News   Jul 02, 2024
 879     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.4K     0 

TTC Bike Racks, Ridership, and other TTC Reports

F

fiendishlibrarian

New bus garage in Scarborough

I found this reference in a TTC report concerning the sale of the Otter Loop property on Avenue Road:

"The net proceeds from selling Otter Loop on the open market would accrue to TTC and were anticipated to provide a source of funding for future property requirements. Approximately $125,000 of the net proceeds were to have been used to acquire land for a new bus garage (Kennedy/McNicoll)"

This is the first I've heard of this. Drum118, can you shed any light? Seems to me Scarborough would have a lion's share of bus garages at four: Eglinton, Birchmount, Malvern and this new garage. North York, by comparison, only has two (Wilson, Arrow).

North York, by comparison, only has two (Wilson, Arrow).

The new Mount Dennis garage would be only a stone's throw from North York, but would actually be in York. The old City of Toronto is garageless (well, except for the Wheeltrans garage) after the closure of Danforth and old Eglinton - it also had Lansdowne and Davenport until the 1990s.

I heard rumous of this from a certain nameless politican.

That area is quite the industrial wasteland. Really it couldn't be any worse the wear with a TTC bus garage there.

Land around Kennedy and McNicoll are being gobbled up fast. The west side of Kennedy is already developed. Mon Sheong (senior homes) and a new Chinese church will take over most of the northeast corner of the intersection. Two Chinese malls will be going up across the railway tracks, on the Midland side of McNicoll.

Mon Sheong is probably fuming over the prospects that its residents will have to live with bus fumes in the future.

There's a building along McNicoll there which is a perfect example of Avenues development.

If I recall correctly, there is talk of converting the Wheeltrans garage so that it can accommodate some regular buses too.

Is there any talk of saving the Otter Loop shelter? It almost seems the last of its postwar-modern sort remaining...

I don't believe so. I think the plan is to convert it into a heart-shaped park to be known as Proposal Park.

Then let me make that suggestion: save the shelter (somehow)...

There are plans for another garage in Scarborough for the new LRT's and depending on bus requirement, another bus garage could end up there also.

Keep in mind the deadhead distance as well traving time to/from routes.

Orion VII seating covered elsewhere. I have gone through the commission reports so you don't have to.

If you really want to navigate the terrible HTML reports for the Jan 31 meeting, go right ahead, though:

www.ttc.ca/postings/gso-comrpt/

1. Bike racks - A new design of bike rack will be used (supposedly in consultation with users and staff). Decision of what new routes will get the racks will come in September, when new buses with the racks will arrive and Mount Dennis Garage opens, with the resulting route reassignments. Current routes (7, 29, 47, 98, 161) will keep the racks.

2. The old lighting poles on the Yonge Line from "Sum-mer HILL" to Bloor will be replaced. (Sniff) These have the "baby" versions of the arc lamps still prevelant in Toronto (Brampton had these style as well in the old town boundaries, almost all are gone)

3. Official implementation of the new loop at Kennedy for route 42 as Wylie showed in a recent photo thread.

4. Rollout of security cameras (which I support, unlike the shields) will be focused on Orion V and VII buses, which will remain (according to report, will be 90% of buses at end of year), with streetcars and other buses later 2007, all to finish early to mid 2008.

5. Ridership (from operating budget item)

Ridership in 2006 was budgeted at 436 million reflecting the estimated impact of the fare increase in April 2006....

During 2006, the TTC has experienced a continuation of the positive trend in ridership growth that began in 2004, and ridership grew to 444.5 million. This continued growth in ridership is due to a number of factors including:

· Higher than forecast ridership growth generated by employment/economic activity;

· Strong sales growth of Metropasses reflecting:
- The policy decision to “cap†the Metropass price below $100/month;
- Continued growth of the VIP Program both in terms of new participants as well as increased volumes for existing customers;
- Higher than anticipated switching of fare media categories due to the introduction of transferability in September 2005;
- Introduction of the Federal Tax Credit in July 2006; and

· Lower than forecast ridership loss from the April 2006 fare increase.

Based on the most recent economic forecasts for 2007 and the impact of planned improvements to service and fare offerings, TTC ridership is forecast to increase to 454 million in 2007.

6. Approval of funding for Waterfront West EA (CNE to Roncesvalles). Final EA approval is expected to be obtained in the late summer of 2008.

7. (Edit) Bus Disposal
New 330 buses (150 Orion VII hybrid and 180 Orion VII diesel), which include the 100 extras, will replace 230 older ones, which include:
- 70 GM buses purchased in 1982/ 1983, (boo!)
- 63 GM Classic buses purchased in 1987 (boo!)
- 97 Flyer D-40 buses purchased in 1988 and 1989. (meh, but they're still in good enough shape, it seems)

"3. Official implementation of the new loop at Kennedy for route 42 as Wylie showed in a recent photo thread."

Seriously, who can I complain to about the loop? There's a new loop, but they still force you to get off west of Kennedy...the bus then continues almost halfway to Midland where the loop is and comes back west - there's no bus stop at the loop and I don't think one is planned, even though it would save me almost 5 minutes of walking.

I asked the driver to just let me off in the loop but he said no...he was in a bad mood because the back door kept getting stuck open. Of course, he sat and waited at the loop for like 30 seconds, watching me walk toward him.

You're kidding!

Here's the "official word", touting it as an improvement. Maybe one day the stops will be installed.

The Fixer, perhaps.

DISCUSSION

The new loop (“McNicoll/Kennedy Loopâ€) is located on the north side of McNicoll Avenue, approximately 375 metres east of Kennedy Road on a site that has been acquired for the TTC’s next bus garage (see map, attached). The loop initiates operational activities on the new garage site and, at the same time, also resolves several outstanding issues with the old Silver Springs Loop, which was always intended as a temporary facility, and was never paved nor improved to a satisfactory long-term standard. The old loop had no sidewalks, the lighting was substandard, and the turning radius for buses was too tight. It was located an inconvenient distance west of Kennedy Road, a major destination and transfer location for and required customers to walk to and from Kennedy Road to transfer to and from buses on the 43 Kennedy bus route. The old loop was located in L’Amoreaux Park, and the City of Toronto wished to reclaim the site for park uses.

The new loop is in a better location for customers than the old loop. Direct service is provided to the McNicoll Avenue/Kennedy Road intersection. This is especially important for TTC customers travelling to or from the Mon Sheong Scarborough Long Term Care Centre, at the north- east corner of the intersection. The extension also allows transfers between the affected branches of the 42 Cummer and 17 Birchmount bus routes and the 43 Kennedy bus route. Councillor Del Grande has been highly supportive of the construction of the new loop, and the extension of the bus routes.

Construction of the new loop was essentiallysubstantially completed in early January 2007, and service was extended from Silver Springs Loop to the new McNicoll/Kennedy Loop on January 14, 2007. Service operates to the new loop from approximately 6:00 a.m. to midnight, Monday to Saturday, and from approximately 8:00 a.m. to midnight on Sundays. There has been no change to service levels on the routes, and there has been no increase in operating costs. The old loop is now in the process of being removed and the site will be returned to parkland.

The new McNicoll/Kennedy Loop built to a proper long-term standard at a better location.signifies the beginning of operational activities on the site of the new McNicoll Garage, and has been built to TTC design standards. The loop may need to be modified or re-aligned when the new garage is constructed on this site. The timing of construction of the new garage has not yet been finalized, but the need for the garage may be accelerated by the service improvements planned as part of the TTC-City’s Building a Transit City initiative.

So that's where the new garage is going? Ha ha, right next to the Mon Sheong Home...I'm sure they're thrilled.

Back