News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.3K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 557     0 

TTC: Fare changes

JDH

Member Bio
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the TTC tokens? Yes they provide a reduced fare, but why? Have the tokens outlived their usefulness? Should the Metropass be the only means of obtaining a reduced fare? Why can't all fares be purchased from automated vending machines in all stations?

I purpose the following:

1. Increase adult Metropass to $110.00.
2. Suspend reduced fares for tokens and tickets.
2. Increase adult cash fare and token to $3.00.
3. Increase student/senior cash fare and tickets to $2.00.
4. Increase child cash fare and tickets to $1.00.
5. Suspend Metropass Discount Plan, rename Metropass Delivery Plan and charge full Metropass fare with home delivery.
6. Fare purchase using credit, debit or cash from automated vending machines in all subway stations, dispensing a transfer as proof of purchase for a single fare (the transfer dispensers in subways stations are already proven)
7. All fares are rounded up to the nearest full dollar amount.

What are your thoughts?

why do you want to increase everything ???

adult fare should be $2
student fare should $1
adult metro pass should be $60
adult yearly metro pass $600 if paid in full amount
student metro pass should $40
seniors and kids should ride for free

forget about wasting time with tokens , your token would be a loonie or toonie , no need for vending machines etc.....

we should decrease the salaries of all the over paid TTC workers
both blue collar and management

Last edited:
why do you want to increase everything ???

adult fare should be $2
student fare should $1
adult metro pass should be $60
adult yearly metro pass $600 if paid in full amount
student metro pass should $40
seniors and kids should ride for free

forget about wasting time with tokens , your token would be a loonie or toonie , no need for vending machines etc.....

we should decrease the salaries of all the over paid TTC workers
both blue collar and management
I like this as a long term goal, but decreasing the fare by 75 cents isn't really possible right now. First, we need to make the system actually break even (without raising fares.) Cutting staff and giving realistic paychecks is a good start, and increasing automation and efficiency is another good start. As the system grows, there'll just be a lot more riders for the TTC to attract, meaning increased revenue from fares and easier, more efficient ways to serve people. At the point we start breaking even or even making a surplus, we could cut the fares. But I think that fare zones should be created, especially in the case of a Metrolinx takeover. In that case, perhaps more local trips could be $2, the next zone $2.50, next zone $3, maybe next-next zone $4 and so on.

That would do well to encourage more local trips, like taking the bus to the supermarket, but you'd really only start paying more for something like a trip from Sheppard to Union. I'd make sure the zones have a leeway (like if you're going 1 km outside your zone then you don't have to pay the extra.) I'd also make sure the zones reflect travel patterns, instead of the totally centralized fare systems you see in places like Montreal, and the cost would come from travel between zones at a flat fee, probably with special fees for RT like Go and the subway, but based on the same value system ($2 for 1 zone, $2.50 for 2, $3 for 3, $4 for 4, $5 for 5, $7 for 6, etc.)

increase the fare to $3 and have it on a 2 hour time limit, so if your trip is just to the grocery store and back, you're not paying $6 just to buy some potatoes...

Back