2.3K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 606     0 

Traveling to Toronto.

ricgon001

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I got a chance to visit Toronto in August this year. I am thinking about using this opportunity to go to as many awesome places near Toronto as possible, like hiking trails, parks like Algonquin, Niagara Falls and more. So, I have a couple of things I need advice and suggestions.
1. Please tell me about places that I can go to, from Toronto. I don't want to visit museums or anything like that. Somewhere close to nature is what I am looking for like I have already said, Algonquin Park and Niagara. It would be great if someone could name more places.
2. When I came to Toronto a few years back with family, we stayed at a furnished apartment rental. I can't afford such apartments for this trip as I am alone and I am on a budget for this trip. I would like suggestions on budget friendly accommodation options, safe and hygienic, anywhere near Toronto.
If anyone could talk about Canada weather during August-September and provide any advice, it will be a bonus for me.

Thank you!

I was talking to a guy who stayed in a really affordable George Brown student residence apartment near the Distillery. He said they rent to visitors when classes aren't in session.

If you're willing to drive a couple hours beyond Algonquin you might want to check out Killarney Provincial Park. It's spectacular for canoe tripping and way less crowded than the Algonquin lakes along the 60 corridor. Campsites on prime lakes will have been booked by now but you might get something at the east end. From there you can climb Silver Peak as a day trip which is totally worth it. Or go to the north end if you're willing to do a brutal portage, but also worthwhile. There are a couple of outfitters who can sort you out with all the kit.

Something more tame is a day hike on the Bruce trail section starting at Alpine Meadows (near Collingwood). Go northwest past the ski clubs. Beautiful views of Georgian Bay and about a 2 hour drive from Toronto.

You could also consider going to Point Pelee National Park, which is supposed to be fantastic for birdwatching.

August-September are optimal for weather. The biting insects in the back country tend to drop off by August - you could get eaten alive in May/June up north. And August should be less stifling and humid than July. If you stick around to Canadian Thanksgiving (same date as Columbus Day) you'll be rewarded with some very nice fall colours.

Anyway, have a great visit.

Last edited:
Hey guys!
I got a chance to visit Toronto in August this year. I am thinking about using this opportunity to go to as many awesome places near Toronto as possible, like hiking trails, parks like Algonquin, Niagara Falls and more. So, I have a couple of things I need advice and suggestions.
1. Please tell me about places that I can go to, from Toronto. I don't want to visit museums or anything like that. Somewhere close to nature is what I am looking for like I have already said, Algonquin Park and Niagara. It would be great if someone could name more places.
2. When I came to Toronto a few years back with family, we stayed at a furnished apartment rental. I can't afford such apartments for this trip as I am alone and I am on a budget for this trip. I would like suggestions on budget friendly accommodation options, safe and hygienic, anywhere near Toronto.
If anyone could talk about Canada weather during August-September and provide any advice, it will be a bonus for me.

Thank you!

PMAN is on point; but perhaps I can offer more detail.

So first, nature-based day trips.

(partially)inside Toronto

Rouge Park: http://www.rougepark.com/explore/park_map.php

http://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/on/rouge/activ

This park is around 20,000 acres, a substantial portion of which is within City limits.

If driving, there are multiple places to park, but its also accessible by transit.

There is camping on offer, though its bit golf-coursey for my taste.

Lots of decent shorter hikes 1km-5km

Oak Ridges Trail is also near Toronto, located north of the City, portions are merely signed, on-road connections, but others feature extended hiking opportunities through beautiful scenery.

http://www.oakridgestrail.org/

The Bruce Trail is an over 900km trail leading from Niagara on the Lake, to Tobermory.

Sections of it pass through the nearby City of Hamilton, and others run quite close to Toronto's north-west suburbs (Caledon)

Outside of Hamilton, this trail is not generally accessible by transit, though a transit + bike combo may work in some locations.

For a nice hike, near (ish) to the City, I would particularly commend the Crawford Lake/Kelso Conservation area section. Some great views of the Toronto skyline, while being in some fairly deep forest, and the chance to hike above cliffs that often have nesting Turkey Vultures, who may be 'soaring' below you.

www.brucetrail.org

For camping in parks further afield, a friendly warning that weekend camp sites will be being booked as we speak and may already be in short supply in some parks.

There are always sites held for walk-ups/drive-ins but you take your chances w/that.

For weekends in popular parks, I highly recommend reservations.

I have no idea what your drive time tolerance is, but if you're thinking camping, I'd suggest Bruce Peninsula National Park (about 4 hours south-west of Toronto by car)

I'd also recommend Awenda Provincial Park, great hiking, wildlife, nice swimming.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/on/bruce

http://www.ontarioparks.com/park/awenda

For other day trips, you might consider Elora, ON

Which is a small historical town next to the Elora Gorge.

There's some hiking there as well as rafting down the river

https://eloraraftrides.ca/

There's also the Ganaraska Trail to the east of the City (about an hour by car).

It begins in an urban-ish setting along the banks of the Ganaraska River, near a scenic town (Port Hope) and Lake Ontario.

Sections to the north feature many wilder areas.

http://ganaraska-hiking-trail.org/

Hope that's helpful.

Thank you so much for the really helpful replies.
I have heard about Killarney national park, but was not sure if it's better than Algonquin. Is it both worth visiting, one after the other?
I love canoeing, and is thrilled about it after seeing some amazing pictures from Algonquin canoe routes on the Internet.
@Northern Light I can't thank you enough for adding such a detailed post. I'll make sure to look at each an every place mentioned before making a plan.

Thank you so much for the really helpful replies.
I have heard about Killarney national park, but was not sure if it's better than Algonquin. Is it both worth visiting, one after the other?
I love canoeing, and is thrilled about it after seeing some amazing pictures from Algonquin canoe routes on the Internet.
@Northern Light I can't thank you enough for adding such a detailed post. I'll make sure to look at each an every place mentioned before making a plan.

You're welcome.

In respect of Killarney/Algonquin.

I would need to know what your hoping to do.

The parks are both large w/lots of wilderness.

Both have nice scenery though I would personally say Killarney is more 'spectacular), some very pretty rock outcrops w/breathtaking views.

But Algonquin can be lovely as well, it has more small lakes.

For day use Algonquin has many more options, many more short to intermediate trails (1km-10km or so)

It has more amenities near by, I'm told the fishing is quite good and better than Killarney (not my thing)

But it is also much busier.

Though if you get far enough in, by backpack or canoe, you are less likely to feel that, especially on a weekday.

Killarney is a bit further from the City (about 4.5 hours), its also more focussed on interior multi-day trips by backpack or canoe.

It therefore tends, most of the time to feel less busy. Though a good weather weekend will always have you seeing other hikers/canoeists/campers.

Doing both parks, meaningfully would be quite time-consuming.

So I think it would be best to focus on what you want the experience to be, and pick the one that works for you.

Again, if camping, or wanting to reserve a canoe route/backpack route, I strongly recommend getting in touch w/Ontario Parks very, very soon.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Just spend the whole time in Algonquin and you won't have to worry about long commuting times and pricey accommodations near Toronto. Just plan the canoe route carefully before getting there.

For something a little farther away, I would recommend the Agawa Canyon. Access is only by hiking trail or the Algoma Central Railway....a very scenic train ride from Sault Ste. Marie.

Last edited:

Back