501     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Tribeca is `lost, lonely and unlovable': Hume

A

Archivistower

From the Star, April 3:

CHRISTOPHER HUME

Context is everything; and in the case of Tribeca, a nondescript office tower conversion sitting on the southeast corner of Don Mills Rd. and Eglinton Ave., that's a serious problem.

Not only is this one of Toronto's most desolate intersections — and a perfect example of how a city can be destroyed when it's sacrificed to the car — the building has almost nothing going for it.

Maybe the renovators tried their best, but it wasn't enough.

The tower was originally designed and built by people who have no interest in architecture and even less in the city. That's a truly sad state of affairs, an indictment even, but the same thing can be seen over and over again throughout Toronto. Is it any wonder this is a city in decline?

Poor Tribeca! With its absurd name and its dreadful location surrounded by parking lots, highways and litter, it doesn't stand a chance.

One can't help but feel sorry for this unfortunate edifice —lost, lonely and unlovable, brought into the world by uncaring builders and sold to an indifferent public.

Plain, awkward, clumsy, it is an instantly familiar mix of glass and concrete. The entrance faces north onto a parking lot, ensuring that it has no relationship to Don Mills.

That's understandable to some extent, but ultimately just another example of the builders' failure to respond to the context, let alone try to create one.

Worst of all, Tribeca isn't alone. Indeed, it could stand as a symbol of what Toronto has become, a city in freefall.
------------------------------
No one seems to have posted this, so I thought I would, and add a comment about the last sentence. What's up with this guy? Because there's a condo conversion in a suburban setting we're a city in freefall. I often agree with Hume, but I'm getting offended by these gratuitous addons that are unexplained and unjustified.

Archivis

Years of writing bitter reviews of condos rated F could have that effect on a person :b

GB

I actually like that building. Even though it's a suburban intersection, parts of Don-Mills and Eglinton could've been designed by Marcel Breuer. I like the old Mony Life building, now Tribeca, and like Archivis, wonder whether Hume would've lavished it with at least a B- if it were in a more urban location. There were a few dowdy office-to-condo redos in North Toronto that were certainly no more inspiring than the Tribeca that Hume gave a solid B+ to.

At the very least the building is no longer sittting empty and abandoned

They mustn't have bought enough ad space in the Star to warrant a good review.

So in Humes opinion giving the building a purpose to remain standing is a bad thing? Would he rather see it sitting abandoned? Maybe he would have liked to see it demolished and paved over to make way for another parking lot?

I guess they were short on news stories yesterday.

You guys give Mr. Hume too much credibility sometimes...

I agree with Geeky. Hume has been a critic so long, he looks for things to pan rather than things to celebrate. It's a nice office building that's all the better now that people are living in it. And if you've ever been inside, the lobby is quite impressive and there's some really nice original art there too.

Hume could stand to chill out for a while and try to remember why he got into writing about architecture in the first place (because he loves it, perhaps?!?).

Those who can't do (ie. practice architecture)...criticize. Like movie critics...most are just failed wannabe film-makers, so, they criticize. Same with Hume.

I live in Tribeca (with an absolutely stunning west view as you can see) and I agree that more could have been done - especially shifting the entrance to face Don Mills which would have been a fantastic change in the way the building addresses the street.

view.jpg

However, to characterize the location as desolate is rediculous and laughable. A stunning park system literally across the street connects us to the Don River and downtown by bike without using a single road in 30 minutes, a beautiful new Loblaws across the street allows us to reduce our dependance on the car, and efficient, frequent transit along Don Mills and Eglinton give us easy routes to downtown, uptown and midtown.

All this with the Don Valley Parkway a minute away (12 minutes to King and Yonge off peak), a vibrant new infill community of townhouses and detached homes to the east and one less empty building wasting away.

Hume is off his rocker on this one - why not point out that the parking lot to the north is reserved by the City for an Eglinton subway? Why not point out that just to the north is Camrost's new Camelot infill development. How about Carrington just to the west? How about talking about bringing some new life into Flemingdon Park?

He should remove that chip on his shoulder - it's not this building's fault O & Y put up so much crap over the years.

All this with the Don Valley Parkway a minute away (12 minutes to King and Yonge off peak), a vibrant new infill community of townhouses and detached homes to the east and one less empty building wasting away.

I hate those townhouses! The look horrible. Facing Eglinton but not actually on Eglinton. They should have built something with a modern look to compliment Tribeca and the other 60's type buildings in the area rather than that crappy little subdivision. Tribeca is fine though why another New York reference? The "Don Mills" wasn't good enough of a name for it?

The developer was Leib Waldman - the one facing extradition to the US for fraud, and the guy originally involved with Trump in Toronto. He was also allied with Daniels and it was a tie-in to the NY Towers up in North York. There was a whole Tribeca on the Upper East Side thing with NY style lofts and stuff.

Anyways, Waldman was a disaster for us and now that we've settled our lawsuit, we can get to the business of finally finishing some of the unfinished parts of our building.

It pleases me greatly to hear someone talk about complementing Tribeca - I think it looks good, especiaaly at night. Sorry to say, they removed the wicked mural from the lobby and walled it over. We still have the 20 foot high lobby with terrazo floors and deco styling above the elevators, though.

The building is ugly and a disaster in terms of urban design.

Why are there such vicious personal attacks against Hume for pointing out these facts?

alkay,

I think they're opinions rather than facts. Some people, myself included, actually like 60's concrete buildings sitting on big windswept plazas.

As a pair, I always liked the Forresters and Mony Life buildings (Mony Life is Tribeca now) and how they complimented the Science Centre across the street and the old Deco IBM building on the NW corner.

I also like that modern 60's look which is why I hate that pathetic subdivision to the east of it. Something "Don Mills" would have been more suitable.

Back