News   Apr 16, 2024
 169     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

Trolls, why are posters allowed to dismiss people they don't agree with as trolls

spider

Member Bio
Reaction score
UT is a vehicle for discussion yet too often a poster is screamed at as a troll because of their non conforming position on a subject.
Worse still is the willingness of a Moderator to ban a member because he or she is not toeing the line, what happened to debate?

It seems to me that too often the TROLL card is played as a last desperate measure to get rid of a line of thought that can't be answered in a rational or intelligent way.

Last edited:
No offense, but please review the rules, pay particular attention to:

Only one username per person
Reasons to be banned: Registering under more than one user name; Registering under a new alias after previously being banned

When an individual have close to 20 different aliases over time, I think we are more than justified to take action at any time of our choosing.

MoD

With respect, I imagine playing "whack-a-mole" with banned members showing up with new names is a problem but is not the problem I addressed, namely that of members being banned apparently because their views were not popular earning them the "troll" accusation.

I found the opinions stated by a couple of the more recently banned members to be rational and politely presented. I don't know if they were previously banned for some reason, perhaps your action would appear more acceptable if this were made public.

With respect, the timing of this thread is a tad interesting, I would say. But just to entertain you for the sake of doing so, again, refer to the UT Rules:

Trolling
- No trolling, which is to say that a post or an ongoing series of posts of an antagonistic and disruptive nature, including borderline pathological attention to certain threads, which add little new perspective or information, and those which will only serve to needlessly and baselessly provoke a particular member or a group of members, are prohibited. An occasional harsh but fair comment would not be considered trolling.

MoD

With respect, the timing of this thread is a tad interesting, I would say. But just to entertain you for the sake of doing so, again, refer to the UT Rules:

Trolling
- No trolling, which is to say that a post or an ongoing series of posts of an antagonistic and disruptive nature, including borderline pathological attention to certain threads, which add little new perspective or information, and those which will only serve to needlessly and baselessly provoke a particular member or a group of members, are prohibited. An occasional harsh but fair comment would not be considered trolling.

MoD

With diminishing respect and no need to be entertained I refer you to this: An occasional harsh but fair comment would not be considered trolling. As a moderator the onus is on you to define "harsh" and "fair".

Your comment regarding interesting timing comes across as a little obtuse unless you are accusing me of being a mole to be whacked, in which case whack away even though I am innocent. I have another life.

Back