windshield or something small like that, fair enough. If its a major component like a frame or body, would the "supplier" not be Bombardier itself, albeit a different location?

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
I apologize for going a little too far with my reply. Anyway, here's a tweet that is definitely not off topic :).

Yet we have the extremely long construction timeframe for Queensway rebuild. Bombardier's not responsible for 501 buses in that regard.

Now back off topic, and something been wondering about for awhile: Has anyone ever stolen a streetcar and taken it for a joyride of sorts? So many streetcars, so many lines, so many decades of service. And isn't it dirt easy to just hop in the driver's seat and push the pedal to make it go? Brought this up with someone, and kinda surprised if this hasn't happened at least once.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Yet we have the extremely long construction timeframe for Queensway rebuild. Bombardier's not responsible for 501 buses in that regard.

Now back off topic, and something been wondering about for awhile: Has anyone ever stolen a streetcar and taken it for a joyride of sorts? So many streetcars, so many lines, so many decades of service. And isn't it dirt easy to just hop in the driver's seat and push the pedal to make it go? Brought this up with someone, and kinda surprised if this hasn't happened at least once.
I had a looked at the Queensway in Dec and all the rails are in place with concrete pour for them. Overhead support still missing for much of it as well the overhead. Never got a look at the loop at all.

The section from the loop to Park Lawn should be finish in Feb, subject to the weather, not the plan Dec date.

Looks like 39 ALRV's still exist, but not sure on 6 of them since they are black dots. All of them are in the yards.

To go Joy riding, one must know how to open and close doors as well the controls. Best you would see is only going a few blocks due to traffic unless done late at night on straight track. Google show no illegal use of streetcars I could see, but doesn't mean it hasn't happen years ago. TTC buses have gone on a joy ride.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
Bombardier has not built a good product since the T1s.

You think the TTC would have learned from the door issues and levelling on the TR trains.

Seriously? It's still a couple decades too early to be pining for the T1's isn't it?

TRs have been some of the most reliable cars at any time in the history of any metro in North America; including a wide margin over T1's at a similar age. As you say, improvements can still be made, but the short-term lesson learned is to order more TRs with minor design changes.

Last edited:

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
And isn't it dirt easy to just hop in the driver's seat and push the pedal to make it go? Brought this up with someone, and kinda surprised if this hasn't happened at least once.

It's way more difficult than simply "hopping in the seat and off you go". I woudn't recommend trying it, but if you were to do so you wouldn't get very far.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Maltesefalcon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Bombardier has made an effort to downplay their ineptitude. Most of their discussion centres on the total shipped, not the yearly quotas. If we do a comparison of the total cars shipped, they are currently short 11 out of the 70 that should have been on hand on Dec 31/2017. That’s a 15.7% shortfall.

But if we look at the year instead, they are short 11 out of 40. That’s 27.5%.

The outlook for the future is unclear for one other reason. The ridiculous production schedule called for 18 deliveries in the first three quarters, then 22 in the final quarter. To make it worse, Bombardier couldn’t even get the 18 out in time. They only shipped 16, due to a shortfall in July.

The final quarter was supposed to be the beginning of the ramp-up stage. However instead of delivering the 22 as planned in that quarter, there were only 13. That’s a shortfall of 40%, when they are supposed to be turning the corner for the future!

Let’s talk about that future schedule. There have been several revamps in the waning months of 2017. Some changes make you go hmm though. The tally was altered several times, but in the waning days of November/December the “schedule” was altered for months that had already passed by. (June, Sept, October, November) This became laughable in mid-December when the schedule still reflected a downgrade from 8 to 7 units for November, when only three were shipped.

Let’s see what happens in 2018. If Bombardier can really get 17 units delivered in the first quarter, I will be convinced they have turned themselves around.

pstogios

Member Bio
Reaction score
Bombardier has made an effort to downplay their ineptitude.

Let’s see what happens in 2018. If Bombardier can really get 17 units delivered in the first quarter, I will be convinced they have turned themselves around.

Thanks for the nice summary.

Given the track record just described, does anyone really believe that Snake Oil Co. can turn things around?

Maltesefalcon

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think they are psychologically preparing the TTC for an extension into 2020. They have added an extra month (November) to the 2019 run. Yet they only would be building 1 car in tbat month. I find it hard to believe they can't find a bit of slack in the remaining 22 months of the contract to slip in 1 extra car.

Oh did I say extra? They have not re-scheduled the cars 60,61, 62 or 63 which were supposed to be 2017. If that is now going to be the ones for Jan/18 then there will be more added at the end.

And no I really don't think they can build 6 cars a month right now. I think they could possibly build and ship one per week. Not 76 as scheduled, but certainly an improvement.

duper

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think they are psychologically preparing the TTC for an extension into 2020.

I believe their contract stipulates 2019 for full delivery. While they have not met their delivery schedule, they are holding firm on the 2019 deadline (for what it's worth. While 2018 is a very tight delivery schedule, 2019 is not so tight. I can see the bulk of the deliveries being pushed into 2019.

As for the number per week, they had increased their pace of production from 1 per month to 1 per week at their best. I believe their target is 3 per week. We shall see. I would hope that the supply chain issues (which are getting better) should continue to improve the longer they are producing them.

duper

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sure wish there was something positive to talk about on this thread. I hope to see more pictures of deliveries the next time I pop by. [fingerscrossed]