News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 451     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is the Cherry Street streetcar line going to connect to King under the Eastern Avenue Bridge?

^its not like anyone would use it..

I guess no one lives in those condos down there or go to the Distillery to work or enjoy it.

Then it would be a short walk to the waterfront.

If we really believe "no one will use it"...we need to ask the question...."why did we build it". ;)

For the 8,000+ people moving in shortly after the games are finished when the village units are sold off as condos.

No one will use it before the games as there are few residents. Many will use it after the games as there will be many residents.

Last edited:
the waterfront below cherry isn't exactly a "waterfront" today..

also you run into issues with having the extra streetcars to provide the new service, the TTC can barely handle ridership today with half of the network shut down, once the network starts to open again (spadina, Queens Quay) you will be seeing lots more problems. with limited streetcars.

For the 8,000+ people moving in shortly after the games are finished when the village units are sold off as condos.

No one will use it before the games as there are few residents. Many will use it after the games as there will be many residents.

I agree, of course, that it will get more use once the games are finished, but it's quite the exaggeration to say that no one would use it before. The Distillery is a significant attraction.

I agree, of course, that it will get more use once the games are finished, but it's quite the exaggeration to say that no one would use it before. The Distillery is a significant attraction.

The Pape bus just a good a job, and connects to the subway at roughly the same place (King Station at the moment). It's not exactly overflowing with Distillery District riders.

Both Parliament and King riders have about a 500m walk. Not something that will cause them to wait 15 to 20 minutes for a Cherry tram transfer.

Broadview doesn't get tons of ridership, but I don't see the point is removing vehicles from that street in order to put them onto Cherry. Vehicle count is currently finite, and they would need to be removed from somewhere. Broadview is the obvious target since Cherry is a branch of King East.

Last edited:
The Athletes Village is closed to the public during the games so there is no public transit access to the site. The loop will not be finished yet as this space is intended to be used for the buses ferrying athletes around. Once the games are complete the site will reopen to the public and the streetcar loop will be finished with service to Cherry street as a 504 Branch.

The Pape bus just a good a job, and connects to the subway at roughly the same place (King Station at the moment). It's not exactly overflowing with Distillery District riders.

Both Parliament and King riders have about a 500m walk. Not something that will cause them to wait 15 to 20 minutes for a Cherry tram transfer.

Broadview doesn't get tons of ridership, but I don't see the point is removing vehicles from that street in order to put them onto Cherry. Vehicle count is currently finite, and they would need to be removed from somewhere. Broadview is the obvious target since Cherry is a branch of King East.

There was recently a discussion in the comments on Steve Munro's site about how ridership of the downtown branch of the Pape bus has gone up significantly since it's been moved from Union to King, because now people can go to King and know that they have the option of two eastbound routes (the 504 and the 72), and take whatever comes first. The Cherry branch of the 504 will benefit from this same effect. Sure, I wouldn't wait specifically for the Cherry branch, but I would go to King and take whatever comes, which would sometimes be the Cherry car.

Deliveries of the new cars will start soon(ish), which should take care of the vehicle count issue.

Deliveries of the new cars will start soon(ish), which should take care of the vehicle count issue.

Right, in 2015 they'll have a few extra.

In late 2014, there's still a possibility of Bathurst getting bus service.

Ok...I thought the comment was that it would never be used. Wonder though, if those athletes might use it on their non-competition days....but, not everything can/will/should be complete by PanAms.

Back